WAIT...forgot to mention ROADS.  The roads in Louisiana as we drove through Bossier City and Shreveport on our way to Waco... that stretch was HORRIBLE.  I actually slowed down to 40 mph on I20 and considered slowing down to 35.  Remember this.  This point, could end up being an important part to the trip. 

More on that... later. 

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK that's it looks like next year is another big trip out west, really wish the wife would retire waiting for school to end is cramping my camping!!!!!

Looks like a fantastic trip!  Well...except for that unfortunate run-in in OKC.  

Yup, totally agree. We took our kids on many road trips starting when they were very young. We visited most of the major cities on the east coast and went to Canada twice, including an adventure to Ni

14 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

But, not before I thought it a good idea, to stop for gas: 

IMG_3734_zpsyqacoqch.jpg

Yeah...cut that one, a bit close :lol:

Holy smokes! I've never gotten that close, I got down to the teens once towing and it made me so nervous I vowed to never do it again.  My parent's previous diesal was a 2004 and they ran out of fuel 2 or 3 times trusting that thing.  They got to where they didn't like to get close to 50 miles remaining.

That does look like a great Cracker Barrel, clean and well lit!

I can't wait to read more.

WBI

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

WAIT...forgot to mention ROADS.  The roads in Louisiana as we drove through Bossier City and Shreveport on our way to Waco... that stretch was HORRIBLE.  I actually slowed down to 40 mph on I20 and considered slowing down to 35.  Remember this.  This point, could end up being an important part to the trip. 

More on that... later. 

Ahh my home state!  Louisiana roads are the worst!  At least you got to avoid I10.  Seriously though it's sad how awful our infrastructure is in Louisiana.

WBI

46 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I fixed it.  :lol:

Hey bully... this isn't your trip report!

16 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

On modern diesel trucks, if you run out of fuel do you still need to prime it before it'll restart?  I still remember my Dad drilling that fear into me with the trucks and tractors on the farm.  I was too scared to ever let it run low.  

Probably.  I was definitely panicking... rethinking the same conversations (not on a farm, but regrading diesel engines) with my father.

24 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Holy smokes! I've never gotten that close, I got down to the teens once towing and it made me so nervous I vowed to never do it again.  My parent's previous diesal was a 2004 and they ran out of fuel 2 or 3 times trusting that thing.  They got to where they didn't like to get close to 50 miles remaining.

WBI

I know...it was crazy close!  I wasn't breathing, the last 10 miles.  LOL.     Yes...that CB was awesome!

19 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Ahh my home state!  Louisiana roads are the worst!  At least you got to avoid I10.  Seriously though it's sad how awful our infrastructure is in Louisiana.

WBI

See.. I had heard how terrible I10 was, but how much worse could it be than the stretch on I20 :huh:  Holy Moly!!

42 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

On modern diesel trucks, if you run out of fuel do you still need to prime it before it'll restart?  I still remember my Dad drilling that fear into me with the trucks and tractors on the farm.  I was too scared to ever let it run low.  

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't had a diesel in a long time but I think they all have a hand primer pump on them now, maybe on the filter?

4 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

More on that... later. 

I'll be looking for this. I just looked at Google maps and we'll be going that way on our way home from a wedding next month.  But in a minivan not a motor home.

And severe thunderstorms/tornados  and running out of gas are two of my biggest travel fears. I see you got those out of the way on your first day!

4 hours ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

WBI

Was down to ZERO miles to empty one time.  Thankfully I was driving a Prius in a 30-mph zone.  I very gingerly drove on battery to the gas station! I am not sure I believe those “miles to empty” things.  Bet it took less than you thought to “fill up”

4 hours ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't had a diesel in a long time but I think they all have a hand primer pump on them now, maybe on the filter?

Don't think that is a thing any longer. None of my Fords have had it. Newer diesels can be primed with the in tank pump that supplies the high pressure pump or HEUI injectors. 

8 hours ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

I'm not actually sure... just know that my father pounded into my head:  do NOT let a diesel, run out of gas.  

7 hours ago, TN22.....Brady said:

Wait a minute, you are visiting Waco and not staying with Chip and Joanna? Or maybe you haven't gotten to that part yet?

Would you believe, they wouldn't answer their door??!  They did take my money...at their restaurant though ^_^:P

7 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Wait a minute....it was posted in another thread! 

Not by me... but maybe reported, by another fiend from FB ^_^

6 hours ago, Seals said:

I'll be looking for this. I just looked at Google maps and we'll be going that way on our way home from a wedding next month.  But in a minivan not a motor home.

