Our 1989 Trips - Pics from the Past

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, pretty sure I had that Epcot shirt on the left. I visited Epcot around 1988 or so.

That's a girls shirt, Dave!

Okay, I'm gonna try and finish this up. I have lots of pics, but I'm trying to only post the ones that show a real difference in WDW from 1989 to the present.

Around 1986 I told David that I would love to spend my 40th birthday in Disney World. I never mentioned it again and figured that it went the way of most of my remarks -- "in one ear and out the other." In 1989 about 3 weeks before my birthday David asked if I still wanted to spend my birthday there. Shock, shock! Our APs were still valid, and he had already arranged for my parents to babysit the two younger kids. Of course I said yes, then he dropped a bomb. He didn't want to tow the TT down for a short trip, so would I mind tent camping? We bought a tiny little tent just big enough for a queen-sized air mattress, a TV, and a cooler. And off we went.

We arrived at the fort, set up the tent. Here's our site. The tent was so small, you can't see it behind the suburban:

Campsite078.jpg

We were somewhere in the 100 loop.

After getting set up we were off to the MK and stayed there pretty late. We got back to the tent, and it was 40 degrees out! The only source of heat we had was a hair dryer. So we rearranged our site once again. Put the air mattress back into the suburban and used the tent for storage. Used the hair dryer to heat our PJs before we could even change into them. We woke up freezing several times that night.

The next morning we ate cold cereal at an even colder picnic table, then went over to MGM. I'm glad I took this picture, because I've not seen this snack location open since that trip:

DHSsnackshop069.jpg

Some more shots from MGM:

DHSChristinaPickles1074.jpg

DHSChristinaPickles2075.jpg

DHShouse2b073.jpg

DHShouse2a072.jpg

DHShouse1a070.jpg

DHShouse1b071.jpg

I remember the Golden Girls house, but what was the other house used for?

Photobucket is acting up again ... will finish up later.

I recently found our 1989 pics and had a blast going through them. Wanted to share some of them with you all!

We were at the fort in August 1989. It looked considerably different back then!

SettlementTP023.jpg

Settlement024.jpg

Beach026.jpg

Outpost037.jpg

River Country:

RiverCountry01027.jpg

RiverCountry03029.jpg

RiverCountry03030.jpg

RiverCountry02028.jpg

RiverCountry04031.jpg

RiverCountry05032.jpg

RiverCountry08035.jpg

RiverCountry06033.jpg

RiverCountry07034.jpg

The view from the skyway in the MK:

Skyway1043.jpg

Skyway2044.jpg

Skyway3045.jpg

Skyway4046.jpg

Skyway5047.jpg

20000Leagues1048.jpg

20000Leagues2049.jpg

More to come when Photobucket starts behaving.

Those photos from the Skyway were really cool. Notice the crowd level?