February 2011 Trip Report From TCD

Hmmm, this got me wondering. Chris, is there any (easy) way to pull a report of folks who are registered but have never posted? On the one hand I'm just curious as to what percentage that group might represent. But on the other hand it might be cool to have a "Kicked your butt out of the closet thread" where you out the lurkers for us to all pile on... errr, encourage, to join the conversation! Ok, maybe that's not a good idea, but it is a fun idea!

ShantaClausSm.png

I don't know about a report, but at the top, there is a members tab that will give you a list of all members, then there are buttons on the right that allow you to sort by name, post count, and join date.

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I continue to be astounded at the decisions being made "over there." Speaking for myself, I have no desire to be hostile to anyone. The success of our site is entirely independent of the success of th

OK, stand back. DaveinTN has requested an update, and By Golly, he's going to get one! I've got 30 new photos loaded, so let's knock this one out! It's still Saturday morning. I have been away from th

Yes. I’m back. It’s really me. I was just taking a break. For those of you who are not familiar with me, I do that from time to time. In this case, I have taken a permanent break from the place where

Anyone can look at the members list above, and sort by post count. But I don't feel warm and fuzzy about "calling out" specific people to post. I'd rather we make them feel welcome enough to post on their own, and I'm not sure that "HEY YOU! GET TO POSTIN'!" is the best way to achieve that goal.

Having said that, we do Love All, Serve All here- if you're a fan of the Fort, or of TCD's trip reports, or of Norm's photography, or of Stacktester's shenanigans- there's a place for you here! We'd love to get to know you better!

That National Guard golf cart represents the Dale Earnhardt, Jr. #88 National Guard Sponsored Nascar.

I have seen these carts on college campus and they are used by the ROTC groups recruiting new students. You can see the ROTC emblem under the back seat and right above that there are lines about scholarships.

I have to think this is a US GOVT vehicle.

I have seen these carts on college campus and they are used by the ROTC groups recruiting new students. You can see the ROTC emblem under the back seat and right above that there are lines about scholarships.

Also through MWR, the government rents out stuff to elibible members including camping stuff, so maybe it's a rental.

Anyone can look at the members list above, and sort by post count. But I don't feel warm and fuzzy about "calling out" specific people to post. I'd rather we make them feel welcome enough to post on their own, and I'm not sure that "HEY YOU! GET TO POSTIN'!" is the best way to achieve that goal.

Having said that, we do Love All, Serve All here- if you're a fan of the Fort, or of TCD's trip reports, or of Norm's photography, or of Stacktester's shenanigans- there's a place for you here! We'd love to get to know you better!

and you never know, a former lurker may just come out of their shell. :rofl2:

Hmmm, this got me wondering. Chris, is there any (easy) way to pull a report of folks who are registered but have never posted? On the one hand I'm just curious as to what percentage that group might represent. But on the other hand it might be cool to have a "Kicked your butt out of the closet thread" where you out the lurkers for us to all pile on... errr, encourage, to join the conversation! Ok, maybe that's not a good idea, but it is a fun idea!

ShantaClausSm.png

I will agree with AuburnChris on this. I think you have a great idea, there, Shanta, but I think a lot of newbies would be intimidated by the fear of being singled out, so it could have a chilling effect on getting more folks to join.

The point I was trying to make is that even those who feel they have nothing to contribute usually do have something beneficial to add to the mix on a discussion board such as this.. It is interesting to hear different perspectives. Also, a question that one person asks may be exactly what someone else was wondering too.

I really like it when lurkers finally feel that it is time to join. And, I really get a kick out of hearing from someone who has never posted. It always amazes me what a diverse bunch of folks read along here.

That is my thought, as well.

There is nothing on that cart that makes any reference to NASCAR or Junior.

It is like a rolling ad for the National Guard.

But what was it doing at the Fort?

Also through MWR, the government rents out stuff to elibible members including camping stuff, so maybe it's a rental.

Could be.

With liability and all, I wouldn't think this is the type of thing that the government would rent out for private use.

But, I don't have a better explanation.

and you never know, a former lurker may just come out of their shell. :rofl2:

Yes. That is what I am talking about.

