From AllEars. Follow the link at the end for more photos.

Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground - Part 1

jack-spence%27s-masthead4.jpg

I have written several blogs touching on the various activities found at the Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground, but two recent events have prompted me to revisit this resort in-depth. First, I stayed in one of the cabins for the first time. And second, while I was there, I created a comprehensive video of this sprawling campground. So here goes, a look at one of the best loved spots at Walt Disney World that has perhaps the most loyal following of any resort.

One of the first things I notice whenever I visit Fort Wilderness is that the other guests staying here are extremely outgoing. Everywhere I wander, people say “hello” to me when I pass them on a sidewalk or while I’m browsing at one of the two trading posts. There is just something about this place that makes people friendlier. I’m normally a “keep to myself” kinda guy, but this sociable attitude is infectious and in no time at all, I’m initiating the greetings. If you’ve visited here before, you know what I’m talking about. If you haven’t ventured to this portion of Walt Disney World yet, you’re in for a treat.

Fort Wilderness officially opened on November 19, 1971. It has grown over the years and currently covers over 700 acres with 409 Wilderness Cabins and 784 campsites designed to accommodate tents and recreational vehicles. The name "Fort Wilderness" came from the fort found on Tom Sawyer Island located at Disneyland.

Fort Wilderness has three distinct areas, The Outpost, The Meadow, and The Settlement. Campers arrive at The Outpost via Vista Boulevard. Like all Disney resorts, a large sign welcomes guests to the property. Those driving RVs proceed to a special “drive-thru” check-in counter. Visitors staying in a cabin should park their vehicle and check-in at the Reception Outpost. Guests staying in tents may use either check-in spot. The Reception Outpost was constructed out of pine logs imported from Montana.

FT%20003.jpg

FT%20004.jpg

After finishing the required paperwork, the receptionist will give you a map and driving directions to your campsite or cabin.

There is limited automobile parking at The Outpost and none at The Meadow and The Settlement. Guests who wish to take advantage of the various activities available at Fort Wilderness should walk, bicycle, use the internal bus system, or use an electric cart. Electric carts can be rented at Reception Outpost and cart and bicycle parking is available at all three areas of the campground. If you do rent an electric cart or bring your own, be sure to read the “Rules & Regulations” guide given to all guests at check-in. Electric carts can be reserved in advance by calling 407-824-2742. Drivers must be at least 16 years old with a valid driver’s license.

FT%20005.jpg

If you don’t have a bike or electric cart, you will probably be using the internal bus system within the campground. Three routes navigate the 700 acres and take guests to the various loops, The Outpost, The Meadow and The Settlement. The routes are designated by color -- Orange, Yellow, and Purple. All bus stops have maps with easy-to-read indicators. Like all Disney buses, the ones at the campground are clean and reasonably efficient. However, some people dislike the fact that in order to go to any theme park or Downtown Disney, you must first take a campground bus then transfer to another bus or boat. This can easily add 15 to 20 minutes to your journey.

FT%20009b.jpg

The designers of the campground did their very best to disturb as few trees as possible when creating Fort Wilderness. This area is a surprise to most first-time visitors. They have no idea that such a peaceful spot exists on property. Groves of pine and cypress surround the campsites and roadways. Combine this with numerous canals and grassy knolls and you have the perfect spot to pitch a tent or park your RV. Fort Wilderness Campground consistently receives AAA’s Level 3 rating (their top) and Trailer Life Magazine awarded this property with a 10/10/10 rating, the highest possible.

The campground is divided into 28 loops. Some of these loops are designated for cabins, some for RVs, and some for campers and tents. Most sites are separated from one another with a barrier of bushes and trees, adding a secluded nature to the area.

The loops for RVs have concrete pads ranging in size from 25 feet to 60 feet deep and widths of up to 25 feet. Those intended for tents have a concrete pad for your car and a sandy patch in which to set up camp. All sites have electricity (120/220 volts), city water, charcoal grill, picnic table, and cable TV hookup. All but 90 sites offer full sewer hook-ups. The ones that don’t are intended for tent campers. Check-in time for campsites is 1pm and check-out at 11am.

