This weekend I saw an ad on craigslist for a 2002 pop up camper for $600. There were no pics and the ad said AS IS so I thought maybe some tree fell on it or something else. So I sent a email and she sent dark grubby pics and said nothing was wrong with it but some mice made a nest in it and chewed holes in the canvas on one bunkend. So we went and looked at it and this is what we found.

photo-2.jpg

This thing is in perfect working condition with the exception of about 8 holes in the canvas with the largest being about the size of a 1/2dollar. It even has a slide out. I couldn't believe the price I asked her 3 times so $600 is all you want?? :bugeyes: It even has new tires. So needless to say it is now sitting on our camper pad.

We went today and looked at a hybrid toyhauler (gotta have a golf cart) and the salesman offered $2600 trade on the pop up. I don't want the toyhauler that we looked at but it was good to know the approx. value of the pop up :clint:

PSA on craigslist: You GOTTA post pics!!!!! I can't tell you how many times I skimed over this ad cause it didn't have pics.

I agree with you on the photos, often times I don't even look at listings if they don't have one.

Having said that, we also got our last camper off of CL, from an obscure ad with no photos. So maybe there is something to being persistent and digging deeper.

We paid about 60% of the blue book value for our TT when we bought it. We did have to turn around and put some work into it right away, including tires, but even with that we still came out way below market value. And we have used the heck out of it, so I am sure we have gotten our money's worth and then some. We were lucky enough to be the first ones to go and look at it in person, it sold within 3 hours of the listing being posted.

It just so happened that it was an older couple who was selling it, they had already upgraded to a MH, and just wanted to unload it. They live in the backwoods of GA and didn't have the best internet connection or the tech savvy to be able to upload photos.

Some of us just get lucky sometimes and stumble on what at first looks like garbage but turns out to be a gem! yay for us!!

Congrats on the popup. Your post yesterday got me thinking and I found tent/popup sites available (albeit at $92 per night). Sometimes, I wish we had something small like a popup or truck camper rather than our big trailer. It costs so much to tow it and we have to slow down that it takes us much longer. I looked on Craigslist and found a truck camper for $800. Showed it to DW who immediately shot that down. Oh well, I still have a tent...

Congrats on the popup. Your post yesterday got me thinking and I found tent/popup sites available (albeit at $92 per night). Sometimes, I wish we had something small like a popup or truck camper rather than our big trailer. It costs so much to tow it and we have to slow down that it takes us much longer. I looked on Craigslist and found a truck camper for $800. Showed it to DW who immediately shot that down. Oh well, I still have a tent...

LOL! I always point out the benefits of pups to my wife...our first RV was a popup many moons ago and I loved it. She likes the trailer we have now. We're keeping the trailer.

Same here! Yesterday I was looking for a site and they only had partials and I thought, well if we still had out popup…….

The other good thing about it was I could actually take off with the boys whether my husband could come or not. I cannot hook up and tow our TT alone.

Thanks everyone I'm pretty happy with my find.

LOL! I always point out the benefits of pups to my wife...our first RV was a popup many moons ago and I loved it. She likes the trailer we have now. We're keeping the trailer.

Same here! Yesterday I was looking for a site and they only had partials and I thought, well if we still had out popup…….

The other good thing about it was I could actually take off with the boys whether my husband could come or not. I cannot hook up and tow our TT alone.

You guys and gals are right pop-ups are super easy maintain and you can fit them pretty much anywhere. Another thing for us is that we only really camp at the Fort(I know shocking)so I can't see having a big trailer and maybe even a loan on something that we don't use very often.

My main concern with a pop-up though and this is a big one is no bathroom. I know the fort has great bathrooms but every time we go on vacation my kids or I get sick :barf: (remember last year??)and the thought running to the bathroom in the middle of the night makes me want to stay home.

So I've been watching this:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/rvs/3154995070.html

We might go look at it this weekend :jumpforjoy

Thanks everyone I'm pretty happy with my find.

You guys and gals are right pop-ups are super easy maintain and you can fit them pretty much anywhere. Another thing for us is that we only really camp at the Fort(I know shocking)so I can't see having a big trailer and maybe even a loan on something that we don't use very often.

My main concern with a pop-up though and this is a big one is no bathroom. I know the fort has great bathrooms but every time we go on vacation my kids or I get sick :barf: (remember last year??)and the thought running to the bathroom in the middle of the night makes me want to stay home.

So I've been watching this:

http://minneapolis.c...3154995070.html

We might go look at it this weekend :jumpforjoy

WARNING: I apologize for being gross but I am not sure how else to describe my experience. Do not read further if you are easily offended or nauseated!

Last time we were at the Fort, I was sick. We have a bathroom. But, it's just one of those little toilets with the hand flush, not one of the larger step-flush ones some of the newer units and big MH's have. I was not about to puke into that itty bitty little bowl and have it all spatter back on me. They're really not suitable, and the sink is dinky too. Fortunately I always have a bucket with us, which is what I use at home when the kids are sick.

I do like having the toilet for the middle of the night, and not having to traipse to the CS in my jammies with no bra on first thing in the morning. However, we still use the bathrooms at campgrounds exclusively unless it's just to tinkle, if you get what I mean.

This is disgusting and a little embarrassing, but worth a thought. Bathrooms in campers are handy but by no means comparable to the ones we have in our homes.

I agree with you about the toilets being too small and we always use the CS at the fort cause they are so nice. TMI alert!! :wave1: you've been warned..

A bucket works for the top end however for the bottom end a bucket won't do and unfortunately for us both top and bottom come together :flush2:

I could stock up on astronaut diapers?? :rofl2: But well that's just icky....

Sorry for the TMI but I warned you!

I agree with you about the toilets being too small and we always use the CS at the fort cause they are so nice. TMI alert!! :wave1: you've been warned..

A bucket works for the top end however for the bottom end a bucket won't do and unfortunately for us both top and bottom come together :flush2:

I could stock up on astronaut diapers?? :rofl2: But well that's just icky....

Sorry for the TMI but I warned you!

I understand. We just try to make Dad's job of cleaning the stinky slinky a little less nasty. Plus being in FL, the tanks and hoses sit out in the heat and well - you know that lovely aroma when you pass a water treatment plant? Yeah. Even those chemicals can't do much when it's 90 plus degrees out.

Astronaut diapers. Now that's funny!

Good luck with your search.