You can go from being a lurker to being one of the most popular kids in the group.

All you have to do is register and post.

TCD

Congratulations!

You made it!

Through 21 pages, and 400+ posts, you have reached the last installment.

Whew!

This trip report really turned into something, didn't it?

But, all good things must come to an end.

And, we have reached that point here.

As always, if you want to comment or ask questions, feel free to do so.

I plan on making some final comments myself.

But, first, let's get this thing finished.

It is still Monday morning, February 14.

The weather has been spectacular for us this weekend.

Did you notice how clear and blue the sky is in all of the photos from this trip?

We didn't have a drop of rain.

It was cool at night, for sure.

But, it warmed up nicely each day.

As I packed up the camper, I noticed that buzzards were circling overhead.

I don't know what they were looking for, but there sure were a lot of them (and look at that beautiful blue sky, too):

100_9419.jpg

100_9420.jpg

100_9423.jpg

The birds circled the whole time I was packing up.

I got packed up and off the site by 11.

I left my cart at the site, and went up front to leave the park my rig.

Then I took a bus back to my site and hopped on the cart.

I headed over to the Meadow Snack Bar for a rootbeer.

That's a little tradition for me.

I snapped a photo of the menu so I could compare it to older ones for changes:

100_9426.jpg

And, sure enough, there were changes.

Here's the menu from July, 2010:

July4th2010497.jpg

And, here is what the mecu looked like back in April, 2009:

FW42409021.jpg

There is some weird stuff going on here.

Like the price of the Asian Chicken Salad has gone down. The price of the pizza has not changed. The other prices have gone up by very odd, and disproportional amounts. Who the heck decides this? And why?

Even though it was the middle of February, folks were enjoying the pool:

100_9429.jpg

I will bet you this fellow is Canadian:

100_9430.jpg

One more pool shot.

100_9431.jpg

I didn't know it at the time, but this is the last time I would ever see this pool furniture. It was all replaced before the next time I visited the Fort. The funny thing is, I don't think it was that old, and it wasn't in bad shape.

Here is your photographic confirmation that the new mugs had not yet reached the Fort by February 14:

100_9432.jpg

Here's a shot of the back of the Bike Barn:

100_9433.jpg

And a look at the pool entrance area:

100_9434.jpg

I stopped by the tennis courts to take this shot looking toward the 1500 loop. I don't know why, but this is one of my favorite views in the Fort. And this is a classic winter scene:

100_9435.jpg

It was about here that the girls called and told me they were heading back to the Fort from AK. I drove up to the Outpost to fetch them.

From there, I headed down to the Settlement via the 100 loop. We were going to take one last look around before heading home.

There were several campers on the first few sites in the 100 loop who had matching signs. I think these folks were there when I had visited back in January, too. Here's one of the signs:

100_9436.jpg

And another:

100_9438.jpg

And yet another:

100_9437.jpg

This is another custom sign, but it is different from the others. Note this guy has a Mickey light, too. Also note how he strapped it to his site marker. If you are planning to do this, make note that not all loops have electric connections on the site markers. In fact, most do not:

100_9439.jpg

Do you remember that guy we saw early Monday morning painting the barrel outside of Pioneer Hall?

I saw him at a little before 9.

I returned to the Settlement at a little after noon.

And, the painter was still hard at work.

See?:

100_9440.jpg

100_9441.jpg

Admittedly, I was not there to watch exactly what this guy did, but as near as I could tell, it had taken him 3+ hours to paint those two barrels. He did a good job, but what the heck?

On the way back to our car, I noticed some new survey markers behind the 700 loop, just to the west of the intersection of Big Pine Drive and Fort Wilderness Trail. Here is a photo:

100_9442.jpg

The markers went off into the woods behind the outside sites on the 700 loop:

100_9443.jpg

This photo was taken in the area right behind the last outside site on the 700 loop (many of you will know this as Jeannie's site):

100_9444.jpg

Can you read what is written on the stake? It says #103 back curb. I wonder what that means. This is behind the 700 loop, not the 100 loop.

