What the HE double hockey sticks are they thinking!!!!!

On 3/21/2018 at 9:12 PM, LONE-STAR said:

Well they for the first time ever they made me pay for our dog. Which really annoyed me because our dog just stays in our camper or rides on our cart it doesn't touch Disney property.

They said they had to make us pay now because it's $50.00 a day in the cabins. I just said OK and paid  the fee.

Are you saying they made you pay $50 day for having a dog at your campsite?  Or, did they charge you a flat fee rather than daily? I read they were charging for doggie cabin stays but the campsites also? There's a heck of a lot of dogs in the campground-that's some big bucks for Disney!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The reaction online every time Disney increases costs or implements new fees is predictable.  Outrage, and proclamations of "I'm done!  I'm spending my vacation dollars elsewhere!".  I've done it myse

OK, I just figured out how to pay much "less" for your parking if you are driving into Disney, and it will work for any resort. PLUS, it will give you the pleasure of costing Disney money, instead of

I remember when value season at resorts used to be almost all year other than summer, Easter and Christmas. When the dern rate schedules started having 20 categories and only about 6 weeks of values r

11 minutes ago, Breezy2 said:

Are you saying they made you pay $50 day for having a dog at your campsite?  Or, did they charge you a flat fee rather than daily? I read they were charging for doggie cabin stays but the campsites also? There's a heck of a lot of dogs in the campground-that's some big bucks for Disney!

I think Lone-star meant that because they started charging for dogs in the cabins they are now enforcing the daily pet fee in the loops.

Most people said previously it was hit or miss on paying the loop pet fees.

Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground welcomes dogs of any size for an additional fee of $5 per night in campsites, and $50 per night in cabins. Dog-friendly cabins are limited.

11 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Most people said previously it was hit or miss on paying the loop pet fees.

Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground welcomes dogs of any size for an additional fee of $5 per night in campsites, and $50 per night in cabins. Dog-friendly cabins are limited.

But now it may get you in trouble if you don't pay it. Failing to acknowledge having a dog would be ""Defrauding an Innkeeper".

I have a first hand report about the changes that began on March 21 regarding day visitors to the resorts. I visited two resorts on March 22, and was given access to the parking lots by stating that I was there to visit a restaurant, and showing my photo ID.

The quick answer is that nothing has changed. No parking passes. No new staff. No new gates. No way to determine which cars belong to overnight guests and which belong to those who drove into the resort to eat or shop. 

This new policy is a pure and simple money grab from honest resort guests who report that they will have a car with them during their stay. Everyone else can park for free, as has always been the case. 

Maybe one day there will be a crackdown, but for now nothing has changed for anyone other than resort guests. And certainly nothing has changed at the Fort.

TCD 

Am I the only idiot who pays the pet fee every time we visit the Fort with our dogs?  I always have them on our reservation.  

Nope, we got charged for each dog and even the cat. We didn’t have the cat listed on the reservation but she was visible in the small wire kennel at the check in station when we were greeted by the cast member. He then counted out loud 1-2-3-4-5 pets and informed us it would be $5/a day for each pet. So we got charged $25 extra each day. I did say the one was an indoor cat and doesn’t go outside but he politely reminded me she was still a pet. When we went to the site to set up I kept her in the kennel on the pad and I made sure at least all 4 of her paws touched Disney soil afterward since we were paying for the ‘privilege’
3 hours ago, bhall said:

Nope, we got charged for each dog and even the cat. We didn’t have the cat listed on the reservation but she was visible in the small wire kennel at the check in station when we were greeted by the cast member. He then counted out loud 1-2-3-4-5 pets and informed us it would be $5/a day for each pet. So we got charged $25 extra each day. I did say the one was an indoor cat and doesn’t go outside but he politely reminded me she was still a pet. When we went to the site to set up I kept her in the kennel on the pad and I made sure at least all 4 of her paws touched Disney soil afterward since we were paying for the ‘privilege’

Wait a minute.    I would have to go back and look at folios from past visits when we had more than one dog with us, but I don't recall being charged $5 PER PET.  I thought I was charged $5 per day, regardless the number of pets.   Re-reading the language Travisma pasted above isn't very clear but certainly doesn't say "per pet".