FT%20011.jpg

FT%20013.jpg

FT%20014.jpg

There are a number of comfort stations located around the campground. These are clean facilities that offer toilets, showers, laundry facilities, ice, and campground information. I was especially impressed with the showers. Each shower is individual with its own, private dressing room. Unfortunately, I could not get an adequate picture of the shower and dressing room to share with you here.

FT%20015.jpg

FT%20017.jpg

FT%20018.jpg

FT%20019.jpg

The campers at Fort Wilderness love to decorate their campsites. Christmastime is especially festive with strings of multicolored lights and holiday adornments. However, Christmas isn’t the only time campers pull out all the stops. Take a look.

FT%20020.jpg

FT%20022.jpg

Pets are welcome at several of the loops at Fort Wilderness. When making your reservations, make sure to let the cast member know you will be bringing your animal family with you. While enjoying the campground, pets must remain on a leash. However, Waggin’ Trails Dog Park offers a wonderful, fenced-in grassy field where you can let Rover run free with other vacationing K9s. The dog park is located next to the playground at loop 300. A number of signs point the way so you can easily find this doggie retreat from anywhere within the campground.

FT%20024b.jpg

FT%20024c.jpg

For those of you who like the idea of spending some time communing with nature, but have neither an RV, camper, or tent, Disney offers the Wilderness Cabins. Introduced in 1997, these “cabins” are actually modular homes that have been given a rustic feel both inside and out. The exterior of the cabins is covered in real timbers. A deck, complete with picnic table, is accessible from both the living room and bedroom. A charcoal grill is just a few feet away. Note, there is only room for one car.

FT%20025.jpg

FT%20026.jpg

FT%20027.jpg

An extensive use of wood is applied to the interior of the cabins. Combine this with country furniture, “lantern” style lighting, and Native American rugs and bedspreads, and you’ve got yourself a real rustic retreat.

The cabins measure a little over 500 square feet and can sleep six, four in the bedroom (one double bed and twin bunk beds) and two on the Murphy bed in the living room.

The living room has a loveseat (that will comfortably seat two adults), a coffee table/ottoman, and a children’s table and two small chairs.

The dining area features an oval table with a bench seat and three full-sized chairs.

The kitchen has a stove/oven, microwave, full-sized refrigerator, dishwasher, and a double sink. The kitchen is fully stocked with cooking utensils, pots and pans, dishes, and flatware.

The bathroom has a combination shower/tub, a sink, and toilet.

In the two closets are a vacuum cleaner, iron and board, collapsible crib, safe, stepladder, and broom.

There are two TVs, one in the living room (with DVD player) and one in the bedroom.

High-speed internet connections are available for a fee. WIFI is not available in the cabins. I do not know if Disney plans to add it in the future.

FT%20028.jpg

Pictures of the Living Room:

FT%20029.jpg

FT%20030.jpg

FT%20031.jpg

FT%20032.jpg

FT%20033.jpg

Pictures of the Dining Area:

FT%20034.jpg

Pictures of the Kitchen:

FT%20038.jpg

FT%20039.jpg

FT%20040.jpg

FT%20041.jpg

FT%20042.jpg

Pictures of the Bathroom:

FT%20043.jpg

FT%20044.jpg

FT%20046.jpg

Pictures of the Bedroom:

FT%20047.jpg

FT%20048.jpg

FT%20049.jpg

Things I like about the Wilderness Cabins:

The cabins are located at Fort Wilderness. This is fantastic! If you’re not a camper, but still want to experience the rustic appeal of this wonderful portion of Walt Disney World, the cabins are the way to go.

The kitchens and bathrooms have recently been refurbished.

The kitchens are well appointed. Just about anything you’d need to prepare a meal is here.

