What the HE double hockey sticks are they thinking!!!!!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The reaction online every time Disney increases costs or implements new fees is predictable.  Outrage, and proclamations of "I'm done!  I'm spending my vacation dollars elsewhere!".  I've done it myse

OK, I just figured out how to pay much "less" for your parking if you are driving into Disney, and it will work for any resort. PLUS, it will give you the pleasure of costing Disney money, instead of

I remember when value season at resorts used to be almost all year other than summer, Easter and Christmas. When the dern rate schedules started having 20 categories and only about 6 weeks of values r

1 hour ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

One of my fellow agents at Mouse Counselors asked when calling in and Cabins will be charged the moderate level fee. 

Ok, that one surprises me a bit.   Yes they are a moderate resort, but they are certainly different than the others, including having a parking space right at the unit like a campsite.   I figured $400/ night was enough for a fully depreciated park model with fake log siding slapped on, and that they'd classify the cabins similarly to the campsites.  But I suppose they need to be consistent with the other moderates.

Also surprised about the cabins its not like that parking space cab be used by anyone else. Does raise a point about the overflow lot though, will be that be either moderate or value rate depending on whether you are in a cabin or campsite.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Travisma said:

You should be in advertising!

I've said it before... it's all about the marketing  B)

13 hours ago, keith_h said:

I've been thinking this might actually be good for the Fort if it stops the folks with more than one vehicle from parking halfway out in the road.

It will be interesting to see if the new policy of campsites not charging for ONE vehicle will mean they actually start charging people for extra vehicles.  And of course consistently enforcing policy has not been the Fort's strong suit.

So, as a resort guest, will I pay for resort parking but still get free theme park parking? I always rent a car when there because I despise the busses.  This may drive me off the resorts.  I get a rate of 45 dollars a night at the hotel chain I retired from. Don't know if I love the Disney bubble that much anymore. 

10 minutes ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

So, as a resort guest, will I pay for resort parking but still get free theme park parking? I always rent a car when there because I despise the busses.  This may drive me off the resorts.  I get a rate of 45 dollars a night at the hotel chain I retired from. Don't know if I love the Disney bubble that much anymore. 

WOW! 

You must really love Disney if you pay their resort prices instead of the discount you get.

Even if you had to pay parking at the parks that's still a lot less expensive than the cheapest Disney resort.

I'm assuming they ask at check in if you have a vehicle. Then they give you a pass to put on the dashboard with the checkout date written in red marker.  And add the charge to your bill.  And then patrol the lots looking for cars without passes on the dashboard.  

This totally sucks. I'm going to state bluntly that the mouse has totally turned me off with a lot of the stuff they are doing lately, and I think this is the straw that breaks the camel's wallet. Pretty sure I'm going to spend the next few years checking out other parts of the country and skiing in the winter as opposed to giving them my $$. Might squeeze in a Food & Wine trip, but it's getting to the point that I can't justify the costs for the benefits any more. Especially with a large family and limited lodging options.

Maybe after the 50th hoopla has come and gone we'll plan a family trip again, but for the immediate future I think I'm out.

Just now, shoreline99 said:

This totally sucks. I'm going to state bluntly that the mouse has totally turned me off with a lot of the stuff they are doing lately, and I think this is the straw that breaks the camel's wallet. Pretty sure I'm going to spend the next few years checking out other parts of the country and skiing in the winter as opposed to giving them my $$. Might squeeze in a Food & Wine trip, but it's getting to the point that I can't justify the costs for the benefits any more. Especially with a large family and limited lodging options.

Maybe after the 50th hoopla has come and gone we'll plan a family trip again, but for the immediate future I think I'm out.

And you/loyal customers are the ones they are screwing over and more than likely don't care.

There is a sucker born every minute, and for every person that says "they've had it", there are 10 ready to come down and spend like there's no tomorrow.

And with the fiasco of trying to get a site it's just made it hard to have a good time.

Some one posted earlier, maybe this is a way to herd the fliers into using the Magic Express and Minnie Vans instead of renting a car then paying to park on top of the rental fee. That way it keeps them on property.

People that drive there will just have to suck it up.

I wouldn't be surprised it they have studied this for quite a while comparing how many suckers  guests drive compared to ones that fly in. They must've seen something that make this fiasco make sense.

To some visitors this is just the cost of doing business with THE MOUSE, so they will suck it up and just add a couple of months payments onto their credit cards... no big deal.

It's the loyal repeat visitors that will be getting hurt the worst and will start staying away.

10 minutes ago, Travisma said:

It's the loyal repeat visitors that will be getting hurt the worst and will start staying away.

Totally agree. I wonder how long it will be before DVC starts feeling the crunch. It's certainly no value anymore, unless the intent is to herd their 'loyal repeat visitors' even more towards DVC purchase to maintain the 'discounts' that they already enjoy (free parking, no resort fees, etc).

It's funny how many people we know with younger kids making their first trips to WDW and totally overspending on everything now. Disney gives the hard sell on the dining plan, especially the top tier one - who the heck can eat two or three sit down meals a day? Heck, who can get the reservations? And all the add-ons that you  MUST purchase for your kids: dessert parties, boutique trips, etc etc etc.

It's going to be all about milking the first timers and the slow death by 1,000 extras.

My gosh, I think I'm getting as cynical as TCD.

Like most here, I don't like the new parking charge.  But, what if Disney raised the price of a room by $25/night, and maintained free parking?  Would people be as upset?  Disney would make more $ by raising the room rate because it would capture the fly-ins and bus-ins as well.  Besides raising cash, maybe this is an attempt to reduce traffic as well?  I don't know.

4 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

Totally agree. I wonder how long it will be before DVC starts feeling the crunch. It's certainly no value anymore, unless the intent is to herd their 'loyal repeat visitors' even more towards DVC purchase to maintain the 'discounts' that they already enjoy (free parking, no resort fees, etc).

It's funny how many people we know with younger kids making their first trips to WDW and totally overspending on everything now. Disney gives the hard sell on the dining plan, especially the top tier one - who the heck can eat two or three sit down meals a day? Heck, who can get the reservations? And all the add-ons that you  MUST purchase for your kids: dessert parties, boutique trips, etc etc etc.

It's going to be all about milking the first timers and the slow death by 1,000 extras.

My gosh, I think I'm getting as cynical as TCD.

And how many DVC people can just book when and where they want to go without having as much of a hassle as us trying to book a fort site?

The DVC has been oversold, no wonder they are renovating resorts and converting parts to DVC and building more DVC rooms and resorts.

It's become a Ponzi scheme and it's starting to collapse on them.

7 minutes ago, Travisma said:

And how many DVC people can just book when and where they want to go without having as much of a hassle as us trying to book a fort site?

The DVC has been oversold, no wonder they are renovating resorts and converting parts to DVC and building more DVC rooms and resorts.

It's become a Ponzi scheme and it's starting to collapse on them.

But it's the Best Kept Disney Secret!

On 3/14/2018 at 10:25 AM, Beckers said:

I’m getting less and less likely to want to send as much on a Disney vacation. We are going to Lake Placid this summer and while that’s not in the same category as Disney I’m looking forward to something new and less expensive ? 

We spend a lot of time up in the Adirondacks, it's so nice up there. Let me know when you're getting close and I can give you some recommendations for things to do in the area.

7 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

We spend a lot of time up in the Adirondacks, it's so nice up there. Let me know when you're getting close and I can give you some recommendations for things to do in the area.

Have you gone to the Wild Walk at the Wild Center in Tupper Lake

http://www.wildcenter.org/visit/wild-walk/

It was fun, but we drove up from the Poughkeepsie area and back in one day.  It was a loooong drive.  About 4 hours 230 miles one way.

I think I would've enjoyed it more if it was only like an hour to get there.

I hate parking fees at any hotel. I feel that I am already paying to stay there why should I pay to park there....just another example of nickel and dime tactics. Nobody should be surprised Disney is pulling this one, after all of the other increases, surge pricing, amenity reductions, etc. It will only change when people stop going. But with all of the new attractions opening I don't see a demand issue in the future.

On 3/14/2018 at 10:25 AM, Beckers said:

I’m getting less and less likely to want to send as much on a Disney vacation. We are going to Lake Placid this summer and while that’s not in the same category as Disney I’m looking forward to something new and less expensive ? 

You should try the Wild Walk at the Wild Center in Tupper Lake  It's 30 miles west of Lake Placid

http://www.wildcenter.org/visit/wild-walk/

It was fun, but we drove up from the Poughkeepsie area and back in one day.  It was a loooong drive.  About 4 hours 230 miles one way.

