Last weekend we went to Desoto State park in Alabama. It is a beautiful park. Just thought everyone might like to see.I have to say I am really

impressed by the sites and campgrounds in Alabama. We live in Georgia, so we go to alot of our parks, but they really invested in Bama. Roll Tide!

074.jpg

Here's our site

037.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

This is the Lodge. We ate at the seafood buffet. Pretty good. The lodge was built by the CCC.

070.jpg

052.jpg

043.jpg

My Hubby and my oldest

063.jpg

We visited Little river canyon national Preserve. About 15 mins. away . This place is gorgeous.

016.jpg

011.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

008.jpg

They have a beautiful olympic size pool too.

072.jpg

My youngest

073.jpg

Our campin' kitty

071.jpg

Great pictures!! The Florida State parks I've been to aren't near this nice. The closest you'll get to a paved campsite is a smattering of gravel thrown in the dirt. The Little River Canyon Preserve pictures are beautiful. I'm putting this place on my "must see" list!!

Awesome Lizzy! I was just googling this today, I'm trying to figure out somewhere closer to home to go for labor day weekend. More please!

Your kids are beautiful by the way!!

Thank you!!

You will really enjoy it, and the bath houses are the cleanest I have ever seen in a state park.

It's sad but true, when it comes to our State Parks they leave a lot to be desired >:( The last time we stayed at one it cost us $60 a night plus 2 park permits, one for the MH and one for the car. Then were surrounded by water on our site. I was not a happy camper :argh:

It's sad but true, when it comes to our State Parks they leave a lot to be desired >:( The last time we stayed at one it cost us $60 a night plus 2 park permits, one for the MH and one for the car. Then were surrounded by water on our site. I was not a happy camper :argh:

Wow, $60.? You should be getting Mousekeeping for that money :P

Thanks for sharing your report and photos.

This campground looks great.

I love to see stuff that was built by the CCC. This was an amazing program.

And that waterfall is awesome!

We don't have anything like that in Florida.

TCD

No, I know you don't have anything like that there. I was born and raised in Florida :lol:

I really like LRC and Desoto SP. The campground has mtn bike trails leading from it too.

I live less than 1 hr from there, and we visit the canyon often. A few years ago I bought some acreage on the mtn about 15 min from the canyon. It reminds me of being in east TN or NC. I thought about putting in a single campsite or a small cabin on the property for a little quick getaway place.

Here's the falls with a little more flow. Sometimes it is really rolling.

DSC_5765b.jpg

DSC_5748b.jpg

DSC_5751b.jpg

There used to be an amusement park and mini golf near Eberhart Point on the canyon rim. It even had a scenic chairlift that ran down to Canyon Mouth Park, but it has been shut down for decades.

Sorry for the highjack....i get excited about LRC.

Thanks for sharing your report and photos.

This campground looks great.

I love to see stuff that was built by the CCC. This was an amazing program.

And that waterfall is awesome!

We don't have anything like that in Florida.

TCD

C'mon TCD. We have the same thing but it's different. There are some State Parks that were built by the CCC. Highlands Hammock is one. :lol:

I really like LRC and Desoto SP. The campground has mtn bike trails leading from it too.

I live less than 1 hr from there, and we visit the canyon often. A few years ago I bought some acreage on the mtn about 15 min from the canyon. It reminds me of being in east TN or NC. I thought about putting in a single campsite or a small cabin on the property for a little quick getaway place.

Here's the falls with a little more flow. Sometimes it is really rolling.

DSC_5765b.jpg

DSC_5748b.jpg

DSC_5751b.jpg

There used to be an amusement park and mini golf near Eberhart Point on the canyon rim. It even had a scenic chairlift that ran down to Canyon Mouth Park, but it has been shut down for decades.

Sorry for the highjack....i get excited about LRC.

Thank you for sharing those other photos. It just makes it that more beautiful. Maybe in October, when we go the falls will be a little bigger then too. I would love to see that

• 4 weeks later...

Just came across this thread and had to comment. My family and I stayed at DeSoto during Spring Break of '09. One word: BEAUTIFUL!!!

We've stayed at many campgrounds, but this place is hands down one of our favs! The staff as well as the locals that we encountered were all very friendly and seemed genuinely glad that we were visiting. We love the fact that the park is within driving distance to so many different attractions. One day we drove into Chattanooga and did Rock City, Ruby Falls, and rode the Incline Railway. The next day we visited Sequoyah Caverns which was fantastic!! The tour guide there seemed very knowledgeable and told some great stories about the history of the caverns. Honestly though, our favorite part of the trip was hiking all of the numerous scenic trails. Everything is so peaceful here!

I'd recommend this place to anyone who loves nature and appreciates God's handiwork!!!

Just came across this thread and had to comment. My family and I stayed at DeSoto during Spring Break of '09. One word: BEAUTIFUL!!!

We've stayed at many campgrounds, but this place is hands down one of our favs! The staff as well as the locals that we encountered were all very friendly and seemed genuinely glad that we were visiting. We love the fact that the park is within driving distance to so many different attractions. One day we drove into Chattanooga and did Rock City, Ruby Falls, and rode the Incline Railway. The next day we visited Sequoyah Caverns which was fantastic!! The tour guide there seemed very knowledgeable and told some great stories about the history of the caverns. Honestly though, our favorite part of the trip was hiking all of the numerous scenic trails. Everything is so peaceful here!

I'd recommend this place to anyone who loves nature and appreciates God's handiwork!!!

Your right, we really enjoyed our stay and all the beauty too.

• 4 months later...