Since I chimed in for this section of the board I better post. Sil and I are planning on buying into DVC when she finishes Grad school as her reward for getting through it. We both have thought about it for a while and we are ready now but want to get the school bills out of the way.

Anyone else thinking about purchasing. Wouldn't purchase? And why wouldn't you purchase?

We like DVC and have used ours for both us and friends and family, it does sometime take some planning if you want to use it at the busy times but with some folks planning the trip is the best part. The only bad thing an waiting is the price is always going up so a resale might be the best deal. Good Luck

We're happy with our purchase. We bought resale and got a really good deal. You can still buy resale but I believe Disney has imposed some restrictions on resale points.

They say to buy where you want to stay. But honestly, we haven't had a problem booking other resorts at the seven month mark. You might only have trouble if you really wanted VWL at Christmas or BWV during F&W (both being very popular). I would buy resale at OKW for the lower point prices and lower annual dues if I had to do it over again.

• 2 weeks later...

Another fellow DVC member here... We have been members for about 6 years now and have really enjoyed using it.

We purchased direct from Disney and Saratoga Springs is our "home resort" and like others have said, we have never had any issue with getting what we want from other resorts.

While the Fort is still my most favorite place to stay, we never use points to stay there. We always use the points exclusively to stay at DVC properties.

Before we purchased, I was always in the "camp" of time shares are a big waste of money and the whole high pressure sales tactics really turned me off. Well when the wife talked me into going to a DVC sales presentation on a Disney cruise we were on, I reluctantly obliged. Long story short, it was completely opposite than what I was used to. No high pressure sales pitch, none of this "if you don't buy now, the deal will be gone", they said we could go home and talk about it, then we could call and talk to them later on... So it was a pleasant experience.

The main reason we purchased was to have a place to stay at Disney during the winter months when my daughter, who was in year round school, was out on break. I don't like to get the camper out in the winter when the roads could turn nasty... So if we want to go down for a night, or a week, we could (if they had availability).

I know there are many on here who are "anti-DVC" at the Fort, which I am one of them also.... If Disney wants to have another DVC resort on Bay Lake, I think there is plenty of land for them to use between WL and the Fort without them bulldozing the current horse barn and laying down more concrete and asphalt near Pioneer Hall....

Most DVC folks are not snobs, but those who genuinely love coming to Disney for what it is....

Members since 1992. Original purchase and 3 resale purchases were at Old Key West. Our 5th purchase was at Boardwalk Villas. We decided to have the home location on the last purchase different to make it easier to book for Food & Wine and for Christmas. We highly recommend resales unless you are wanting to exchange your points for the cruises or Adventures by Disney or concierge locations. If you fully intend to use them for DVC resorts then go to the resalers and book the least expensive points available. It's interesting that you can now buy some of the resales at the same rates as 1992 because of the real estate bubble burst. But as the real estate market improves, so will DVC. And we almost never use our points for staying at the Fort. We use most of them on the most expensive cash-wise stays, which for us is for cruising.

• 2 months later...

Had DVC since 2002 and love it.  We have points at Beach Club and Saratoga Springs.  I am also against a DVC at the fort.

We have only started staying at the fort a few years ago and will be going in December.  We mainly stay at the DVC resorts, but may do more camping after we see how the December trip goes.  Would still use our points for DVC, not the fort.

jon

• 1 year later...

Apparently if you buy points on the resale market you don't have all the "benefits" of some one who purchased directly from Disney.

Two questions

1. What are the benefits?

2. If I was to buy the minimum points from Disney and more points from the resale market would I get all the benifits when using the combined points for my stay?

Apparently if you buy points on the resale market you don't have all the "benefits" of some one who purchased directly from Disney.

Two questions

1. What are the benefits?

2. If I was to buy the minimum points from Disney and more points from the resale market would I get all the benifits when using the combined points for my stay?

Disney purchase you can trade into the other collections, use for cruise, adventures by disney and other locations around the world. 

Resale I know can not use those. Only the main DVC properties are available. Not sure on other differences. 

Disney purchase you can trade into the other collections, use for cruise, adventures by disney and other locations around the world.

Resale I know can not use those. Only the main DVC properties are available. Not sure on other differences.

Question 2. If you owned both would the Disney purchased property take precedence ove the resale purchase or vis a verse?

We just bought wyndham bonnet creek and wyndham palm aire. We can book Bonnet creek earlier than others who don't have it as there home resort. We have 100,000 points at bonnet and 88,000 at Palm-aire. So we booked the resort as soon as it became available. It took 160,000 points. Will Disney let you transfer your Disney purchased points towards a cruise and your resale points for the same cruise? Sorry, I'm not sure if I'm asking the question right.

Thanks

We like ours J.

We use ours to stay every other trip.

One bedroom at BLT twice so far.

We are staying there again next trip after our five night stay at the Fort.

As the kids get older, we may be able to get away with studios and in that case we will be able to go more often.

Kenneth's been a member since about 1996, I think. When he got a divorce, he had to get his own DVC and bought in at Beach Club. Since then, he's bought another contract at Bay Lake Tower. Owning DVC makes it more affordable for us to head down several times a year, and stay in pretty nice accommodations (and getting discounts on annual passes - we just bought the premium annual pass for $484). We used points at the Fort last year, but couldn't get a site using points, for next week. Using points at the Fort may not have been the best way to use them, but we had plenty of points to use. We're very happy with our DVC. You just have to make sure that you think it's a good fit for your family.

• 1 year later...

So how much does a resale DVC cost for SSR with around 200 points? And how do you go about buying them?

If you are on FB, this company does resales. He also does rentals (we have used him a few times for rentals). He is regularly posting different contracts for sale. I can't get it to link but look up " Buy and Sell DVC" on FB the logo is a boat

When we bought ours we went through The Timeshare Store, DVC-resales.com. I just looked at their current listings and they've got Saratoga Springs ranging anywhere from $80 per point to $90 per point. The range is due to whether you're buying a stripped contract (current points already used), or loaded (likely banked points in there with current).

As far as buying goes you let them know you're interested in a specific contract and just wait for them to get back to you with the owners acceptance then you pass papers, you just fax everything back and forth.

If you are interested in something specific you can call them, tell them exactly what you're looking for and they'll call you when a contract like that comes up, before they put it on their current listings. That's why you don't often see very small contracts on there, people snatch them up quickly.