And severe thunderstorms/tornados  and running out of gas are two of my biggest travel fears. I see you got those out of the way on your first day!

Yeah... that section of interstate is horrible..horrible.  You'll be better in a minivan though.   

Haha... yes.  We were actually unbelievably blessed the rest of the time we were gone.  A month long trip and that first day, was the worst of it. 

5 hours ago, dblr....Rennie said:

No a secret source, wasn't a telegraph or a telephone it was a tell a Beckers!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

:lol:

5 hours ago, Dalspot ... Karen said:

Was down to ZERO miles to empty one time.  Thankfully I was driving a Prius in a 30-mph zone.  I very gingerly drove on battery to the gas station! I am not sure I believe those “miles to empty” things.  Bet it took less than you thought to “fill up”

Zero miles.. wow!  I'm guessing your Prius, would have been easier to push to the pump, than my truck and 40' 5th wheel :lol:

4 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

:lol: :bananas:  :lol:

:lol:  I'm so tough....

3 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

Subscribed! We are going to do this trip next year or the year after.

Happy you're here!

We had three nights in Waco.  The first night, we got into town between 3p and 4p.  I unhitched, set up the house and the kids went and played on "their" island ^_^  The next morning, we got up super early for the main reason we made the detour to Waco:

IMG_3864_zpsnnjjjybk.jpg

We got there early (I think we pulled in, around 7:30a), because we had heard that the line can be pretty crazy... even early.  We got lucky and the wait was only about 25 minutes.  Man, this place did NOT disappoint.  I ordered the french toast, which was served with, eggs, hash browns, bacon (you could have sausage) and this crazy good...strawberry butter (it's whipped, so very light).  I also ordered the house coffee which was excellent.  The kids each had a kid breakfast which included pancakes, egg, sausage (the chose that over bacon) and milk.  They were also given this cute little box with two sugar cookies dipped in chocolate.  Loved it!  Honestly... this alone, was worth the trip to Waco!  It was so good, that I actually took a picture of the food for y'all.  LOL :lol:

IMG_3862_zpsj1krpva2.jpg

IMG_3870_zpsnlfwvl9d.jpg

IMG_3882_zpsu34ewsaq.jpg

IMG_3893_zpsjwv0hlmo.jpg

After breakfast... we went out and explored.  We found a couple of parks (sorry, no pictures) and we also found this super cool spot:

IMG_3903_zpsincsdufb.jpg

IMG_3901_zpsu41egw0l.jpg

IMG_3902_zpsapufkkbu.jpg

IMG_3900_zpsofwtod8v.jpg

I'll admit it.. I came to Waco for the food, but the city itself is pretty neat.  Much larger than I expected... also flat, windy and dry :lol:  But it's got some cool stuff.

Next...final day in Waco.  More food and more history!

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I'm not actually sure... just know that my father pounded into my head:  do NOT let a diesel, run out of gas.  

I should hope your diesel never run out of  "gas" 🤔.   (Sorry couldn't help myself)

My bosses used to run their trucks down to 0 all the time. It freaked me out, I can't do it, they never seemed to run out though.  

Wow.  Magnolia Table looks just like it did on their TV show.  The food looks great!  While I'd love to see Waco, it's 1200 miles from home and Chip and Joanna would have to pay me several million for me to ride that far.  I can't believe you drove the distance you did on the first two days.  It would have taken me at least a week.

The next and final day in Waco, started like most days on this trip (we homeschool, so this is how we roll :P):

IMG_3933_zpsnlp9yrpw.jpg

After school... we headed out for food, history and adventures.  Chip and Joanna Gaines not only have Magnolia Table (again, amazing!), but they also have The Silos.   Located here is a store, food trucks and a bakery.  Let's be honest... we went there, for the cupcakes.  Again... AMAZING!  Which is saying a lot, as I have one heck of a sweet tooth.  The cake was dense, but moist and the frosting... mercy.  Yep.  Worth the trip to TX, just to eat the food ^_^

IMG_3967_zpsnqfbssoy.jpg

IMG_3947_zpspsql9kfi.jpg

IMG_3963_zpslnbhzf5y.jpg

After the sugar rush, we went to the Waco Mammoth National Monument.  It was very cool!  I mean literally, as the dig is secured inside a temperature controlled building :P  It was really neat to see.

IMG_3970_zpsmpjbk9na.jpg

IMG_3988_zpsmblj8urt.jpg

IMG_3998_zpsxaefijza.jpg

Okay.  Waco.  Check. 

Next:  We're off to find, the dinosaurs....