Why you should have insurance on your personal golf cart!

Not going to touch the issue of the lawyers....

No matter what, I agree you MUST have your cart insured. I have heard many excuses not to have it with the most common being "my homeowners insurance covers it". Looking into it, I have found many exclusions on homeowners polices and even some "golf cart" policies. It seems many of these are written for folks who live in golf cart communities and the policy only covers them on the community cart trails and on the golf course. Once yo load it on the truck and go to FW you loose coverage.

I had mine written as an additional motor vehicle on my car policy. While it cost a few dollars more, I have the same coverage as any of my cars.

Okay, I'm going to admit to something...I never gave any thought to having insurance on the golf cart! Yes, I know that's really dumb of me. But after reading this thread, I called my insurance company. We have our house and cars insured with AAA. The golf cart insurance is a very reasonable price, only $75 per year. I explained to the agent what the cart is used for (camping at FW and other campgrounds) and after looking over our current policies, I was told that they would be adding it to our homeowner's policy. It will give me $100,000 for medical costs, $500,000 for medical costs for others, and $5,000 in replacement costs if the cart is damaged (which is the least of my concern). I thought that was very reasonable. Here is my question, is there anything else that needs to be added to the policy?

Okay, I'm going to admit to something...I never gave any thought to having insurance on the golf cart! Yes, I know that's really dumb of me. But after reading this thread, I called my insurance company. We have our house and cars insured with AAA. The golf cart insurance is a very reasonable price, only $75 per year. I explained to the agent what the cart is used for (camping at FW and other campgrounds) and after looking over our current policies, I was told that they would be adding it to our homeowner's policy. It will give me $100,000 for medical costs, $500,000 for medical costs for others, and $5,000 in replacement costs if the cart is damaged (which is the least of my concern). I thought that was very reasonable. Here is my question, is there anything else that needs to be added to the policy?

Yes, you are not only worried about medical expenses of others but collision damage to another vehicle or structure. Hit the side of some bus RVs and you can be tens of thousands of dollars repairing/repainting.

Tim you are correct. The Umbrella policy goes over and above your underlying policy. It is usually a 'follow-form' policy which extends the underlying home/auto policy by 1 or 2 million, or whichever limit you choose. Which is to say, whatever limitations your auto or home policy has, extends to the umbrella. The ideal way to cover yourslf in a GC is to add it to the auto policy if the carrier offers, otherwise, if the homeowners policy will accomodate (it must extend off-premises coverage, otherwise, coverage is limited to your community.) Or, a stand-alone Golf Cart policy. The other thing to consider...the insurance carrier my deny coverage if there is any undeclared mods like lifting or over-sized tires. That's Florida anyway...I'm not on TV but I play an agent in real-life!

Why is RED SOLO CUP getting a bad rape?

Cause they don't make Dixie cups anymore.

It seems to be many underage kids driving GCs , sometimes with no adult even in the cart. We have seen several going too fast in the loops, not yielding, etc. During this month there is so much traffic, buses, autos, plus walkers at night I fear there will be an accident. Also do some of these folks not read "EXIT ONLY" and know the loops are ALL one way ? Maybe the security could monitor these drivers more closely, as I understood no minors were to be driving carts-period.

It seems to be many underage kids driving GCs , sometimes with no adult even in the cart. We have seen several going too fast in the loops, not yielding, etc. ...Maybe the security could monitor these drivers more closely, as I understood no minors were to be driving carts-period.

Supposedly the Fort *is* monitoring this whole mess more closely - but it's hard to prove that by me. Other than posting a ranger at the Settlement entrance most nights, in 3 weeks in Oct/Nov I didn't see anyone keeping tabs on anything.

One afternoon we were behind a kid who was lucky if he was 14. He turned into our loop (300) ahead of us. As we passed the entrance to the dog walk (where it's posted "no carts beyond this point") he took a sharp right and zoomed in.

Seconds later he came zooming out again, raced up behind us and slammed on his breaks hard enough to squeal the tires pretty loudly.

We pulled into our site and he zoomed off.

It was a Disney rental and I got the cart #. I called the Front Desk (that's a number you should keep on speed dial!) and let them know. They said they'd "look into it"

I'd be willing to be no one even bothered to look up who rented that cart, much less went to talk to them.

We did see the cart a couple of days later. The kid was on it with other family members, but not driving.

Its kinda amazing but the Fort is the only campground I have ever stayed at that allowed the stupidity on the golf carts. everwhere else does a prety good job of stopping the kids and idiots before stuff like this happens.

You've obviously never been to a Jellystone Park then. It's worse than the Fort!