The Murphy bed is far easier to open and close than the convertible sofas found elsewhere on property. Since the beds use cables to counterbalance their movement, even a person with limited strength can effortlessly operate them.

What I don’t like about the Wilderness Cabins:

The cabins are advertised as “sleeps six.” I would not like to put this to the test. In the bedroom, the double bed is pushed up against the wall. If the inner sleeper needs to get up in the middle of the night, they must disturb their companion. The same is true of the Murphy bed. One side of the bed is a mere six inches from the couch when open. It is impossible to enter or exit the bed from this side.

The bathroom only has one sink. If six people were really using this cabin, two basins would be most useful.

The living room only has seating for two adults. Others must sit on the less than comfortable dining table chairs to watch TV.

Although the kitchen and bathroom have been recently refurbished, the rest of the cabin has a dingy feel about it. I realize it’s supposed to feel rustic, but the rooms at the Wilderness Lodge accomplish this with a cleaner feel.

I’m hoping this last complaint is just a misfortunate oversight rather than being indicative of the overall housekeeping provided at the cabins. During my stay, I found a number of items that should have been attended to before I arrived.

A can of beer was left in the refrigerator.

Empty bags were found in a kitchen cabinet.

The top of the refrigerator was very dusty.

A dead and dried lizard was found lying in the middle of a counter.

Would I stay at the Wilderness Cabins again?

Probably not. If I want the “home-away-from-home” feel a separate bedroom and kitchen provide, I would rent one of the DVCs found at other resorts around property. However, I’m a champagne and caviar type of guy. I’ve never really been into camping. I’m sure others love these rustic cabins and can’t imagine staying anyplace else.

I have created of video of the Fort Wilderness Cabins. This should give you a good idea of what they offer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vCO3LMSGW4

That’s it for Part One. Check back tomorrow when I discuss the many activities that can be found at Fort Wilderness.

http://land.allears....rt_campgro.html

Part 2...

Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground - Part Two

jack-spence%27s-masthead4.jpg

Yesterday I discussed the various campsites and cabins at Fort Wilderness and the transportation options. Today I’m going to talk about the many opportunities for adventure found at the campground.

Most people who visit Walt Disney World focus their attention on visiting the theme parks. But when you stay at Fort Wilderness, you have a slightly different attitude. Yes, the parks are terrific and cannot be ignored. But the campground offers a host of low-tech activities that also command your attention. Let’s start at The Outpost.

For those of you with a hankerin’ to ride a horse, head over to Trail Blaze Corral (Tri-Circle-D Ranch – The Outpost). Offered several times a day, these rides last about 45 minutes and offer a leisurely walk through the pine forests of Fort Wilderness. All tours have two guides, one who leads the way and another to bring up the rear. If you’re an experienced rider, you’ll probably be bored with this tour. But if you’re a city-slicker with limited opportunities to be around horses, then this adventure will be right up your alley. Riders must be at least 9 years old and 48 inches tall and can weigh no more than 250 pounds. To make advanced reservations, call (407) WDW-PLAY (939-7528). Reservations can be made up to 30 days in advance. To make same-day reservations, call 407-824-2832 or touch 57 on your in-room phone.

FT%20050.jpg

FT%20051.jpg

The Meadow offers the widest array of activities for outdoor fun. But before we start with the goings-on, let’s take a look at the Meadow Trading Post. This spot sells the usual collection of Disney souvenirs, but there are also a few Fort Wilderness exclusive pieces that cannot be found outside the campground. In addition, the store sells a reasonable selection of food stuffs to help accent the groceries you brought with you. Free WIFI is also available in and around this shop. Removable propane tanks can also be refilled here. Packages being delivered from the parks will be dropped off at the Meadow Trading Post for you to pick up at a later time. The Meadow Trading Post is open from 8am to 10pm.

