• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK that's it looks like next year is another big trip out west, really wish the wife would retire waiting for school to end is cramping my camping!!!!!

Looks like a fantastic trip!  Well...except for that unfortunate run-in in OKC.  

Yup, totally agree. We took our kids on many road trips starting when they were very young. We visited most of the major cities on the east coast and went to Canada twice, including an adventure to Ni

Next up:  Bryce Canyon (with a day trip to Capital Reef).  We had three nights here.  First impression... it was cold!  LOL.  Bryce is higher in elevation; we went from sunny and very warm to sunny/cloudy and SNOW!  It was crazy :lol:  Kids loved it and I thought the canyon was so beautiful, that the cooler weather didn't bother me too much.  We stayed just outside of the park (less than a mile) at a full hook-up CG called, Ruby's Inn.  Actually, quite a bit of the town is "Ruby's Inn" and the story behind it is interesting:  https://www.rubysinn.com/.   Here is the one picture, that I apparently took of the CG.  Can you see the snow?  We were staying in their newer, "big rig", section.  The sites were wide, but short (you would have to unhook).  The older sites have trees and are pretty, but several would be tough if you have opposing slides on your rig, as we do.  We were happy with our choice.  The staff was very friendly, the location was great and the property was clean (bathhouses and laundry room were nice).  Price was $60/night:

IMG_5101_zpslkd0unlj.jpg

After unhitching... we headed over to the park.  Bryce is much smaller than Zion and, in my opinion, can be seen in one day.  Two if you want to spend a day hiking the canyon.  It was stunning.  It really makes you gasp a little, the sight of all those Hoodoos.  While in the park, we did drive through the park campgrounds, but we did not care for them at all.  Sites are very tight and (if I recall) all are dry camping only.

IMG_5107_zpsmjjdrmep.jpg

IMG_5118_zpsjrlaiccq.jpg

IMG_5134_zpsnogej49t.jpg

IMG_5116_zpsddu2z4yi.jpg

Last year, our daughter discovered that she has a love for horses... so while we were at Bryce, she and mommy went on a 3 hour trail ride (purchase through the campground; the ride was through a neighboring canyon).  It was awesome!!

.IMG_5551_zpsyrmca0eu.jpg

Next:  pictures from our day trip to Capital Reef National Park...

Going to run out of time... so I need to push through ^_^

Capital Reef.  This is a BEAUTIFUL nation park.  A photographer's dream.  Gwen, you'd go nuts here.  It was the one place, where I wished I had an expensive/fancy camera.  My cell phone pics, do not do it justice.  The neat thing about this park, is you get to drive into the canyon.  It's awesome.   There is a sweet campground at this NP; a few sites can fit larger rigs.  I definitely would have stayed here.  If I remember correctly, the drive from Bryce to CRNP, was about 2 or 2.5 hrs each way.  Absolutely worth the drive.

IMG_5361_zpstwzatz4z.jpg

IMG_5332_zpsohpvilbh.jpg

IMG_5252_zpst6uqmm2s.jpg

IMG_5243_zps1fsrngne.jpg

On the way back to Bryce, we took Hwy 12 (noted as one of the most scenic highways in the country).  Oh my gosh.  This drive is amazing.  Here is my tip though, it is long, steep and windy... take it during the summer when you're afforded the best chance of warmer temps and pack a lunch with plans to stop once or twice during the drive.  It is beautiful.  Honestly, one of the prettiest things I've seen, but it will take a toll on you.  Not sure that I would pull a larger rig through this.  You can (nothing too windy and the climbs are somewhat gradual), but I think I'd find it very taxing.  You do drive over this one spot, that feels like a nature-made-bridge.  What I mean by that, is the road is a narrow 2 lane road with steep drops off both sides.  Poor Tom, he was driving and he is terrified of heights.  I was thankful that no one was on the road with us, as he was able to take his time.  But, if you can handle it, the views are spectacular!   I was trying to keep my husband calm, so I didn't take any pictures but really... it was awesome.  For our trip, we hit snow at the top:

IMG_5497_zpsfemjbnzf.jpg

IMG_5484_zpse8i0ma0y.jpg

Up next... the big one.  The Grand Canyon!

The last National Park on our tour, was the Grand Canyon.  We stayed two nights, inside the park, at their full hook-up property. https://www.visitgrandcanyon.com/trailer-village-rv-park.  We paid $53/night and were thrilled to be inside the park.  We thought the CG was good.  Of course, we were there to see the park, so we only spent a little time at the site.  There were a TON of elk walking around.  It was quiet, fairly easy to navigate and the rangers were super nice.  Again, no showers in the bathhouse.  I felt bad for the folks in tiny campers and pop-ups. 

