What the HE double hockey sticks are they thinking!!!!!

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

So we're less than a week away, and still no official announcement to the general public from Disney?  Cowards. 

TCD 

It's been on the news in Orlando and in the paper.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/theme-park-rangers-blog/os-bz-disney-world-hotels-parking-fee-20180314-story.html

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The reaction online every time Disney increases costs or implements new fees is predictable.  Outrage, and proclamations of "I'm done!  I'm spending my vacation dollars elsewhere!".  I've done it myse

OK, I just figured out how to pay much "less" for your parking if you are driving into Disney, and it will work for any resort. PLUS, it will give you the pleasure of costing Disney money, instead of

I remember when value season at resorts used to be almost all year other than summer, Easter and Christmas. When the dern rate schedules started having 20 categories and only about 6 weeks of values r

This is just the logical extension of what Disney has been doing for several years now:  monetizing things, services, and events that used to be free or were included in the park fees or hotel bills...... The Year of a Million Schemes....

Instead of expanding the parks, or the parking, Disney has created artificial demand and then charge handsomely for fulfilling that demand.

Couple that with a doubled US population since WDW opened, and you've got too many people chasing too few goods and services.

My guess is that it will get worse before it gets better. As others have said above, resort fees are coming plus whatever other things they can dream up.

The reaction online every time Disney increases costs or implements new fees is predictable.  Outrage, and proclamations of "I'm done!  I'm spending my vacation dollars elsewhere!".  I've done it myself...many times.  And I have reduced frequency of visits, and gone to other places.  And yet, WDW attendance has not declined, and most of us do return at least occasionally.  Why?  Because, let's face it, there is nothing comparable elsewhere.  Sure, there are other theme parks, resorts, and fun destinations.  But there is no other place that offers everything WDW does in one massive, magical, pixie dust filled bubble.  That is why they get away with this, and will continue to get away with it.  If your local restaurant tried to keep raising prices, competition would do them in.  But at this point, Disney doesn't have that problem.  If you stay away, another American, or 15 Brazilians, will take your place.   The MK is already near capacity most days.  Pandora has helped AK approach capacity.  Just wait until SW Land opens and HS will max out.  I'm sure Epcot will get there too once they complete all of the upcoming work, and if not they'll just add more festival days.  So the point is, if you don't like this, I don't blame you.  But your choice is to suck it up, or go elsewhere.  Disney doesn't care what you do.  Their capacity is going to be maxed out for many years to come, barring a significant worldwide recession, so driving some guests away doesn't hurt them.  This is simply the law of supply and demand on painful display.    

Now, with that said, I need to go make some ADR's....

59 minutes ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

This is just the logical extension of what Disney has been doing for several years now:  monetizing things, services, and events that used to be free or were included in the park fees or hotel bills...... The Year of a Million Schemes....

Instead of expanding the parks, or the parking, Disney has created artificial demand and then charge handsomely for fulfilling that demand.

Couple that with a doubled US population since WDW opened, and you've got too many people chasing too few goods and services.

My guess is that it will get worse before it gets better. As others have said above, resort fees are coming plus whatever other things they can dream up.

You nailed it. Sad but true. Clearly this is the new normal. 

TCD 

2 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

The reaction online every time Disney increases costs or implements new fees is predictable.  Outrage, and proclamations of "I'm done!  I'm spending my vacation dollars elsewhere!".  I've done it myself...many times.  And I have reduced frequency of visits, and gone to other places.  And yet, WDW attendance has not declined, and most of us do return at least occasionally.  Why?  Because, let's face it, there is nothing comparable elsewhere.  Sure, there are other theme parks, resorts, and fun destinations.  But there is no other place that offers everything WDW does in one massive, magical, pixie dust filled bubble.  That is why they get away with this, and will continue to get away with it.  If your local restaurant tried to keep raising prices, competition would do them in.  But at this point, Disney doesn't have that problem.  If you stay away, another American, or 15 Brazilians, will take your place.   The MK is already near capacity most days.  Pandora has helped AK approach capacity.  Just wait until SW Land opens and HS will max out.  I'm sure Epcot will get there too once they complete all of the upcoming work, and if not they'll just add more festival days.  So the point is, if you don't like this, I don't blame you.  But your choice is to suck it up, or go elsewhere.  Disney doesn't care what you do.  Their capacity is going to be maxed out for many years to come, barring a significant worldwide recession, so driving some guests away doesn't hurt them.  This is simply the law of supply and demand on painful display.    

Also all absolutely right. Capitalism at its finest. Disney has the best money grubbers in the world running the company, and they are just riding the wave. Great for management and the stockholders.  Nobody is forcing anyone to buy what they're selling.  I miss the old days and the old corporate philosophy, but those are gone for good.

TCD 

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

Now, with that said, I need to go make some ADR's....

All that and a bag of chips, Dave. 

And just last night I made FP+ after adding 5 days to our upcoming trip...

25 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Article on Yahoo calls it brilliant.

Courtesy Yahoo & Motley Fool

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/disney-world-apos-greedy-move-195400848.html

Interesting article says a lot of the same things the fiends have been saying... including this little gem

Disney will find a way to milk more money out of its park guests, and while 2018 may be a hard sell in terms of new attractions, this is just one more masterful chess move for the media giant to claim checkmate next year when Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge comes online.

I think they mentioned when they started "season" pricing on the tickets, they were blatantly saying they wanted the Disney experience to be special. They wanted to make it expensive enough that the parks were not quite so full. We complain about the prices, and we complain about the crowds. Can you imagine how full the parks and resorts would be if they did not raise the prices like they have been? However, it still stinks

7 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I think they mentioned when they started "season" pricing on the tickets, they were blatantly saying they wanted the Disney experience to be special. They wanted to make it expensive enough that the parks were not quite so full. We complain about the prices, and we complain about the crowds. Can you imagine how full the parks and resorts would be if they did not raise the prices like they have been? However, it still stinks

And they were blind if they haven't seen the crowds increasing.

Plans should have been made long ago to somehow either expand the foot prints of the parks or build a new WDW somewhere else in the US or this hemisphere.

They saw the crowds increase, but I guess the per person spending didn't, so they just decided to do nothing as far as expansion.

New rides in the existing parks are good, but it's only going to put a huge strain on the already overcrowded parks.

So as we travel down this path trying to figure out if we have to pay for toads, what about golf carts. Golf Carts are motorized. What about motorcycles or scooters? As far as the Fort is concerned they will need further clarification about "complimentary standard parking" and "one (1) motorized vehicle".  Our last visit a few weeks ago two adjoining full hook up sites across from us had 5 additional vehicles, 3 golf carts and two huge tents. What about all those extra family and friend vehicles? Were they rental rv's and everyone drove in? Yikes, what a mess this could be and expensive!

I typically defend Disney's decisions as part of a "For profit" capitalism existence.  This one feels a bit over the line. One of the reasons I vacation with Disney (parks or cruises) is that I know I'm paying top dollar up front for a top notch inclusive experience. They are slowly moving to the airline model of nickel and diming.

That being said, I don't see changing my vacation habits.....For now.

11 minutes ago, caveat lector said:

I typically defend Disney's decisions as part of a "For profit" capitalism existence.  This one feels a bit over the line. One of the reasons I vacation with Disney (parks or cruises) is that I know I'm paying top dollar up front for a top notch inclusive experience. They are slowly moving to the airline model of nickel and diming.

That being said, I don't see changing my vacation habits.....For now.

Agreed. 

We however did change our vacation plans a few years ago.  And mainly because of the constant price increases.  So I put my money where are my mouth is.  

We use to stay 7-10 days each summer and 7-10 days each Christmas at a WDW Resort.  But now we stay 7 days at Wyndham bonnet creek and sometimes 3 days at a WDW Resort.   I can get a 2 bed condo at a beautiful resort that’s closer to the HS and Epcot than the Fort is.  And a $8-$10 Uber ride to the MK.   

The new  parking fee doesn’t effect us. As we typically don’t rent a car and we have APs.    

The thing that bugs me about this parking fee crap, is that it is an oblivious money grab.  Like others have said. Hotels that have limited parking I understand charging for parking.  But WDW doesn’t have that problem.  

We already pay a premium for the resorts.  Let’s be honest. If the All-Star Sports Resort wasn’t owned and on WDW property and just another offsite resort it would be 25%-40% less expensive.  And they wouldn’t be charging for parking  

Btw. I do own Disney stock. And I like when they make money.   But IMHO crap like this hurts the brand.   But not enough for the bean counters to discourage this type of crap. 

13 hours ago, Breezy2 said:

Our last visit a few weeks ago two adjoining full hook up sites across from us had 5 additional vehicles, 3 golf carts and two huge tents. What about all those extra family and friend vehicles?  

Don't even get me started.... 3 families (with usually 3-5 people per family) in one site.

One of my biggest pet peeves is this :angry:

1 hour ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Agreed. 

We however did change our vacation plans a few years ago.  And mainly because of the constant price increases.  So I put my money where are my mouth is.  

We use to stay 7-10 days each summer and 7-10 days each Christmas at a WDW Resort.  But now we stay 7 days at Wyndham bonnet creek and sometimes 3 days at a WDW Resort.   I can get a 2 bed condo at a beautiful resort that’s closer to the HS and Epcot than the Fort is.  And a $8-$10 Uber ride to the MK.   

The new  parking fee doesn’t effect us. As we typically don’t rent a car and we have APs.    

The thing that bugs me about this parking fee crap, is that it is an oblivious money grab.  Like others have said. Hotels that have limited parking I understand charging for parking.  But WDW doesn’t have that problem.  

We already pay a premium for the resorts.  Let’s be honest. If the All-Star Sports Resort wasn’t owned and on WDW property and just another offsite resort it would be 25%-40% less expensive.  And they wouldn’t be charging for parking  

Btw. I do own Disney stock. And I like when they make money.   But IMHO crap like this hurts the brand.   But not enough for the bean counters to discourage this type of crap. 

For us... Disney's increases over these past few years have become a game changer.  Unless Tom starts working more in FL, instead of 3-4 visits per year... we'll drop down to only one.   Our current AP expires in November; we have no plans to renew.

3 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Me too.  I forget who said it, but it was great advice. invest in what you know to be a good product. That's why Disney has been a part of my portfolio for decades.  But it's getting tougher to respect their model.

I remember when value season at resorts used to be almost all year other than summer, Easter and Christmas. When the dern rate schedules started having 20 categories and only about 6 weeks of values rates spread throughout the year, I was over it. It took a while, for me to finally throw up my hands and throw my ap away, but it's been over two years and I don't regret my decision to end my relationship with Disney. As locals, we went often and ate almost exclusively at tableservice restaurants. The quality kept going down while pricesj kept going up at a rapid rate. I know they didn't notice when I quit going. :(

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, PureTcrazy...rita said:

I remember when value season at resorts used to be almost all year other than summer, Easter and Christmas. When the dern rate schedules started having 20 categories and only about 6 weeks of values rates spread throughout the year, I was over it. It took a while, for me to finally throw up my hands and throw my ap away, but it's been over two years and I don't regret my decision to end my relationship with Disney. As locals, we went often and ate almost exclusively at tableservice restaurants. The quality kept going down while pricesj kept going up at a rapid rate. I know they didn't notice when I quit going. :(

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Some of us noticed. 

On 3/14/2018 at 9:28 AM, h2odivers...Ray said:

Wow!  That SMB!

Goodness don’t they charge enough for the resorts to begin with.

I hope you’re right about this being the last straw. 

And what about AP holders.? We get free parking at the parks.

I was wondering about the AP holders also.  Will I be able to leave my car in one of the park lots for my entire stay?

2 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

But then at the end of your stay you just have to go get your car from the impound lot. They probably charge less  per day than Disney.   There you go, folks....I just found a loophole! 

Considering you usually have to pay the towing fee and the daily storage fee probably not.