FT%20052.jpg

FT%20053.jpg

FT%20054.jpg

As you might imagine, bicycles can be rented at the Bike Barn. However, other equipment can also be obtained here. Canoes, kayaks, rods & reels (and bait), shuffleboard equipment, tennis rackets, and other sports paraphernalia are available from 9am to 7pm. Note, fishing is on a “catch and release” basis.

FT%20055.jpg

FT%20056.jpg

FT%20057.jpg

FT%20058.jpg

FT%20059.jpg

Paddling the waterways of Fort Wilderness is the perfect way to while away an hour. One of the canals makes a circle in and about the campsites and unspoiled woods. It takes about 30-45 minutes to complete the journey and along the way you’ll see a varied assortment of wildlife. You might also recognize one of the bridges that the old Fort Wilderness Railroad once traversed.

FT%20060.jpg

FT%20061.jpg

FT%20062.jpg

FT%20063.jpg

Wilderness Back Trail Adventure offers guests a chance to experience a Segway X2 Personal Transporter. This is an off-road tour that winds its way around the campground with a side trip to the Wilderness Lodge and back. The event lasts two hours including training. For reservations call 407-939-8687. Groups meet at the Bike Barn.

FT%20064.jpg

Every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, Disney offers the Fort Wilderness Archery Experience. At this activity, instructors conduct a short training session, teaching guests how to hold and fire a compound bow and arrow. When target practice begins, the trainers will offer tips and techniques on how to better hit that coveted bull’s-eye. The session lasts one and a half hours.

FT%20065.jpg

Near the Bike Barn is Meadow Swimmin’ Pool. Open 7am to 12 midnight, this pool is the perfect spot to cool down with a dip during the hot Florida summer. Numerous lounge chairs are available for you to sunbathe (don’t forget your sunscreen) as are tables for games and conversation. Lifeguard hours vary. Check the posted sign for current times.

FT%20066.jpg

FT%20067.jpg

In an effort to pay homage to past Fort Wilderness attractions, the Imagineers designed the water slide at Meadow Swimmin’ Pool with something special. The large barrel that anchors the slide used to welcome guests arriving at River Country. In addition, the Imagineers have repainted the barrel to sport the logo from the old Fort Wilderness Railroad.

FT%20068.jpg

FT%20069.jpg

FT%20070.jpg

One of the best kiddie pools at Walt Disney World can be found at the Meadow Swimmin’ Pool. Two slides, water spouts, geysers, cascading buckets, and more entertain those too young to venture into deeper waters.

FT%20071.jpg

Hungry? Meadow Snack Bar offers hotdogs, flatbreads, salads, and sandwiches. Soft drinks, beer, and a limited selection of cocktails will help quench your thirst. A number of picnic tables are nearby. This spot is open for lunch only.

FT%20072.jpg

Next to the snack bar is Daniel Boone’s Wilderness Arcade. Open daily from 7:30am to 10pm, this is the spot to put your hand/eye coordination to the test with electronic wizardry.

FT%20073.jpg

FT%20074.jpg

Also in The Meadow area is Chip & Dale’s Campfire Sing-A-Long. This is a Fort Wilderness tradition and a must-attend for families with little ones.

FW%20075.gif

Each evening around dusk, a campfire is started. At the nearby chuck wagon, marshmallows and hotdogs can be purchased for roasting over the open fire. Even S’mores kits are for sale. It’s a hoot to watch the young’uns attempt to roast their marshmallows without setting them ablaze.

FT%20076.jpg

FT%20077.jpg

FT%20078.jpg

As the evening’s guests begin to settle in, a singing cowboy, joined by Chip & Dale, take the stage and encourage the audience to join them in song. Old standards like “Home on the Range” and “She’ll be Comin’ Round the Mountain” are the songs du jour. These are melodies that everyone knows the words and can easily join in. Even the “Hokey Pokey” is performed with participants putting their left leg in and their left leg out. There is nothing sophisticated about this sing-a-long.

FT%20079.jpg

When the melodies come to an end, the movie begins. Each evening, a different Disney classic film is shown under the stars. Check the campground information guides for times and movies.

I do need to warn you, the log benches leave a lot to be desired when it comes to comfort. The evening I attended, one seasoned couple brought their own folding chairs.

FT%20080.jpg

The Meadow is a great recreational area. I’ve tried to discuss most of the activities, but I know I’ve forgotten a few. In my opinion, The Meadow is the heart of Fort Wilderness.

Now let’s move north to The Settlement. The Settlement lies on the banks of Bay Lake and this is where guests can catch boats to Wilderness Lodge, the Contemporary Resort, and the Magic Kingdom.

FT%20082.jpg

FT%20083.jpg

FW%20081.gif

Near the boat dock is the Fort Marina Recreation and Boat Rentals. Here you can rent one of the speedy Sea Racers or a more leisurely pontoon boat. This is also the spot where you can arrange for a two hour fishing trip out on Bay Lake. An experienced guide and fishing equipment are included in the package so all you have to do is sit back and enjoy the experience.

FT%20084.jpg

FT%20085.jpg

FT%20086.jpg

On the white sandy beach are dozens of lounge chairs, tetherball poles, and volleyball nets. This is a great spot to relax in the shade of the nearby trees or bask in the sun. Note, swimming is not allowed in Bay Lake.

FT%20087.jpg

FT%20088.jpg

A short walk from the beach is a Fort Wilderness oddity, the Lawnmower Tree. Discovered here when Disney bought the property is an old push-style lawn mower that was left leaning against a tree. As the years passed, the tree began to grow around the equipment. In the early years of Fort Wilderness, the lawnmower was easy to see. But as time marched on, more and more of the metal was obscured by the growing tree. A few years ago, Disney cut most of the tree down. I don’t know if this was because the tree was diseased or if this was an effort to stop the eventual total consumption of the lawnmower. But the remains of the tree and lawnmower are still on view today.

FT%20089.jpg

FT%20090.jpg

Near the Lawnmower Tree is the Settlement Trading Post. Like its sister store located at The Meadow, this spot sells Disney souvenirs, Fort Wilderness exclusive merchandise, and groceries.

FT%20091.jpg

I have never attended Mickey’s Backyard BBQ Dinner Show, so I cannot offer any firsthand information, but here’s what Disney says:

Mickey's Backyard BBQ Dinner Show is an all-you-care-to-eat Disney Character dance party with live entertainment. Frolic with Mickey, Minnie and Friends at this neighborly outdoor picnic in the middle of the covered, open-air Pavilion at Fort Wilderness. With foot-stomping music from a country-western band, line dancing, rope tricks and kid-friendly fun, you won't sit still for a second. Little ones can even dance a jig with their favorite Disney Characters on the dance floor! Enjoy a delectable buffet featuring all your beloved country vittles: barbeque smoked ribs, smoked chicken, hamburgers, hotdogs with all the trimmings, corn on the cob, watermelon and more. It's a mouth-watering, knee-slapping good time!

FT%20092.jpg

FT%20093.jpg

FT%20094.jpg

Pioneer Hall offers three treats: Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Review, Trail’s End/Crockett’s Tavern, and Rocking Chairs.

FT%20095.jpg

Let’s start with the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Review. For me, this is one of the best experiences to be had at Walt Disney World. I absolutely love this show. Every time I see it, tears run down my cheeks I laugh so hard at the corny jokes. This show offers something for everyone. However, since I’ve written an entire blog on this subject, I’m not going to go into detail here. To read my complete review, click here.

I do want to mention, the title song, “Hoop-Dee-Doo Polka” has been replaced by a new number. From what I understand, Disney did not have the rights to use the song and a replacement was needed.

FT%20096.jpg

FT%20097.jpg

FT%20098.jpg

Trail's End offers a buffet breakfast and dinner and menu-service at lunch. At one time, lunch was also a buffet, but this eatery is so sparsely attended mid-day that Disney found it financially impractical to maintain the buffet at this time.

