Golf Cart - to Buy or not to buy

Hi Folks - new member and will be a first time Fort camper in May - naturally I can't wait.

I have 2 young kids and I would like to camp at the fort at a minimum every 2 years - preferable every year if possible - maybe just go to the parks every other year. Anyway - I am looking at purchasing a golf cart - I found a very reasonable deal here locally and it fits in my budget. Reading these posts convince me that the Fort is quite sprawling and it you want to see it all a cart is just about necessary. There are a few other RV resorts here locally that allow golf carts where I could use it - so - is it worth it if you plan to go to the fort many more times?

Thanks.

We spend 3 weeks at the Fort each year and if we could find a way to get a golf cart there, we'd definitely buy one as it would save us a TON on rentals over time.

Golf carts aren't really a necessity at the Fort. The internal buses will get you where you need to go and depending on what loop you're in, walking and bikes are also a good option. However we find having a GC to just be a lot of fun and going "looping" to be a big part of the Fort experience for us - especially around the holidays when the campers go all out with decorations.

It's also much more pleasant to do laundry on vacation when you drive to the "laundromat" on a golf cart! :)

For my family, a golf cart is a must. We have gone without one and it was just not even close to as enjoyable. We spend a lot of time looping and visiting with our Fiend friends. Sure you can get by without one, but it's not near as convenient nor as it as much fun!

Welcome!!!!

We would have to choose towing a car or towing a golf cart, so it doesn't make sense for us to buy one. HOWEVER, DH still wants one. I'll admit, they are fun! If you will use it other places as well, it might be worth it. If not, I'd rent from one of the non-Disney cart rental places.

we like having our golf cart. the only place we use it - is pretty much at the fort. but, we do use it - a lot - at home. going to the fort a few times a year or a longer stay would be worth buying. but, also consider how much a rental would be and that you could put that $ into your own cart.

i know a few people that could own a cart in just a few rental times. also--i really haven't seen depreciation in the 2 carts we have owned. not real sure-but, i think they hold their value pretty good..

First of all welcome.

We have had a cart for years and we've had both electric an gas. If you need advice on either one pm me and ill see if i can help. I think you'll find that you will use it more then you think. It's our first day at the fort and couldn't imagine bring here without one.

A golf cart at the fort is not a must have, but it sure makes life a lot more fun!

We've had two carts. We frequent Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach and the fort with occasional trips to other destinations. Ocean Lakes charges almost as much as the fort to rent a cart.

The first cart we purchased used. It paid for itself within two years. We had it for 20+ years, and it was several years old when we bought it.

A few years ago we purchased a new cart. It will take a few more years to pay for itself, but we expect to keep it as long as we're able to go camping -- hoping more than 15 more years. So we will save quite a bit of money with it too.

etg052, we bought our cart about a year ago and have taken it to the Fort twice. We both love it for all the reasons already given. Looping and "Fiend Finding" are great fun. Also trips to Crocketts are a nice use.

Yvonne, a few things w/ electric ; Age and condition of batteries; Condition of tires; Also the size of the electric motor (Unless you want to get passed by Armidillos like Tn..Bob :rofl3: )

If you're looking at a caert like Carol was talking about, that must be a Alabama thing. Ask her for more info. :clint:

Also the size of the electric motor (Unless you want to get passed by Armidillos like Tn..Bob :rofl3: )

Now now, there's nothing wrong with armadillos. and FTR being passed by Bob isn't the worst that could happen. Being passed by Bob or my DH while pushing your speedier, but dead, cart is much worse... :smug:

Yvonne - call Lorna & Ritchie. Our green cart's for sale and as soon as it's sold, that's what we plan to do for a newer GC...

So far inside that Bobby isn't even aware of it! :rofl2:

I am a legend in my own mind.

How would you transport a cart? Your signature pic looks like you have a non-toyhauler travel trailer and a short bed truck. I know some short carts can fit in a 6.5' bed with the tailgate removed, but even then the weight of an electric cart is far in excess of what most trucks can haul in their bed, nevermind the hitch weight of the trailer. I'm asking because I'm in a similar situation.