This is on our to do list. Hubby found a reference to it on another site and I knew we had Fiends who have already been here. How cool is that?

Anyway, do you think we should do this in July/August or December between Christmas and New Year?

It will be a 2 day drive, so this will be a week or more trip.

I would probably pick winter. LRC and Desoto are prettier when there is some rain. The many small and large falls would be running. Winter temps in the day could be in the 20's or 60's or anywhere in between. I have found the temps on Lookout Mtn to be 5-10 colder than the surrounding area most of the year....not withstanding temp inversions.

Thank you. Not too much different than Southern KY. That is were my inlaws live and we usually spend Christmas break there. I'm thinking we will do Christmas with them and then head out the next day.

• 8 months later...

This is our FAV place in Alabama and it is one of the better state parks. They totally redid the campgrounds a few years ago - before the money to state parks ran dry. Others are not so great for RVs. Cheaha is terrible if you are in an RV but if you like to tent camp is a wonderful spot. We have also been to Lake Guntersville - it was hit by the April 27th tornadoes and is just starting to come back. No trees anymore thought thanks to the storms.

Wind Creek State park at Lake Martin is beautiful but in some areas too crowded.( we loved the upper loop).

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...