OK, I just figured out how to pay much "less" for your parking if you are driving into Disney, and it will work for any resort. PLUS, it will give you the pleasure of costing Disney money, instead of giving it to them. When you book your Disney reservation, book DME, and give them phantom airlines and flight numbers for your departure and arrival. Google MCO parking and find the cheapest parking deal you can find. I've seen as little as $3.99 a day. Drive to that parking place instead of Disney, and have them drop you at MCO, then go board DME to go to your resort. At the end of your trip, board DME for the airport, get on the shuttle to your parking spot, then head home.

If you don't want to put your entire family and all the luggage on DME and the parking lot shuttle, you could drop the family, luggage, and your grocery run off at the resort, then one of you deposit the car. Then at the end of the trip, one of you could hop on DME to get to MCO to retrieve the car, come back to WDW and retrieve the family and luggage.

Yes, it's a little bit of your time, but Disney doesn't get the extra revenue for a parking space they already have, another business does get your revenue, and your are getting every penny's worth of the "benefits" of being a Disney resort guest.

43 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

When you book your Disney reservation, book DME, and give them phantom airlines and flight numbers for your departure and arrival.

As I understand it Mears does link/check Airlines and flight numbers for MDE. 

They didn't used to. That's new then. Cause I know folks used to fly in days ahead of time, do stuff in Orlando, drop the rental car at MCO, then DME to Disney for their time there, or spend the night at the MCO hotel, and DME the next morning.

I also know a few folks that would give a different flight (with carryon only) to increase or reduce their scheduled pickup time.

I personally have flown into Orlando for work, then turned my rental car into MCO from the work trip and hopped on DME to start a Disney reservation.

Maybe phantom flight number is the wrong word. Give an actual flight number, but I don't think they confirm that you are actually booked on that flight.

Here is the thing though. You dont have to reserve a seat on Magic Express. As long as you have a confirmation number with your name on it you can walk up and tell them you need to take the bus to your resort. It is set up that way for the people who may have to fly stand by. I used it this way myself in October and had clients just the other day do this because of a last minute booking and they werent bringing bags. 

If you give them a legit flight number and time (easy enough to look one up) they wont have an issue with it. I have done this as well for clients in town with a rental before who were dropping it off at MCO and taking ME. Also for clients flying in the night before and taking ME in the morning. 

14 hours ago, Breezy2 said:

Yes  it was just $5.00 per night. It really wasn't a big deal it was just before they always told me there was no need to pay and they waved it with out me saying anything. 

49 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Here is the thing though. You dont have to reserve a seat on Magic Express. As long as you have a confirmation number with your name on it you can walk up and tell them you need to take the bus to your resort. It is set up that way for the people who may have to fly stand by. I used it this way myself in October and had clients just the other day do this because of a last minute booking and they werent bringing bags. 

I actually do find this part surprising, because that was a big deal when ME first started. You had to book it in advance. The towncar drivers and taxis insisted on that. If you didn't have a DME reservation, but still wanted to ride, they would direct you to the Mears desk to purchase a ticket. They would still put you on a DME bus, but you had to pay for it. One time I had to go home for a few days during a trip. DME only "gives" you one ride per trip. So I rode Mears from the Dolphin to get to MCO to go home, then when I came back, I went to the Mears desk next to the DME buses and bought a one way Mears ticket, and took the DME bus back.

Also, DME is a stickler about only providing transportation from "your" resort, and during your stay.

I used to do quick weekend trips with a very tiny bookbag carryon, so upon arrival, I would have Mears drop me directly to PI on Friday night, then worry about checking into the hotel later.

I would also check out of my hotel on Sunday morning, and have a 5:30 am flight home the next morning. Would go to the parks, then Pleasure Island, take a shower at the pool showers, then hop on Mears about 3 am, sleep on the flight home, and get to work.

