Cool, unusual photos around Walt Disney World

From theDisney Parks Blog. Obviously this guy has amazing access to get a shot like this. Post your photos here that are a departure from the norm - cool angles, closeups, lighting, or just that lucky once-in-a-lifetime shot that belongs hanging on a wall somewhere!

Don't forget to share what camera/setting you got the shot with and any other specifics of how you put together your "Wow!" shot...

Creativity Never Sleeps at Magic Kingdom Park

posted on July 28th, 2011 by Kent Phillips, Photographer, Walt Disney World

If you are fortunate enough to work as a photographer at Walt Disney World Resort (totally awesome), but find yourself spending way too much time working at your desk lately (not nearly so awesome), what do you do when you inevitably go stir crazy and need to get out of the office to stretch your legs? Obviously you grab a disco ball, throw the department’s fog machine in the back of a van and head to Magic Kingdom Park at 4 o’clock in the morning. It’s a no-brainer.

psm941838SMALL.jpg

Finding myself somewhat desk-bound recently, I took advantage of having the coolest job in the world and made myself at home in the planter around the Partners statue in the middle of the night. After locating the camera position I wanted, I hung the disco ball from a light stand behind Mickey, hid a light right behind Mickey’s head and aimed it at the ball, then wafted some wispy fog through the beams of light bouncing off of it. A tilt-shift lens let me play with the focus so Mickey’s eyes would stay sharp but the rest of him would go soft.

With the amazing access I enjoy at Walt Disney World Resort because of my job, it’s worth losing a few hours of sleep every now and then to indulge a creative whim, make a fun picture and remember just how lucky I am.

Fog. Disco Ball. Mickey Mouse. It’s a no-brainer.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is one of my favorites which also happened by accident. We were waiting for the boat to take us to MK hoping it would come before the rain started. The birds were swirling around making a lot of

To paraphase Dory in Finding Nemo...

Just keep clicking!!

Sometimes the best photos happen completely by accident without any great master skill or equipment. This is one of my favorites and it was taken with just a little, less-than-$200 point and shoot. I had it resting on a railing for stability and just kept clicking throughout Wishes!

4160708267_289c399306_z.jpg?zz=1

DSCN3151.jpg

This is one of my favorites which also happened by accident.

We were waiting for the boat to take us to MK hoping it would come before the rain started.

The birds were swirling around making a lot of noise.

I just looked up and started clicking.

Taken with a pocket camera...Nikon S8100.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really COOL!!!!! Did you stay in the suite?

No, we toured it during the D23 Magic and Merriment event in December 2010. Unfortunately my camera was acting up -- because I dropped it onto the pavement at the fort -- and most of my interior pictures didn't turn out well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...