This would be more impressive if they didn't already have MBs.  Plus a lot of other hotels already have it.

Wonder why they are going with this now?

https://www.wdwmagic.com/other/mymagicplus/news/02apr2018-digital-key-coming-soon-to-walt-disney-world-resort-hotels.htm

Digital Key coming soon to Walt Disney World Resort hotels

Disney has today announced that it will begin rolling outs its new Digital Key feature at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Starting soon at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge, a new feature in the My Disney Experience app will allow guests to quickly unlock their hotel room using a digital key on their mobile devices.

Guests can also use their digital key to unlock the hotel entrance gate and common area doors requiring a key, which may include pools, fitness centers, elevators and club level lounges. Arriving travel parties that have checked in online may even use their digital key to bypass the need to visit the front desk, giving them the opportunity to go directly to their room when it is ready and start their vacation even faster.

The feature represents the latest evolution of keyless room entry, which Disney began offering with the MagicBand. Guests may use either or both options to enter their room during their stay.

To use their digital key, guests can opt in and activate the feature on their check-in day through a brief set up process in the app. To enter their room, guests tap the “Unlock Door” button and then hold their phone against the door lock. 

Bluetooth-enabled mobile devices with the latest version of the My Disney Experience app are required to take advantage of a digital key for room entry.

57 minutes ago, Beckers said:

I’d rather use my magic band. It’s already on my wrist so I don’t have to get my phone out, unlock it, open the app and select whatever you need to for the door to unlock. It’s more steps, does seem easier to me.

To me, it seems like a step backwards.

Only thing it may help with is getting in gate and bypassing the front desk if you didn't get magic bands in the mail and have to get them at the resort.

30 minutes ago, Travisma said:

To me, it seems like a step backwards.

Only thing it may help with is getting in gate and bypassing the front desk if you didn't get magic bands in the mail and have to get them at the resort.

But then you'd have to collect them at the front desk anyway...

I have been using the digital key at most of the Hilton branded properties I stay at when I travel for over a year now.  While it can be convenient, it can also be a major pain in the butt...  Depending on the property it can not work at all, work on some doors, or will work fine.  I have always opted to get the digital key, but find myself going down to the front desk to request a key card due to the spottiness of the service.  Also if you think about it, when coming back at the end of the day, someone has to make sure their phone's battery is not depleted so the door can be unlocked.  I hope if Disney rolls this out across the board, they get the correct equipment and the best software to run this.

8 hours ago, Duane said:

Also if you think about it, when coming back at the end of the day, someone has to make sure their phone's battery is not depleted so the door can be unlocked.

Good point-didn't think about that. Especially when I use "My Disney Experience" throughout the day while in the park and totally run down my phone battery. I definitely need to look into those portable chargers as I see more and more options such as a digital key becoming the norm.

51 minutes ago, Breezy2 said:

Good point-didn't think about that. Especially when I use "My Disney Experience" throughout the day while in the park and totally run down my phone battery. I definitely need to look into those portable chargers as I see more and more options such as a digital key becoming the norm.

Yes, and phones are even unlocking and starting cars these days.  Mine had that functionality but I disabled it after I saw Mark Zuckerberg driving my truck.   

I agree! I don't think the digital key is a big deal. I LOVE the Magic Bands. It stays on my wrist, it is waterproof, don't have to dig it out. Since my work made me encrypt my phone and put an extremely difficult passcode on it to do anything except answer a phone call, I hate the thing more and more.

52 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I agree! I don't think the digital key is a big deal. I LOVE the Magic Bands. It stays on my wrist, it is waterproof, don't have to dig it out. Since my work made me encrypt my phone and put an extremely difficult passcode on it to do anything except answer a phone call, I hate the thing more and more.

We usually stay off property, but last summer we did two trips to FQ and one to YC.  It was great opening doors w/o having to dig for a card.

Our next trip was off site and I don't know how many times as I went to the door to open it, I started putting my wrist forward, then remembered I needed a key card to open the door.

The MB make life a lot easier, not having to dig around in your pocket looking for a card, or double/triple checking as you leave the room that you have your key card with you.

That's why this seems like a big step back for Disney.

Maybe their MB cost is exceeding what they had budgeted? After all, every time you book a room or vacation they want to send you new ones. I doubt very many people opt out getting new ones and say they will reuse current ones.