I like Trail’s End, especially at dinner. The buffet offers a decent salad bar including peel-your-own shrimp. For entrees there are fried chicken, BBQ ribs, pulled pork, a nightly carving item, fish, several vegetables, potatoes, and great chili. Dessert includes soft-serve ice cream, cobbler, cake, cookies, and pecan pie.

There is nothing fancy about Trail’s End. The surroundings are rustic and the food uncomplicated. But everything tastes great and the service is friendly. I highly recommend this spot for your evening meal.

FT%20099.jpg

FT%20100.jpg

FT%20101.jpg

I saved the best for last – rocking chairs. Lining the porch of Pioneer Hall is a number of rocking chairs. For me, sitting here and enjoying the atmosphere is a fantastic experience. Once, I literally sat here for over an hour with my brother and sister-in-law who were vacationing from California. This was the perfect spot to reconnect after a long time between visits. Crockett’s Tavern offers nearby window service in the afternoon/evening so a refreshing beverage is also close at hand while rocking away the hours.

FT%20102.jpg

FT%20103.jpg

In the evening, 45 minute Wagon Rides are offered which take you on a leisurely jaunt through Fort Wilderness. And if you’re in the mood for something a little more romantic, private Carriage Rides are also available.

FT%20104.jpg

FT%20105.jpg

Have you ever wondered where the horses that pull the trolleys on Main Street go when their shift is over? Well, they live at Tri-Circle-D Farm & Ranch (The Settlement). By the way, have you noticed the “tri-circle” creates Mickey Mouse?

FT%20106.jpg

A large barn, which is open to guests, can be visited during the day and you can have a peek at the living conditions these four-legged cast members are provided.

FT%20107.jpg

FT%20108.jpg

FT%20109.jpg

FT%20110.jpg

Outside the barn you’ll often find the white Shetland ponies that are used to pull Cinderella’s glass coach for weddings and parades. The ponies are also available for rides for the younger set. Children must be at least 2 years old, weigh less than 80 pounds, be under 48” and led by an adult around the small course.

FT%20112.jpg

Also at the ranch is a real blacksmith. This is one of the rarer cast member designations. If you time your visit right, you can see him shoeing a horse or fixing a wagon wheel.

FT%20113.jpg

I said earlier that I’m a champagne and caviar type of guy. Yet, I still love Fort Wilderness Campground. This is a wonderful spot that seems miles away from the hectic theme parks. I love to walk the sidewalks and trails here and inhale the rich scent of pine. This area clears the cobwebs out of my brain.

I have tried to touch on the highlights of this wonderful resort, but there is no way I could adequately describe all the activities there are to enjoy here. And remember, with the exception of the swimming pools, the rest of these offerings are open to everyone. Just because you’re staying at the Grand Floridian doesn’t mean you can’t come over to Fort Wilderness for some archery or bike riding or a meal at Trail’s End. So on your next trip to WDW, take the time and spend an afternoon poking around this wonderful retreat. You’ll be glad you did.

For a more detailed look at Fort Wilderness, check out the AllEars Fact Sheet.

As always, I have created a video highlighting the various activities found at Fort Wilderness Campground. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGfmySredog

http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/2012/03/fort_wilderness_campground_res_1.html

And I'm pretty sure the cabins have been around a lot longer then 97 unless he is specifically talking about the newer ones... We use to stay there when I was a kid in the cabins and the lay out was almost completely different the back half was the same as it is in that photo but the front was flip flopped

And I'm pretty sure the cabins have been around a lot longer then 97 unless he is specifically talking about the newer ones... We use to stay there when I was a kid in the cabins and the lay out was almost completely different the back half was the same as it is in that photo but the front was flip flopped

Yeah, they started the "Wilderness Home" to Wilderness Cabin transition in 1997

Ok that would make sense since we stopped staying there around 96-97... i have some great memories of the fort as a kid.... i remember the lawnmower tree use to be surrounded by trees and i could never actually find the tree when did they cut it all the way back?