From the Disney Food Blog...

Sleepy Hollow’s Ham, Prosciutto, and Swiss Waffle Sandwich

Mar 21st, 2012 by AJ.

Sleepy Hollow Refreshments unveiled new waffle sandwiches in November 2011.

Guests can choose between the popular sweet and spicy chicken waffle sandwich, the nutella and fruit waffle sandwich, and this ham with prosciutto and swiss waffle sandwich. And if you’re an early riser, be sure to check out the breakfast waffle version with egg, cheese, prosciutto, and tomato!

We’ve highlighted three of the four on this blog so far, but I wanted to have a complete set! So on a recent visit to the Magic Kingdom, I headed to Liberty Square to sample one of these creations; mindful that they are only served from 11 a.m. through 5 p.m.

Atmosphere

Sleepy Hollow Refreshments is definition of “location, location, location!” With a sweet spot right in between the castle and Liberty Square’s Hall of Presidents, this is a great spot to stop for a snack as you’re headed from one land to another.

2078.jpg

Sleepy Hollow

Seating is ample, and there are even picnic tables under cover, so it’s a great spot to get out of the sun. Of course, you can also get a pretty fun view of the Cinderella Castle show from these circular tables!

2079.jpg

Sleepy Hollow Seating

Eats

Sleepy Hollow’s menu has always been one to change and update with interesting new snacks and dishes. For example, you’ll find the Liberty Swirl slush here (the only place in the Magic Kingdom to get it) and specialty homemade ice cream sandwiches (the ice cream flavor currently is mint chocolate chip), and this used to be the spot to get giant Mickey waffles and a great cup of chicken and wild rice soup!

Sadly, the soup and giant Mickey waffles are gone now, but we’re pretty intrigued with the giant waffle sandwiches that took their place.

Sleepy-Hollow-Menu-362x525.jpg

Sleepy Hollow Menu - click image for larger version

You’ll remember from our previous posts seeing the monstrous Chicken and Waffle sandwich and Nutella and Fruit sandwich:

Sleepy-Hollow-Waffle-Sandwiches-500x248.jpg

Chicken Waffle Sandwich and Nutella and Fruit Waffle Sandwich

And more recently (a la One More Disney Day), this breakfast waffle sandwich was introduced:

breakfast-waffle-500x358.jpg

Breakfast Waffle Sandwich

So I decided to sample one of the sandwiches I hadn’t already heard a lot about…this Ham, Prosciutto, and Swiss waffle sandwich. As others have mentioned, you do have to wait a bit for your sandwich to be ready. There’s a lot of prep that goes into making the fresh waffle. But all in all — on a busy Spring Break day — I waited only about 5 minutes at the window to pick up my food.

I headed to one of the covered picnic tables and tried to figure out how to take a bite of this thing! It is truly massive, and even I was wishing for someone to share it with! Plan to grab a knife and cut it in half, if for no other reason than to keep the inevitable mess to a minimum.

That said, it IS a gorgeous sandwich, isn’t it? Who would have thunk you’d see such colorful veggies and flavorful meats and cheeses as part of a theme park grab-and-go snack?

Swiss-Ham-and-Proscuitto-Waffle-SAmmich-500x368.jpg

Ham, Swiss, and Prosciutto Waffle Sandwich

The waffle itself was clearly very fresh — right out of the waffle iron. It was crispy on the outside, soft and fluffy on the inside, and had a mild enough flavor that it accompanied instead of overpowered the tastes of the fillings. Yes, there was the standard Disney waffle malt flavor, but while I was expecting it to be too sweet for this savory sandwich, it adapted well to the other flavors.

View-of-Both-Meats-500x333.jpg

View of Both Meats

Now, something that should be noted if you have picky eaters in your group is that several of these sandwiches come with “more than you bargained for.” The chicken waffle sandwich includes a kind of slaw (we think it’s similar to the one served in Columbia Harbour House across the way), and this ham and swiss sandwich comes with tomato, greens, and an herbed mayo of which there is no mention on the menu!

herbed-mayo-500x333.jpg

Herbed Mayo

I took a few bites with the mayo and didn’t mind it, but if you’re traveling with kids or picky adults (like me), just make sure you know what other ingredients come on the waffle before you order.

Overall

I think the waffle sandwiches are a great deal for what you’re getting, especially when you see how large they really are. For $6.99 you can easily feed two adults for a snack, and this can surely be a meal for one person — no problem.

Warning, though — they are messy. This isn’t like a snack that you’ll be able to travel/walk around the parks with unless you’re meticulously clean in your eating style! icon_wink.gif I figured I was getting off easy with the waffle I sampled (based on the reports from the chicken waffle eaters), but it was still pretty messy! Nonetheless — I can highly recommend these fun new snacks/meals in the Magic Kingdom!

http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/03/21/review-sleepy-hollows-ham-prosciutto-and-swiss-waffle-sandwich/