Here are a couple of more shots of the area:

100_9445.jpg

100_9446.jpg

The stake in the photo above has "#105 back curb" written on it.

Again, this is no where near the 100 loop.

You can see flags in the woods here:

100_9447.jpg

And there are flags behind these electric boxes:

100_9448.jpg

In this last shot, we are looking toward the intersection. You can see the sign with all the directions there in the background:

100_9449.jpg

So what is up with the new survey markers?

Most of you have heard that there are major changes coming to the Settlement area.

There is a thread in the Construction information area of this site which was started by member WannaBeImagineer that shows plans for a new pavilion to be built by the Settlement Trading Post. One of the drawings in the plans that WBI linked shows something possibly going on over here in the area depicted in the photos I posted above. Here's a screen cap of the drawing I am referring to:

newconstruction.jpg

To help you orient yourself, the intersection of Big Pine Drive and Fort Wilderness Trail is in the center of that drawing, and you can see the backs of the outside sites on the 700 loop toward the bottom. It looks like a new sidewalk or some other paved area is drawn in here. Here's a closer look:

newconstruction2.jpg

I could be reading these plans wrong. It has happened before. But, I do know that there is nothing paved in this little corner right now, and it looks like a sidewalk might be going in there. Time will tell.

Before leaving the Settlement area, I took one last shot of Pioneer Hall. I have heard that the new construction may impact the nice field in the foreground on this photo. I hope that's not true, but in case it is, we now his this photo to remember how things used to be:

100_9450.jpg

From here, we headed back to the Outpost, and headed home.

It was a great trip.

That is all I have to say about that.

Thank you for reading along.

Until next time.

TCD

No!!! It can't be over!!!

Awesome report Andrew...glad you shared with us and have found your new home. Looking forward to the continuation of your new weekend report.

Now, in the drawings you show above, what looks like train tracks is drawn approximately where the old FWRR tracks went behind the 700 loop, correct? Do you think they are putting in a sidewalk along the old RR right of way there? I would hope they wouldn't put an access road into the Settlement area for the new resort back there. From Frontier Way near Creekside Meadow, you could theoretically build a road along the west side of the canal, behind the 800 and 700 loops up to the area of the Settlement bus depot to serve the new resort if it is built. I would think they would actually build a road all the way from Vista Blvd to give dedicated service without going through the campground...but who knows?

No!!! It can't be over!!!

Awesome report Andrew...glad you shared with us and have found your new home. Looking forward to the continuation of your new weekend report.

Now, in the drawings you show above, what looks like train tracks is drawn approximately where the old FWRR tracks went behind the 700 loop, correct? Do you think they are putting in a sidewalk along the old RR right of way there?

Yes, those appear to be the old train tracks.

But they are not there now.

This drawing, like others we have looked at, is confusing.

This one shows the old dock configuration, but it does not show the cannon or the old River Country Wagon.

When the tracks were there, they did not end where the drawing show them ending, they, of course, continued on toward the 400 loop and beyond.

What looks like a paved area to me on the drawing is not there now. I don't think a sidewalk would have crossed the train tracks here back in the day, so I don't think this is a drawing of what used to be there. But, who knows.

There are some things written on the PDF, but when I enlarge it, I can't read them. I know someone with mad graphic design skills who can fix that (I'm talking to you Shanta), and it would help if we could read some of the things printed on this drawing.

If anyone would like to discuss these drawings, I would encourage you to post on this thread: Breaking News

There could be some big clues on this drawing that have not yet been identified.

TCD

As I returned to my cart, I noticed this National Guard golf cart:

100_9417.jpg

What is this about?

Who has a National Guard golf cart?

Are there National Guard recruiters on official business at the Fort?

If not, who is using this golf cart, and why?

Next up . . .

We will get packed up.

And that means it's time to go.

Just one more installment.

And this one is in the can.

