Campground Ettiquette and horror stories

Late arrivals:   

If you are arriving at a park after normal quiet hours, attempt some degree of stealth behavior. Not that it is easy to be unobtrusive pulling in an RV. But keep the set-up to the minimum required for the night. Your neighbors will understand that you need to pull in and hook up. They have probably been in the same situation. But they will lose patience if they spend an hour listening to loud conversation, slamming doors and arguments over how to level the rig. Do what is essential and remember that tomorrow is another day. The same sort of courtesy should be used if you are making an early morning departure. Don?t keep the engine idling for an hour before you leave. Tidy up your campsite the night before.

we have never arrived late but if we did, I am sure the amusement others would find in our attempt to back 40' of fifth wheel into some of the Fort's sites would make up for noise.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Resurrecting this thread from the grave as I have seen a lot of relevant posts lately about rude campers.   TN22 and I grew up camping and there were always VERY aware of campground etiquette -   - Do

Late arrivals:   

If you are arriving at a park after normal quiet hours, attempt some degree of stealth behavior. Not that it is easy to be unobtrusive pulling in an RV. But keep the set-up to the minimum required for the night. Your neighbors will understand that you need to pull in and hook up. They have probably been in the same situation. But they will lose patience if they spend an hour listening to loud conversation, slamming doors and arguments over how to level the rig. Do what is essential and remember that tomorrow is another day. The same sort of courtesy should be used if you are making an early morning departure. Don?t keep the engine idling for an hour before you leave. Tidy up your campsite the night before.

we have never arrived late but if we did, I am sure the amusement others would find in our attempt to back 40' of fifth wheel into some of the Fort's sites would make up for noise.

backing in wasn't our problem... fitting both the TT and the truck in the space while keeping the TT in a position where the slinky was still connected was (we were in the bottom of our loop where it curved sharply and we have rear bathroom with rear connections)

Late arrivals:   

backing in wasn't our problem... fitting both the TT and the truck in the space while keeping the TT in a position where the slinky was still connected was (we were in the bottom of our loop where it curved sharply and we have rear bathroom with rear connections)

Lucky us, we stayed at 719 last week, I was so happy that the 50amp cord was able to reach the plug i never noticed the sewer and TV connection were back there also, spent about an hour slicing hoses together and borrowing cable's. Now some people might say "why didn't you just move the trailer" and the answer to that is the slides were out, the levelers were down, the dogs were in the trailer and the truck was unhitched. I wish Disney would have put the connections all in the same place at all the sites. And while I am at it who in the hell decided where to place the garbage cans and recycling bins, they are always in the way!

Blow dryers at midnight = RUDE

My not rude thing (atleast I don't think so!) is put my youngest down for bed around 7 because he'll probably cry or play because he doesn't want to sleep.  I figure if I put him down at 7, no one else will be trying to sleep, so if he does cry, he's not disturbing anyone's sleep.

Late arrivals:   

Lucky us, we stayed at 719 last week, I was so happy that the 50amp cord was able to reach the plug i never noticed the sewer and TV connection were back there also, spent about an hour slicing hoses together and borrowing cable's. Now some people might say "why didn't you just move the trailer" and the answer to that is the slides were out, the levelers were down, the dogs were in the trailer and the truck was unhitched. I wish Disney would have put the connections all in the same place at all the sites. And while I am at it who in the hell decided where to place the garbage cans and recycling bins, they are always in the way!

I always check to ensure everything reaches before I unhook. I've been in the same situation before and learned my lesson.

We had a guy that thought it would be a good idea to use a circular saw to cut up palates to use as fire wood.  Of course he waited till night time to start his fire and then every 45-60 minutes he would fire that thing up and make about a dozen cuts.  Finally, about 10 o'clock the park ranger showed up to see what construction was going on that late at night. 

Also had a guy with a chainsaw one time. I explained to him he really should not be using a chainsaw at night, especially in a campground, and doubly  especially, YOU DON'T CUT DOWN LIVE TREES FOR FIRE WOOD. 

I hate camping on Holiday Weekends but when you work and have kids in school you just have to.

Late arrivals:   

I always check to ensure everything reaches before I unhook. I've been in the same situation before and learned my lesson.

We learned that lesson after we unhitched the first time.  The next two times we had to re-hitch was for fitting the truck... unfortunately, it isn't until you get it unhitched that you can see if the truck fit in the space you've left for it.  Our site was great but had a few angles and trees to work around.... our neighbors probably enjoyed the show.

Seen this at Dover Speedway....

It is rude to unplug someones camper from THEIR generator and plug yours in, then get all ticked off cause your pup was left with no air on!!! Oh it is is also rude to knock on another campers door and ask to use your toilet cause their black tank is full!!

:banana: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :banana:

It is rude to unplug someones camper from THEIR generator and plug yours in, then get all ticked off cause your pup was left with no air on!!! Oh it is is also rude to knock on another campers door and ask to use your toilet cause their black tank is full!!

:parrot: :rofl2: :mort1: ;) :argh: :argh:

:tool:

And beer had nothing to do with this odd behavior?  Wow.

