shoreline99

New Monorail Fleet ordered?

Internal sources are reporting that Disney has ordered a new fleet of monorails for Walt Disney World to replace the aging and problematic Mark VI monorails that have been in use at the resort since 1989.

We have also been told that the abrupt cancellation of the broadway-style Main Street Theater was necessary to free up some of the funds needed for the new monorail fleet. This makes a lot of sense, since the theater was confirmed by Bob Chapek last July at the D23 Expo, and work actually started on the project in October, only to be rumored to be cancelled in February (barely a month after the door incident), and finally removed from the Walt Disney World What’s New webpage earlier this month.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/04/rumor-new-monorail-fleet-has-been-ordered-for-walt-disney-world/

This is an interesting rumor. I hope it's true. 

20 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Interesting.  If this rumor is true, these new trains would presumably be referred to as Mark VIII?

I feel like I might be setting up a joke, but why would they skip VII?

TCD 

16 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

This is an interesting rumor. I hope it's true. 

I feel like I might be setting up a joke, but why would they skip VII?

TCD 

No, no joke.  They number sequentially for WDW and DL combined.  The current DL monorails are Mark VII, I believe.  

54 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

No, no joke.  They number sequentially for WDW and DL combined.  The current DL monorails are Mark VII, I believe.  

I didn't know that, and I'm surprised to hear it. Disneyland's monorail cars seem older to me. 

TCD 

Yes, the Disneyland monorails were new in 2008. I distinctly remember them bringing the new Monorail Red online for testing during my 08-08 trip out to Disneyland.