TCD

OMG...I don't know why, but this struck me as so funny!! Very Seinfeld-esque.."who are these National Guard people and why do they need a golf cart!?) :rofl2:

holy smokes! BEST. DAY. EVER. (OK, maybe not EVER, but this is a great day!)

i log on after a few days of being a way and TCD is back....AND

he posted not one but two TR (yes, one was small but still awesome).....AND

i was slow enough at work to blow off about 3 hours reading the entire way thru them....AND

i met a Troll, who also rocks at the trip report thing. (great eye man, great eye!)

Geeze, if i go home and my husband has brought home take out and offers me a foot rub it would realy be the BEST. DAY. EVER. ( but that ain't gonna happen, so i am going to just ride the high of the awesome trip reports and TCD's return to the world of discussion forums.)

OMG...I don't know why, but this struck me as so funny!! Very Seinfeld-esque.."who are these National Guard people and why do they need a golf cart!?) :rofl2:

Good observation. I have always found Seinfeld to be kind of TCD-esque.

holy smokes! BEST. DAY. EVER. (OK, maybe not EVER, but this is a great day!)

i log on after a few days of being a way and TCD is back....AND

he posted not one but two TR (yes, one was small but still awesome).....AND

i was slow enough at work to blow off about 3 hours reading the entire way thru them....AND

i met a Troll, who also rocks at the trip report thing. (great eye man, great eye!)

Geeze, if i go home and my husband has brought home take out and offers me a foot rub it would realy be the BEST. DAY. EVER. ( but that ain't gonna happen, so i am going to just ride the high of the awesome trip reports and TCD's return to the world of discussion forums.)

Wow.

All that excitement over a trip report!

Thanks!

What's your DH's phone number?

I'll call him and tell him to bring home take-out and give you that foot rub.

I don't think that's too much to ask.

Bravo!

Great report, and so glad you are back posting again.

I can't wait for your second report which will be up soon, right?

Oh yeah and I don't think I officially welcomed you aboard, so WELCOME!

Thanks, Tom.

It completely slipped my mind that you also deserve credit for nudging me in this direction.

Remember- you sent me a text?

I'm sure we will see each other a lot on here, and at the Fort.

BTW, I think you would appreciate that my oldest DD is working an internship in the PR department for FSU's athletic programs this summer. Her fellow intern is Dustin Hopkins (FSU's star kicker). She is thrilled. They are expecting a big year for FSU football this season.

TCD

Great job as usual!! Looking forward to the rest of your reports, and hope to see you again soon! :doublebeer:

Gee thanks.

And, same here.

Be sure to read my soon to be released Spring Break trip report- you will get a shout-out in there!

Great Report! I'm so glad you decided to join us here! I'm also glad your daughter is at FSU! I am an FSU alumnus also! Go Noles!

No. No. No.

I am a Gator.

My life is complicated by the fact that Mrs. TCD is a Nole, and now by oldest DD is a Nole.

But that said, please keep all Go Noles to a minimum.

Thank you for your cooperation.

TCD

I will agree with AuburnChris on this. I think you have a great idea, there, Shanta, but I think a lot of newbies would be intimidated by the fear of being singled out, so it could have a chilling effect on getting more folks to join.

The point I was trying to make is that even those who feel they have nothing to contribute usually do have something beneficial to add to the mix on a discussion board such as this.. It is interesting to hear different perspectives. Also, a question that one person asks may be exactly what someone else was wondering too.

I really like it when lurkers finally feel that it is time to join. And, I really get a kick out of hearing from someone who has never posted. It always amazes me what a diverse bunch of folks read along here.

Tsk, tsk... all this time together and you still don't know how to read my sarcasm? Oh well, at least I amuse myself.

ShantaClausSm.png

Gee thanks.

And, same here.

Be sure to read my soon to be released Spring Break trip report- you will get a shout-out in there!

TCD

Blushing-2.gif I will be here with bells on!!

Tsk, tsk... all this time together and you still don't know how to read my sarcasm? Oh well, at least I amuse myself.

ShantaClausSm.png

Sorry, Bro.

I guess it has been a while, and I forgot all about your level of sophisticated humor.

I guess I'm a bit rusty from my hiatus.

But, I think I'm getting up to speed here.

So don't turn it down.

I hope you saw my not-so-subtle request for assistance with the blurry PDF at the end of post #407 above.

TCD