The worse thing we had was when we were in 605 at the fort and the people in 603 had a TT about 26ft. It was a guy with 2 women and 3 huge dogs that barked  constantly when they were out. One morning they were out walking the dogs and then put them in the TT and left. For the next half hour all we heard was barking dogs and breaking up of the TT. They were gone for about an hour, when they got back I am sure they got the surprise of their life, the noises coming from that TT said to me they had broken everything that was and wasn't nailed down.

The worse stupid thing we did was in NJ, no big surprise there. We had to go visit my mother who is bed ridden and found a "campground" about 30 miles away, campgrounds in NJ are few and far between and from what I have experienced have sucked. We pulled in late afternoon when the temp was hovering around 100 degrees, the lady said we got there just in time as they were closing down the store and check in to save electric because of the heat wave.

We got our site and went out in the woods and backed in, the hook ups seemed to be in strange places but usable, it's too hot to over think it. Well we got all set up, soaked with sweat, tired and ready to leave to go see my mother. One last look and I realized we were on the wrong side of the damn tree! We were backed into the wrong place. Well here we go, over 100 degrees and we had to move, un hook and reset up. To make things worse, the site we were assigned had to be the hardest site I have ever had to get into. The lady across from us was a long termer and said several people had hit the tree we had to maneuver around. Now when I get to a site, I get out and make sure I am in the right place first and I don't use campgrounds in NJ anymore.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :argh: :argh: :argh:

It was Delaware...'nough said!

:D :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

It was Delaware...'nough said!

I thought it was because you were at a Nascar event.

I live close to Dover and will not go to the race gets a little to crazy in some of the lots there.

Oh I have heard horror stories about lot 10!!! We will never camp there! We always camp in lot 2 on the end of course :rofl2:

To be honest I was not bad at all and most of the time everyone was sober.. except for the night AFTER the race! A lot of noise coming from the parking area next to lot 2!! Kind of funny at times to watch people trying to figure out how to use the porta potty in the dark and the millions of OMG'S being yelled from it!!  :rofl2:

• 2 weeks later...

OK I just got back from the Fort for 10 days and now I have a new most aggravating thing that people do.  PLEASE use the hook and unhook area to unload your stuff.  I understand that people tow cars behind your motorhome and trailer you golfcart or put them in your toy hauler.  But do not drive through your loop and start to unhook it or unload it in front of your site and block the whole loop for 15-20 mins.  I watched this happen probably 5 or 6 times this past week.. Please the unhook area is there for a reason... USE IT!!  Or use the overflow lot.   

OK I am better now thanks!!!!! :dropjaw:

OK I just got back from the Fort for 10 days and now I have a new most aggravating thing that people do.  PLEASE use the hook and unhook area to unload your stuff.  I understand that people tow cars behind your motorhome and trailer you golfcart or put them in your toy hauler.  But do not drive through your loop and start to unhook it or unload it in front of your site and block the whole loop for 15-20 mins.  I watched this happen probably 5 or 6 times this past week.. Please the unhook area is there for a reason... USE IT!!  Or use the overflow lot.   

OK I am better now thanks!!!!! :dropjaw:

I agree I guess some folks can't read!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this thread from the grave as I have seen a lot of relevant posts lately about rude campers.

TN22 and I grew up camping and there were always VERY aware of campground etiquette -

- Don't walk through another's campsite

- Don't go into another's camper without a parent's permission (This was the 70's and 80's) 

- Don't approach someone's LEASHED pet without permission

- Cars and RV's had the right of way - get to the side of the road where you could be seen

- Pick up your trash 

- NIght time was quiet time 

- ALWAYS RESPECT YOUR ELDERS-  if we didn't we usually got spanked by them - and then again when our parents found out…there were eyes everywhere!!!

- and we an go on and on, but bottom line it was about RESPECT

When we camp with our families now, we often put chairs or hammocks up to block easy pathways - only to watch preteens move our stuff out of the way as they march thru….just no respect anymore…. :484grumpy11:

We have seen so much it's hard to remember what would be the "best". Here is a few:

Ft Wilderness in trailer (Before the cabins - who all remembers those??) in the 2500 loop (1990 ish). There was a large, loud party about 5 "cabins" away and it was 3 cabins involved. It got louder after 9pm and with 3 children who needed sleep I & several of the others in loop finally called and complained. 15 minutes tops, it was quiet! Next day learned from a cast member we knew, that it was a group of Disney managers and that they were disciplined.

3 years ago, had to wait to get into our site to set up. Security was watching someone pack up and leave.

I am always tolerant of late arrivals. However if it looks like it is going to be a show, you will find me in my camp chair, positioned for the best view of the "show".

We were camping in a tent at a state park. Across the street a loud group had just set up. I was a little worried that we would be in for an adventure but as soon as they set up they were off fishing on the lake. Night came and the group was now pretty drunk from their day on the lake.  As quiet hour approached we tumbled into bed hoping that the group would soon call it a night. While laying listening to their conversations one member of the group got the great idea to try and light his farts. Next thing I hear is a swoosh and him screaming that his pants were on fire. My husband and I had to bury our faces in the pillow so as to not be heard ROTF.  They were quiet after that.