I think I would've enjoyed it more if it was only like an hour to get there.

2 minutes ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

I hate parking fees at any hotel. I feel that I am already paying to stay there why should I pay to park there....just another example of nickel and dime tactics. Nobody should be surprised Disney is pulling this one, after all of the other increases, surge pricing, amenity reductions, etc. It will only change when people stop going. But with all of the new attractions opening I don't see a demand issue in the future.

There was an interesting business article a couple of years back.

They stated that the hotels learned from the airline industries charging for everything.

A lot of the free amenities at the hotel now cost.

From holding luggage to using the business center, to parking and resort fees.

They saw the airlines getting away with it and followed suit.

All businesses are the same from drug dealers (the first bag is free) to Amazon.

They get you hooked on something, then slowly start raising prices.

Amazon already increased the cost of a Prime membership, and I'm sure they will do it again soon to cover the cost of "free" shipping.

How many times has Starbucks raised prices the last couple of years.

And people go along with it.

Investors want to see continual increases in revenue. Fees are a great way to do this when you can't grow revenue by other means. Disney has a finite number of rooms and adding more is expensive. Charging for things like parking allow them to increase revenue on the cheap utilizing resources they already have. I'm not saying I like it but that is the way it is. Disney isn't alone in this regard. Just look at banks and how much of their revenue comes from fees these days. Disney like many other companies tends to target those groups with the most disposable income. In the US this is typically those in the upper 30% of household incomes. To them a $25 parking fee or 10% room increase is a drop in the bucket so companies know they can get away with it.

52 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Investors want to see continual increases in revenue. Fees are a great way to do this when you can't grow revenue by other means. Disney has a finite number of rooms and adding more is expensive. Charging for things like parking allow them to increase revenue on the cheap utilizing resources they already have. I'm not saying I like it but that is the way it is. Disney isn't alone in this regard. Just look at banks and how much of their revenue comes from fees these days. Disney like many other companies tends to target those groups with the most disposable income. In the US this is typically those in the upper 30% of household incomes. To them a $25 parking fee or 10% room increase is a drop in the bucket so companies know they can get away with it.

I agree with everything you said except your last sentence. 

Why bring class war fare into the discussion?

what makes you think the top 30% of Americans think a $25 parking or 10% rate increas is a drop in the bucket?

the top 25% of Americans make $67,280. And I bet there are a few people on this board that fall into that group.  And i haven’t heard anyone here say that it’s a drop in the bucket. 

Im sorry but whole class war fare thing is one of my pet peeves.  I just don’t understand why people are so against people just because they have more money than others.  

Btw  one day i hope to be one of those rich people  😂 

Please ignore my rant.   

48 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I agree with everything you said except your last sentence. 

Why bring class war fare into the discussion?

what makes you think the top 30% of Americans think a $25 parking or 10% rate increas is a drop in the bucket?

the top 25% of Americans make $67,280. And I bet there are a few people on this board that fall into that group.  And i haven’t heard anyone here say that it’s a drop in the bucket. 

Im sorry but whole class war fare thing is one of my pet peeves.  I just don’t understand why people are so against people just because they have more money than others.  

Btw  one day i hope to be one of those rich people  😂 

Please ignore my rant.   

Based on what I've seen for US Census statistics the top 25% would have annual household incomes start around $100K. Top 30% around $90K. The median about $59K. That will vary some as to where you live. In my  area the median income is around $71K base on 2016 numbers so our top 25% will likely be somewhat higher than the national range.

I'm sorry you don't care for my statement but these are exactly types of conversations that we would have internally when discussing how to design our software products to help our customers tap into this demographic. Our customers were having these same discussions as well and using the same terms. Pricing of fees is very much done with the mindset that they have to be an innocuous amount such that they aren't really noticed when the statement comes out. I might have been a bit course in the way I worded it but when you're looking at a $200/night or more then adding in the taxes and other trip costs that $13-$25 parking won't be noticeable. While I don't like fees, I don't think anyone wants to pay more, I accept them as normal part of doing business. As an investor I expect companies to find ways to increase revenue and fees are one of those means to do it. By the way to me $25/day is a drop in the bucket when included with all of the other costs. I've paid more for hotel parking in some of the large cities we've traveled to with similar rack rates to WDW.