Talk to me about cleaning the camper on vacation

We are currently in the middle of our longest trip so far with the new camper so far and while I expected there to be some cleanup while we vacation - I feel like I am doing a bit too much. I understand some of it may be due to my nesting nuttiness but am I expecting too much to have a clean floor, dust and sand free beds (we are at the beach), clean dishes, etc? Does anyone else feel like they take the cleaning a bit too far? Does anyone else have a cleaning strategy that may help cut down on the amount of time I spend in my Cinderella outfit?

With such a small space, the clutter in the camper can drive me batty, too. As far as cleaning, when things start getting crazy, I reassure myself that I can always just do a big cleaning when we get home (and I do). For the floor, we treat it like a tent -- no shoes in the camper (we have a little wire rack right inside the door, and shoes go there immediately). I also keep a little dustpan handy to make sweeping floor tidbits up quickly.

The dishes are another story -- since it's usually just me and the kiddos camping, they never take the initiative to clean up the dishes -- just pile them in the sink. Argh! I let it go for a while, and then we have a group cleanup session before any more fun can be had! (I hate using paper products.)

I think the key, for us anyway, is planning ahead -- there are all kinds of cool storage solutions -- for example, I found a cool hanging thing that I put over the bathroom door (facing into the living area). It's got multiple pockets and hooks. All kinds of stuff can go in there and off the floor/couch/table. I guess a shoe organizer would work, too. We've got lots of hooks all over, and little storage solutions in cabinets and such. That helps keep things a little tidier.

Overall, I'd love to say I just blow it all off ("We're on vacation!") but the truth is it starts to get to me after a while, and if it's even a little cleaner/more organized, I'm more relaxed.

Have fun on the rest of your trip!

The best thing eva, was when we went to paper plates. I'm the one that cleans the dishes since Tony cooks most of the time. Granted we use the heavy duty chinette plates/platters.

We try to keep out shoes outside as well to lesson tracking in. Plus having a patio mat outside the door helps. We both take turns sweeping the mat off and the camper out.

Hose the kids down outside to lesson the sand on the beds.

Whip, I feel your pain! :rolleyes:

I am worse about cleaning when I am camping, than when I'm home. I think the small space is what does it. Anything not in it's place, seems to make a mess. Having a dog doesn't help the issue either. That can mean hairballs, or muddy feet!

I have tried to limit cleaning to once, first thing in the morning. After that screw it! So if you ever stop by for a visit, and it's later in the day, there's no telling what you'll see. :))

We tried washing dishes when we first started camping but was such a pain. So last year we switched to paper plates & cups. It amazing how one little change can help so much. As far as keeping the floor clean we don't allow shoes off the door mat. I keep a small collapsable broom in the cabinet & sweep every couple days. I hope you enjoying your new camper.

When we go to the beach, I put a pan of water with just a touch of bleach and a towel by the patio mat. When we come to the RV, we remove our shoes, rinse the sand off in the pan, dry with the towel, and enter. Works great at keeping all the sand out of the coach.

We also use heavy duty paper plates and disposable cups. We wash enough dishes at home and don't choose to do it as much while camping.

Hey, I have a question -- what does everyone use for a garbage can in the camper? We have an itty bitty one that fits under the sink, and at mealtime, I pull it out and leave it on the kitchen floor. That way, everyone has easy access to put stuff in it. But it's so small (we put a plastic grocery bag in) that it fills up FAST. But anything bigger will add to clutter in that tiny space. So...would love to hear what others do!

Hey, I have a question -- what does everyone use for a garbage can in the camper? We have an itty bitty one that fits under the sink, and at mealtime, I pull it out and leave it on the kitchen floor. That way, everyone has easy access to put stuff in it. But it's so small (we put a plastic grocery bag in) that it fills up FAST. But anything bigger will add to clutter in that tiny space. So...would love to hear what others do!

That's what I do to Kate. It's a pain but I'd rather be changing the bag in the small one than tripping over a bigger can.

As far as cleaning, I am much worse about keeping the MH tidy. With a small space it makes me nuts if things are dragging. I do a lot of paper and plastic whenever I can and if I have dishes I do them as soon as we are done eating.I also keep laundry baskets in the bedroom. One for clothes and one for towels and underwear. I also enforce a strict two use towel policy. I am not on vacation to do laundry :rofl2:

As far as the floor goes unless it gets really bad or something gets dragged in (coquina shells) I only vacuum the last day.

We use a collapsible hamper for dirty clothes in the bed...that helps keep clothes from being scattered.

We have another that I put outside with a a trash bag in it for outside trash. We use paper plates for all but big dinners.

We still use plastic cups, but just wash them as used.

We've tried several type of vacuum cleaners, but really haven't found the perfect size/suction ratio yet. I am thinking about putting in a Red Devil central unit with the dust pan suction thing.

I carry big plastic storage bins that help keep things organized and out of the way. I keep them in the pass through and garage, but TT users can put them underneath the camper for extra room.

Ours is a little different, since it is only one or two adults and I only have about 4 feet of floorspace inside. I have a HUGE outdoor space though and I have a 9x12 rug and a 9x18 rug that covers that entire space. We actually use an electric blower to keep stuff at bay. We have a big garbage can outside and a large laundry container outside also. Of course shoes stay outside. We each have one towel that gets hung up on the frame of the EZ-Up after our showers. We have simplified the bed making by only having the bottom sheet and a comforter. We don't fool with the top sheet when camping. Our carpet is a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet that I just pick up occasionally and take it outside and shake.

One thing I've found great for my camper since we do have a tiny space is Febreeze. I spray the carpet ceiling and the floor on a daily basis.

Dishes, I haven't gone to paper/plastic yet for just the two of us, but when we have a large group we do get paper/plastic. We even found disposable steak knives one time. They were cool!!

No carpet for us, which I bless quite often. I have a broom velcro'd above the door so we can sweek as often as we want. The broom also does a good job of sweeping the sand and dirt out of the bunkes and beds.

We do use non-disposable dishes, for the most part. We have a small strainer for drying. I cut a piece of heavy plywood, then water-proofed it. When we aren't using the stove, the plywood lays on top of it and we have some extra counter space. That is right next to the sink, so the strainer sits on it and draines into the sink.

We got lucky on the trash can. There is a space at the end of the sofa, between it and the sink. A regular kitchen trash can just fits in there where it's out of the way. If we need to fold the sofa out at night we can slide the trash can under the table. If we didn't have that then I'd use what my brother got when he bought his TT. It's a mount on the outside of the TT, just outside the door, about 4' or so off the ground. The trash can clips onto this mount when they are parked. The trash can is out of the way, but still easy to reach from inside the door.

We do the same thing. I prefer the grocery bag size, because I do not like leaving food scraps (or anything really) inside the trashcan and camper with the dog around. So we just stock up on grocery bags and continuously take outside to a larger container after meals. But there is only two of us, so it dosen't fill up super quick.

I like the idea of disposable plastic cups, we have been using Wet Willies souveniercups, but once those break we may take Solo/Dixie cups from now own.

If we didn't have that then I'd use what my brother got when he bought his TT. It's a mount on the outside of the TT, just outside the door, about 4' or so off the ground. The trash can clips onto this mount when they are parked. The trash can is out of the way, but still easy to reach from inside the door.

That's a neat idea. (Haha! Pun!)

I guess the thing about the little trash can that bugs me is that I still haven't trained the kids to take the initiative and swap out the full bag with an empty one. They just start stacking stuff BESIDE the trash can! :rolleyes:

With "real" dishes, toward the end of our trip, I let 'em stack up in the sink -- and then throw them in the dishwasher when we get home! Lazy me.

We adore our Tervis Tumblers (of course mine include Mickey and Pluto) so we always have some real dishes to wash. And of course, gotta have a real mug for coffee!

With "real" dishes, toward the end of our trip, I let 'em stack up in the sink -- and then throw them in the dishwasher when we get home! Lazy me.

And of course, gotta have a real mug for coffee!

Whatever we use on the trip goes in the house dishwasher when we get home. Just one more wash in an attempt to keep buggies out the RV.

We have the real mugs but normally use the Dixie travel mugs. We like to take a morning walk with our coffee and I don't want to have to lug a travel mug around. Plus one less thing to wash.

We adore our Tervis Tumblers (of course mine include Mickey and Pluto) so we always have some real dishes to wash. And of course, gotta have a real mug for coffee!

I agree, coffee just tastes better in a real mug. I will be using this one003.jpg

I sweep the floor every evening and often use a paper towel with vinegar water to "mop" the floor with my feet. With 4 humans and two dogs, in most places, it's just not an option not to as I like walking around barefoot at night. Some places are better than others...

We use a small bucket for the trash and take it out daily. Due to the lack of counter/sink space we pretty much wash dishes twice a day.

I do a thorough go through before and after a camping trip and keep it to a minimum during.

With 3 dogs there ain't no way I'm not sweeping out every day. I brush out the hair every other day from the little bit of carpet we have, and shake out the door mats and furniture throws on the same schedule depending on how much stuff accumulates. It's generally not bad as we both tend to drop our shoes at the door and muddy dogs get wiped off before coming inside.

Unless someone spills something - that's my cleaning regimen!

The one thing we're better about camping than at home for some reason is picking up after ourselves, so "stuff" tends not to accumulate.

When we're at the Fort for a few weeks, I'll go around wiping off counters with an all purpose cleaner every few days or so.

Our trash can is in a slide out under the counter - bigger than a tiny one, but not huge. It usually gets us through 2-3 days depending on how much we eat at the camper.

Paper plates are a must and I generally do one small dish washing a day - generally cups, utensils and dog bowls.

The quicker and easier the better!

We too, use the small can under the sink for garbage and take it out daily, since the hot water heater is also under the sink. Ugg! Also there are just the 2 of us, unless the grandkids are with us, and my theory of putting things back after you are finished with them especially applies to living in the RV.

Also, we have 2 dogs with us, but we deal with dog hairs at home with spot vacuuming every other day. Hey, we have been married for 48 years this year and so realize that a "spotless" house is worth what ???? Enjoy this vacation and have a major cleaning project when you get home. Life is short !

Most campgrounds have either trash cans throughout the property, a large dumpster station(s) or they may even tell you to put at the front of your site and they will come by to pick it up.

Checkout the collapsable trashcans at Camping World, Dicks or other outdoors supply places. We finally purchased on over Memorial Day weekend and wish we had several years ago. They run ~$10 or less at camping world.

Most campgrounds have either trash cans throughout the property, a large dumpster station(s) or they may even tell you to put at the front of your site and they will come by to pick it up.

Checkout the collapsable trashcans at Camping World, Dicks or other outdoors supply places. We finally purchased on over Memorial Day weekend and wish we had several years ago. They run ~$10 or less at camping world.

Thanks! I would love to get one of the big collapsable ones. What method do they use at The Fort?