My impression of the Grand Canyon?  WOW.  GASP.  IS THIS THING REAL?  WOW.   Yep.  Pretty much that.  In that order.  

I've flown over the Grand Canyon several times.  I've read about it.  Seen videos on it.  But, nothing prepared me for just how HUGE the canyon really is.  Honestly, I could have stared at it, for hours.  It was amazing.  It was simple, but complicated.  The colors were muted, but stunning.  It was awesome.  For poor Tom (who really, really does not like heights)... it was his least favorite :lol:

I was underwhelmed by the Visitor's Center.  For such a large park, I thought it left a lot to be desired however... the movie at this park, is exceptional.  Oh and the views from the Yavapi Geological Museum were CRAZY awesome!!  

IMG_5671_zpsoaz9ci3f.jpg

IMG_5853_zpsrftwpx0g.jpg

IMG_5920_zpsalqtyzgc.jpg

IMG_5917_zpsncj1egxt.jpg

These guys are sitting in the trees, right behind our rig.  Groups of them, walk freely (and often) through-out the campground and the rest of the park:

IMG_5907_zpsafpw54qa.jpg

Sunrise is my favorite time of the day... and sunrise at the Grand Canyon is a must-do experience:

IMG_5772_zpsoxhnlpi1.jpg

IMG_5797_zpsi1djk4ci.jpg

IMG_5813_zpsn6jig0gu.jpg

Next... the road home...

After the Grand Canyon, we got up super early and pulled out by 5am local time.  The reason for this, is we had over 400 miles to drive to get to Albuquerque.  Tom was flying out of Albuquerque, the next day, and this was the first campground of our trip that had an open pool.  The weather had been BEAUTIFUL and warm, the entire trip... but we were mostly staying at state and national parks, so no pools (I told the kids that the creeks were their pools, which worked for the most part...but they really wanted to swim in some chlorine.  lol).  So, up and on the road early, in order to arrive in Albuquerque in time to swim ^_^

We stayed here:  https://americanrvpark.com/   Paid $45 for a full hook-up site.  Pull through, level, did not have to unhitch.  We were VERY happy with this resort.  The staff was WONDERFUL.  The property was VERY clean.  It was quiet.  Laundry rooms were nice.  Pool was well maintained and they had a small playground.   Easy in/out off the interstate, but road noise was minimal (and I'm a very light sleeper).  The even had a small/free continental breakfast in the morning, which was basic but the area was clean, the people were nice and the kids got a huge kick out of it.  Highly recommend this place.

IMG_5930_zpsnbto6xdm.jpg

IMG_5927_zpsuk5gwghz.jpg

After dropping Tom off at the airport, the kids and I traveled down the road.  My goal was Oklahoma City, but I didn't have reservations until the next night... so I needed to find somewhere cheap to stay.  I use the Allstays app and I found a place in Alanreed, TX called:  Long Horn RV Park.  Exit 135.  Basically, someone took their front yard and installed rv hook-ups.  There were 8 or 10 spots, all pull-through with full hook-ups.  Only $20 (cash).  The owner was very, very nice.  It was quiet.  There was a field with some horses out back (which our girl loved).  It's only a place to park your rig for the night (NO amenities), but that's all we needed.  Had it not been so hot, I would have pulled into a Cracker Barrel, but we needed a/c so this place was a true gem.  Also... the exit right before it on I40 was this AWESOME rest area.  Which sounds silly, I know, but... check it out:

IMG_5963_zpsz6m5bzet.jpg

IMG_5966_zps3omzmkcd.jpg

IMG_5968_zpsz5lwqe0l.jpg

IMG_5970_zpsx7p5gjvf.jpg

IMG_5972_zpskdtqxbim.jpg

IMG_5973_zpsmjhuckzj.jpg

IMG_5976_zps7oynnqds.jpg

IMG_5978_zpsjda2uhkq.jpg

Up next... some science and a Fiend!

Yes, I'm pushing through...gotta pack for FL :lol:

Recognize this guy right here?

file%202_zpslkalh3rq.jpeg

Yep, it's Ray (h2odivers...Ray).  It was awesome to get the chance to meet and chat face to face.  Ray was a HUGE help, with locating a safe (and nice) place for the kids and I to stay in OKC.   He found us this CG:  http://www.twinfountainsrvpark.com.  It was an excellent choice.   Easy in/out, pull-through, full hook-up for $50/night.  Property was safe, quiet, well-maintained and super, super close to the activity we came to see...

Besides stopping to say hello to Ray, we were in OKC to spend time at this place:  https://www.sciencemuseumok.org .  Holy Moly.  If you have have kids, between the ages of 2 and 13... this place is a must.  It. Is. AWESOME.  To say it's large, is an understatement.  You could easily spend 2 full days here. There is so much to see.  I could post 20+ pictures of my kiddos having a great time, but instead I would encourage you to take a look at the website.  This place has over 350,000 sq ft of exhibits.  My kids LOVED it.  

Up next... final thoughts.

We had two more stops, before making it home.  One night in Arkansas and last in Mississippi.  Those last couple of nights, were bittersweet for me.  I can see why people FT.  There is so much in this country to see.  To experience it with your children, is an unbelievable blessing.   Living small, is a good fit for me.  But, having routine that includes church, clubs, play-dates, knowing my local Publix employees, my neighbors... that's a good fit too.  So, it was bittersweet.  I LOVED the SW.  So far, not a huge fan of TX.  But, TX is a big state and I haven't seen it all....yet ;)  I found Utah to be breathtaking and I hope to be able to spend more time there, soon.  I've discovered that I really like staying in state and national parks.  The amenities of a private CG are nice from time-to-time, but I really enjoy the simple tranquility that the parks can provide.  Plus, some of the time the hiking at those parks just can't be beat.  

Thanks for coming along on our journey....

file%203_zpsv2kok9fq.jpeg

Excellent report, enjoyed the whole thing and think you are a super mom for introducing your kids to a lot of what this country has. I can't imagine my wife even thinking about a trip like that.

18 hours ago, BigTom said:

Excellent report, enjoyed the whole thing and think you are a super mom for introducing your kids to a lot of what this country has. I can't imagine my wife even thinking about a trip like that.

Oh, thank you.  We had such a wonderful time; I am so blessed, to have such a supportive husband :wub:

16 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

What a great ending to your TR!  Love, love, LOVE your last photo!

Thank you for taking us along on your journey.

Thank you.  I love that last picture too.... it really captured how I was feeling, watching the sun go down before we headed up.   God was gracious and time sort-of stood still that evening. 

12 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

Lice this TR!

Hmmm....thanks?  Lice you too :lol:

48 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Great trip report!

Thanks for all the details on the campgrounds, I want to save all of those for future reference.  I'm just not sure if my kids are ready to be in the truck for that many days at a time.

WBI

It doesn't get any easier.  Don't wait until they are tied up with sports, activities, jobs, etc.  If you do, you'll end up needing to wait until you are empty nesters some day when the kids are grown and gone.  

13 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

It doesn't get any easier.  Don't wait until they are tied up with sports, activities, jobs, etc. 

X-2  We took our first long trip, 3 wks out West, when our youngest was under 2 middle was 3 & eldest was 6 and they did fine. Rally in TX then on to DL and Knott's Berry Farm. They didn't quit traveling with us until high school.

It doesn't get any easier.  Don't wait until they are tied up with sports, activities, jobs, etc.  If you do, you'll end up needing to wait until you are empty nesters some day when the kids are grown and gone.  
This is so true. I sit here now reading this report as well as following some friends current western vacation on Facebook wishing we had taken the time when the kids were younger to go. Heck now just trying to plan a trip back to Nebraska is like herding cats. If I had to do it over again, I would take more time when they were younger for these dream vacations. People always say oh they won't remember it. Go when they are older. I say go when you can and if you are fortunate go back again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

X-2  We took our first long trip, 3 wks out West, when our youngest was under 2 middle was 3 & eldest was 6 and they did fine. Rally in TX then on to DL and Knott's Berry Farm. They didn't quit traveling with us until high school.

26 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Thanks yall, very good points. W is 4 and does good on long trips, B is only 1 she can do 12 hrs pretty good, but we haven't pushed her past that.  I know they can handle long days in the car, but we haven't done multiple days in a row yet.

WBI

3 minutes ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

This is so true. I sit here now reading this report as well as following some friends current western vacation on Facebook wishing we had taken the time when the kids were younger to go. Heck now just trying to plan a trip back to Nebraska is like herding cats. If I had to do it over again, I would take more time when they were younger for these dream vacations. People always say oh they won't remember it. Go when they are older. I say go when you can and if you are fortunate go back again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

People question our trips all the time saying that they won't remember.  I always tell them but I will! We love to travel and so do our kids, I totally agree on not postponing dream vacations!

WBI

2 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Thanks yall, very good points. W is 4 and does good on long trips, B is only 1 she can do 12 hrs pretty good, but we haven't pushed her past that.  I know they can handle long days in the car, but we haven't done multiple days in a row yet.

WBI

Daddy's Toolkit:

a10e05b946f4539fe59c54752bd25bac_ra,w3808807714160670.png

You figure out who gets what.  

1 minute ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

People question our trips all the time saying that they won't remember.  I always tell them but I will! We love to travel and so do our kids, I totally agree on not postponing dream vacations!

WBI

I can’t stand when people say that. Are we just supposed to sit home and do nothing until they are “old enough to remember”?