• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crock pot, electric skillet & folding table. It will help keep the unit cooler. Oh BIG cooler w/ beverages for fiend visitors! :popcorn:

Everyone has given you great ideas. The one thing I did during our first few trips was have a small notebook, because inevitably just when you think you have it all, when you go to cook you've forgott

I know you all will think I'm crazy for keeping this list but here it goes. 10- This is an extremely helpful website- http://www.lovetheoutdoors.com/camping/Tips/Tips_and_Advice.htm BEDDING & B

Great and exhaustive list...thank you for sharing this. We just need to revise one thing.....per the quote above. :parrot:

:rofl2:

Quick! Get a tag fairy on that post right away. We'll all get cooties just looking at it.

I think Ponchos were mentioned. We actually bought the Colemans in the camping Isle at Walmart. Not disposable but you can reuse them and they hold up a lot better that ones you buy at Disney

I think Ponchos were mentioned. We actually bought the Colemans in the camping Isle at Walmart. Not disposable but you can reuse them and they hold up a lot better that ones you buy at Disney

I bpught good quality ponchos and rain coats for the little ones last year on clearance at Walmart.com. The little kids are even Disney. Only $5 each!

I can only add one thing get the basics and start traveling and add thing as you need them. When I first started camping i went out and bought all kinds of stuff I never used just wasted money. One of the best thing I added was a toaster oven. Watch your weight all the stuff you add can add up fast. I never run with water in my tank that 500pd I don't need. Hope this help

I never run with water in my tank that 500pd I don't need. Hope this help

Absolutely, unless you KNOW you are camping somewhere without water facilities run with the tanks empty or nearly empty. It might be good to have a little bit in the fresh water tank if you want to use the facilities for the drive down.

Absolutely, unless you KNOW you are camping somewhere without water facilities run with the tanks empty or nearly empty. It might be good to have a little bit in the fresh water tank if you want to use the facilities for the drive down.

I carry a gal jug of water for that

That's what we do too. We carry a couple of gallon jugs in the tank for the trip down but otherwise make sure the tanks are completely empty.

It's 1300+ miles for us each way and we'll take all the additional gas mileage we can get!

One thing I'd also suggest if you're watching your (camper's) weight - either at the end of the season, or before the next, take a quick check of what's in your camper, what you actually used and what you've never touched since you put it in there.

We spent 4 years putting stuff INto our hybrid, and then right before our last trip to WDW with it, I spent a week taking stuff OUT that we'd never once used.

Since we got the new/bigger TT I've tried very hard not to put anything more in it than we had before. If we were able to survive 3 weeks in a 20' hybrid with X amount of stuff, I'm pretty sure that's all we need. :)

That's great advice about inventory and remove. If you didn't use it for the whole season you probably never will. Weight is the enemy of all RVs, drive it or pull it, less means more MPG.

Since we got the new/bigger TT I've tried very hard not to put anything more in it than we had before. If we were able to survive 3 weeks in a 20' hybrid with X amount of stuff, I'm pretty sure that's all we need. :)

That is great advice. We have lots of storage in our moho that's empty. And we plan to keep it that way.

Another key thing I try and do is to "not have to move something to get to something else" For example. My camper has lots of storage under the bed/benches, but I rarely used at first it cause that would mean moving the bed to get to it. I have since had access doors cut on the outside of the camper to get to those storage areas. I had a cushion on top of the front bench. Underneath is the portapotty and some other storage. The cushion no longer is in the camper cause I had to keep moving it to get under those benches.

Another thing that made it infinitely easier is I can now get into a camping spot and do most of my basic setup (water, electric, grey water drain, stabilizers, and leveling) without actually digging in my truck or entering the camper. Those basic items are accessed through the outside access doors, and a PVC storage pipe mounted on the outside of the camper.

That's what we do too. We carry a couple of gallon jugs in the tank for the trip down but otherwise make sure the tanks are completely empty.

It's 1300+ miles for us each way and we'll take all the additional gas mileage we can get!)

We are in the same boat as you. Having 1300 miles to travel we try to minimalize the amount of water. I put in a few gallons for potty breaks & overnight stops. Anything to save fuel.

We are in the same boat as you. Having 1300 miles to travel we try to minimalize the amount of water. I put in a few gallons for potty breaks & overnight stops. Anything to save fuel.

We were thinking we wouldn't travel with any water also. Do you think it's worth it to take a few gallons to use the bathroom along the way vs. a rest stop? There are 8 of us that would have to use the bathroom.

All of our stops are gas and go, and most places we use the restroom at the convenience store. We try and gas up at places that also have fast food like KFC or Mickey D's or something. First gas stop, I go the restroom and grab me a meal, Rick goes to the restroom and fills the tank.

I eat while he drives.

2nd stop, Rick goes to the restroom and grabs a meal and I go to the restroom and fill the tank. Then I drive while he eats.

That keeps our stops to 15 minutes or less.

Now we are two adults, so no kids to deal with.

Thanks, I think we'll stick with rest stops too. Then I don't have to worry about taking any water at all.

Not to be a "party pooper"...but...if you ever have a breakdown by the side of the road (especially with eight people) you will be glad to have at least enough water in your tanks to allow for toilet flushing and hand washing.

Also, if you let your black tank dries up it will be much more difficult to clean out.

To me not having water onboard is kind of like suffering in the heat because when you run the A/C your MPG goes down.

Besides, have you seen some of those bathrooms at rest areas??? :barf:

Even after cleaning with a whole bottle of Lysol it would not be enough to convenience me to let my grandchildren use them! :flush: