GDF Visits the Dark Side

No, this isn’t a Star Wars reference. My family spent Spring Break at Universal Orlando! Can you believe it? Can you also believe I’d never been there? Yep, it’s true.

Z turned 9 the day before we left. He’s into Harry Potter now, and he’s tall enough to ride most of the rides. As a result, we decided it was time. And what’s more romantic than spending your 15th wedding anniversary at a theme park? Ha!

We celebrated Z‘s birthday with a HP themed party a week before we left. Here’s a picture from that day.

ab0e99c18c8ef8282b9b93f241cd3a19.jpg

I also have a weakness for over the top cakes.

8711b59f8bca0167517bc61221b1f7f7.jpg

I don’t have as many pictures as I would usually take for a trip report, but I have a good number. I can also share my thoughts on how Universal compares to Disney World. There are some things they do way better, and some things not so much.

If it sounds OK, come hop on the Hogwarts Express!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, this isn’t a Star Wars reference. My family spent Spring Break at Universal Orlando! Can you believe it? Can you also believe I’d never been there? Yep, it’s true.   Z turned 9 the day before we

Welcome!!!! I can't wait for the 2019 edition of that trip! 

Why does the foot hassock look like a hidden Mickey 

In and I love the cake!  We went to US in 2011 and 2012 when my kids were the right ages and into Harry Potter. I actually read the whole series between those two visits, motivated in part by going there.  Haven't been to the "new" part though. Interested to read your comparison. I found a lot to like at US, even though it's not Disney. 

I'm in, did both Universal parks in a day the last time we were in Orlando. Of the 8 of us in the group, 4 were either too short it too scared to do the roller coasters which is most of the HP stuff, interested to see what you thought.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

You know, when I read that I wondered why you'd be scared of rides in the early 90's....and then I realized it's because you were a child then!  

I feel old.  

I think you’re old enough to be my dad 😂

or not. Either way it’s funny 

24 minutes ago, Starbuc71 said:

Last time I was at universal, they had just opened up back to the future. I think I was 20. I’m now almost 50.  I guess a lot has changed. Have fun

When we went there was some huge soccer thing going on and there was a ton of Dutch (I think?) people wearing these neon orange soccer jersey and  clogs. We were on Back to the Future with them and the whole ride they were chatting in Dutch and then all the sudden the lady yells “oh sh*t” and it was clear as day. Being in 5th grade I thought this was pretty funny, we still laugh about it.

1 hour ago, Beckers said:

When we went there was some huge soccer thing going on and there was a ton of Dutch (I think?) people wearing these neon orange soccer jersey and  clogs. We were on Back to the Future with them and the whole ride they were chatting in Dutch and then all the sudden the lady yells “oh sh*t” and it was clear as day. Being in 5th grade I thought this was pretty funny, we still laugh about it.

You were in the 5th grade in the 90’s?

I'm in!  We have had Universal seasonal passes this year along with WDW water park passes.  Of course, we have stayed at the Fort the two times we have gone.  Planning to make it back at the end of May before the passes run out.  Eight nights at the Fort, though!!!   

Looking forward to your thoughts on it.  We absolutely love all the Harry Potter World stuff!!!  Of course, it looks like it was designed by an imagineer.  There is no comparison to Disney in their theming at all anywhere else.  I got heartedly sick of simulator rides.  Pro on those is that they can run in FL's rain.  Still, it got old.  That and the constant jabs at Disney - blowing up Tinkerbell in the Shrek pre-show room, etc.  I just shook my head and whispered, "Disney doesn't NEED to compare itself to you."  

There were some rides we missed - water rides mostly - and we want to go back to the HP stuff so we'll head back to finish out the passes.  

Carry on!