(I was much younger in those days. I can't do those types of trips any more)

I finally wrote a note to guest services about the change (pretty much what I posted here), and just received a standard canned response. 

Dear (Me),

Thank you for your email regarding our policy for overnight resort parking.

We must occasionally make adjustments based on a variety of factors, including alignment with our domestic resorts in California and Hawaii. As you mentioned in your correspondence, the industry standard for full-service hotels is to charge a parking fee. The policy regarding resort overnight parking will apply to reservations booked on or after March 21, 2018, while Theme Park parking will remain complimentary for all Resort Guests. Information about parking for Resort Guests may be found on our website.

Complimentary parking will be available for all Guests who wish to dine, shop, enjoy activities or visit a resort for the day.

Please be assured that we are committed to providing unique experiences and quality entertainment in our Theme Parks and Resorts. 

(Me), we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us and we look forward for future opportunities to entertain you and your family.

Warmest regards,

Cassandra
Guest Experience Services
Walt Disney World Resort

My original email:

Mar 23, 2:26 PM PDT 

To Whom It May Concern;

After much thought, I decided to drop guest services a note regarding the new resort parking fee being charged to all guests with vehicles staying at ‘on property’ Disney resorts. Not that my voice means more than any other drop in the bucket, but I think that this is totally ridiculous and a complete money grab by the management. 

Our family has made many trips to WDW over the last ten years, and has almost always stayed at the Fort Wilderness Cabins. One of the main reasons we’ve chosen the cabins for our lodging is not only the theming and the atmosphere for our rather large family, but because we normally drive to WDW and like being able to park our vehicle at our cabin. Charging a per diem fee to park there seems like a real slap in the face, given that each cabin has its own parking space. Even at the larger resorts, this seems like an excessive move. 

Look, I get it. We travel to other places and we live near NYC – in an urban location where parking and land are at a premium, it’s not unexpected to pay to park overnight or by the day. At the WDW resort, where guests pay a (substantial) premium to stay ‘on property’, and the resorts have the benefits of land and relatively abundant parking, this really makes one wonder the rationale for the surcharge.

I'm going to state bluntly that WDW has really started to turn me off with a lot of the nickel-and-diming they are doing lately, and I think this is the straw that breaks the proverbial camel's wallet. I get that the higher rack rates are somewhat offset by convenience, customer service and that parking, internet/wifi and  other resort amenities (that do seem less and less each trip) would be covered at some hotels under a flat ‘resort fee’, which Disney does not charge. 

Net/net, I’m pretty sure that we are going to spend the next few years checking out other parts of the country as opposed to visiting WDW. It's getting to the point that I can't justify the costs for the benefits any more, especially with a large family. 

Maybe after the 50th hoopla has come and gone we'll plan a family trip again, but for the immediate future I think we’re out. 

Thanks for listening.

On 3/23/2018 at 8:57 PM, Katman1356...Jason said:

Here is the thing though. You dont have to reserve a seat on Magic Express. As long as you have a confirmation number with your name on it you can walk up and tell them you need to take the bus to your resort.

On 3/23/2018 at 9:50 PM, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I actually do find this part surprising, because that was a big deal when ME first started. You had to book it in advance.

So do I, the last time we used it (albeit over a year) they wanted the MDE reservation letter.

1 hour ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

So do I, the last time we used it (albeit over a year) they wanted the MDE reservation letter.

They don’t even send those now depending on how ME is set up. Since they just scan the band for info. 

I will say if you aren’t reserved ahead they will print a scan sheet right at the podium to give the driver or the last check point (sorry can’t rememver which). That was as far as I can tell for record keeping purposes as far as I can tell. 

Am I the only idiot who pays the pet fee every time we visit the Fort with our dogs?  I always have them on our reservation.  
We've always been charged/paid the pet fee all the way back to our first trip in 2004. And it's only ever been $5 per night, whether we've had 1, 2 or 3 dogs with us.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk