What the HE double hockey sticks are they thinking!!!!!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The reaction online every time Disney increases costs or implements new fees is predictable.  Outrage, and proclamations of "I'm done!  I'm spending my vacation dollars elsewhere!".  I've done it myse

OK, I just figured out how to pay much "less" for your parking if you are driving into Disney, and it will work for any resort. PLUS, it will give you the pleasure of costing Disney money, instead of

I remember when value season at resorts used to be almost all year other than summer, Easter and Christmas. When the dern rate schedules started having 20 categories and only about 6 weeks of values r

What Jason posted lines up with what was posted on WDWMagic, which presumably comes right off the Hub..

Standard Overnight Parking charges per Resort Category:

• Disney Value Resorts: $13 per night
  • Disney Moderate Resorts: $19 per night
  • Disney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per night
  • Complimentary standard parking is available to Guests staying at the Campsites at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort. Each campsite provides parking space for one (1) motorized vehicle.

Complimentary standard self-parking is available for dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels.

Disney vacation Club Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Registered Guests of Disney Resort Hotels, select Annual Passholders, Premium Passholders and Disney Premier Passport holders will continue to receive complimentary standard self-parking at Disney Theme Parks.

Discuss on the Forums

Article Posted: Mar 14, 2018 / 11:43am ET

https://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/walt-disney-world-resorts-information/news/14mar2018-disney-to-begin-charging-for-overnight-self-parking-at-its-walt-disney-world-resort-hotels.htm

Since the Disney Resort Guests are now paying $25 a night to park their vehicles, they are paying the same as a day guest staying elsewhere.  Therefore they really aren't getting "complimentary standard self parking at Disney Theme parks".

3 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Since guests who drive to WDW will now pay more, will we see a charge for DME in the future? 

I think that is a driving force.  If they can get more people to fly in and take the "free" DME, then they succeed in having more gusts captive to Disney World and unable to spend their money off property.  I don't see DME changing, but they've surprised me before. :lol:

Just now, Starbuc71 said:

On good note, 3 days parking at a deluxe resort equals 1 day golf cart rental...lol. You choose.  Drive to Tennessee and make Dollywood you new destination of choice

I love going to Tennessee.  We stay in Townsend, but drive up to Pigeon Forge.  We'll have to try Dollywood sometime. 

As expected, Disney released the confirmation that effective for reservations made March 21, 2018, and thereafter, there will be fees for standard overnight parking. The fee will be applied to their hotel folio upon checking out of their resort, as reported by My Mickey Vacation Travel.

The official announcement is expected to come from Disney sometime on Wednesday or Thursday, but the news is already out there. According to WDWNT, the policy of charging resort guests overnight parking fees is going to begin as early as next week.

Along with this new policy, valet parking fees at Walt Disney World Resort hotels are also expected to be increased.

Valet parking rates are expected to increase from $25 to $33 once the other changes are put into place. For Disney Vacation Club (DVC) members staying in Deluxe Villas, it has been reported that there will be no charges for overnight parking.

34 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

I think that is a driving force.  If they can get more people to fly in and take the "free" DME, then they succeed in having more gusts captive to Disney World and unable to spend their money off property.  I don't see DME changing, but they've surprised me before. :lol:

And don't forget the Minnie Vans. With the parking fee, guests will skip renting a car. They just need to slow down the bus service a little more, and that will drive business to the Minnie Vans. 

Disney always wins.

TCD 

2 hours ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

What's odd to me is this doesn't stop people from saying they are going to eat at a resort and then hopping a bus or monorail to a park, giving them free park parking.

I would have guessed they would try to stop that, but then again that takes effort, tacking on a fee to a room reservation is easy.

So if you're a passholder...do they do anything if you leave your vehicle in the theme park parking lots over night?  

WBI

You're assuming that the parking lots will be configured as they are now. It wouldn't take much to put up some barricades, gates and booths for parking attendants. They can create a visitors lot, and issue everyone who enters a card. If you stay more than whatever pre-set amount of time they want to give you- you have to pay to exit the lot. Even paying a couple of retirees or college kids minimum wage to staff the booths, they will still make a fortune. 

TCD 

I predict that we will hear a lot more about protection of grass and vegetation at the Fort in the coming months.  Notices about tires off the pavement seem to have died down a bit, but I expect those to ramp back up as they attempt to enforce the "one motorized vehicle per campsite" rule.  I also expect we'll hear a lot about enforcement of parking rules for utility trailers, tow dollies, etc.  It will be interesting to see how they handle the parking of such items in the overflow lot going forward.  Lots of folks keep those at the campsite, especially behind their RV pushed off onto the pine needle covered ground.  Will that be ok?  Once again, a rule created for all resorts will have unique implications for the Fort, which Fort management will have to figure out how to handle, at least temporarily until they throw their hands in the air and, once again, anything goes.  

23 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You're assuming that the parking lots will be configured as they are now. It wouldn't take much to put up some barricades, gates and booths for parking attendants. They can create a visitors lot, and issue everyone who enters a card. If you stay more than whatever pre-set amount of time they want to give you- you have to pay to exit the lot. 

TCD 

This is exactly how they do it at Hershey Chocolate World, park for free for a very limited time then after that they start charging at a high rate, this discourages people from trying to park there seeing it is closer to the entrance for the theme park.

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You're assuming that the parking lots will be configured as they are now. It wouldn't take much to put up some barricades, gates and booths for parking attendants. They can create a visitors lot, and issue everyone who enters a card. If you stay more than whatever pre-set amount of time they want to give you- you have to pay to exit the lot. Even paying a couple of retirees or college kids minimum wage to staff the booths, they will still make a fortune. 

TCD 

They already have gates with parking attendance at every resort if I remember correctly. So it’s not gonna cost them any more money then they’re spending now. 

Just now, h2odivers...Ray said:

They already have gates with parking attendance at every resort if I remember correctly. So it’s not gonna cost them any more money then they’re spending now. 

Well if they do the one method that was mentioned that overnight guests have the fees added to their room, then that would take care of that group paying.

But what about the slick ones that drive in, say they are just shopping, then go check in for their stay and claim they took and Uber, taxi, friend to the resort.

Will there be a sectioned off lot for day guests like TCD mentions, and if there is a car left there overnight it gets ticket/warned/booted/towed?

This is really silly to an educated consumer.  You can say it's because all of the other hotels are doing it, but the fact that you didn't do it was the incentive to come there!  Its equally silly as the way that the paid parking at the gates of the theme parks are collecting the fee one minute,  and suddenly without rhyme reason or a time schedule,  wave you through the next and then leave the gates completely unattended an hour later. 

Say what you want, but Im not afraid to admit I frequently make up a story of what I'm doing rather than tell the truth to the gate keeper as a matter of inconsistent charging practices.  I refuse to pay a fee, a steep one at that, when you will let people in for free maybe 5 minutes later.