would it work for us?

Here is how we'd use it for the first five years, and probably very similar for the rest of the term because it's how we travel.

Most of the time we stay in the campground. But there are times for special weekends (Halloween, Food/Wine, Flower/Garden, Star Wars) that we like to make a flying trip down on Thursday and check out on Sunday. Sometimes the camper wouldn't follow us. Sometimes we'd hop in the Yukon and take turns driving in one big day haul (14 hrs). Sometimes we'd fly.

So points for those weekends. Usually once a year.

We also want to take cruises. It looks like we are looking at two in the next five years. An Alaskan cruise and a Disney Bahama cruise. I was looking at another line for Alaska simply because it's cheaper but I do like the way Disney does plan for families. That appeals to me.

For the last four years we've been planning on taking our Saint Patrick's baby to her "home land" for her sweet 16th. I looked today and the DVC does list the Emerald Isle something or other and Stonehenge. That is one place in England I'd like to visit while we're there. So we can definitely use the points where we are likely to escape to overseas. A mediterranean cruise is on my bucket list and I know Disney cruises out of that area.

It mentioned some very major cities in the US. We're big Cirque du Soleil fans. Vegas is on our travel list every three or four years for a weekend to capture a new cirque show. (Save your money for Zarkana btw, bomb! but oh la la Beatles LOVE!)

So we'd really end up using some of our points only for one or two weekends per Disney year. But we could bank and borrow for cruises.

the question is: are the annual dues going to offset our savings?

I'm spending the next few days adding up what we'd conceivably spend for our next ten years. Add $1000 per year, and compare that to the DVC. Since we usually do plot our vacations 3-4 years in advance, it wouldn't be too hard. Every three years we spend one year the whole year, all 25 plus five personal days of vacation leave in the MK. That's the year we invest in an AP. There is a $150 savings per AP so that answers how we could justify that year's fees.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if what you're looking at would make sense cost wise for you. The things you are mentioning, using DVC for long weekend trips and cruises, use a high value of points. I've never used points for a Disney cruise but from what I've read it's not the most economical way to use them.

I also have never used our points for any non-DVC resorts, so can't really help you on that one. It seems the majority of people who buy DVC do it for the Disney resorts, not the others available.

I suggest trying mouseowners.com as it is devoted entirely to DVC and you would get a broader response from members who have used their points for some of the things you have mentioned.

I agree with dvccamper. The cruise uses about 280 points pp, for the first 2 passengers, for a 7 night cruise. We do use our points for the fort and for the dvc resorts. It all depends on how often you use your membership. We generally go twice a year.

I agree with dvccamper. The cruise uses about 280 points pp, for the first 2 passengers, for a 7 night cruise. We do use our points for the fort and for the dvc resorts. It all depends on how often you use your membership. We generally go twice a year.

Welcome, and I see you are from the Jersey Shore so wander over to the Gettysburg thread in the Grand Gathering section and think about joining us, oh and also stop by the intoduce yourself thread and keep certain people happy( you know whou you are).

• 6 months later...

We are DVC members and have used our points for the cruise, Sunday to Thursday for 3 people in September we onlly used 198 points we have 200 a year.  We only had topay the $95.00 transfer fee, we came back  to the fort on Thursday and stayed until Sunday.  We were ableto leave our camper in the parking lot and take the DCL magical express to the portboth ways, saved gas, no hassle with our luggage, didn't have to pay to park at the port.  We have tried using our points to stay at the campground,but none of the spots were available.  We do mainly use our points for DVC resorts, Our home resort is Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, We have stayed at AKL,WLV, SS, with bookings at OKW for March 2014.  We have been members since 2008 our only regrat was we did not do it sooner.  Welive in Florida so alot of the DVC perks we already get being Florida residence.

I have used points to stay at AKL before it became a DVC.  Definitely missed some of the things that I am used to DVC (Free Laundry being the most important).  When I originally bought into DVC, I calculated that in 3 cruises it would pay for itself, that included the maintenance fees.  However, after staying at the Deluxe Resorts and doing even more math, it turns out that it is cheaper to rent out your points and then pay cash for the cruise.  I have not done that either because I never have enough points to rent out.

Shardi I also never have used it outside of DVC other then AKL.  For what you are trying to do, you have to remember there is the $95.00 transfer for any transaction that is not at a DVC resort.  Also to transfer to some of the places you are talking about require a full week transfer, a lot of them are not daily point values since most of the other timeshares are done by the week, not like DVC.

It may work for you, but I am thinking it would be better to rent points from people for some of your stays.  Friday and Saturday also use more points than the other days.

We also have tried to use our points for a campsite but with no luck( but still trying), some say to rent the points and pay cash for the site but at the rate of getting say $10 a point it almost works out the same and to me less hassles then the renting route. We have used Dave's to rent our points and he has been great to work with. Many say it's not worth using your points at the Fort but I feel as long as we are happy that's all that matters.

Regardless of how they are used, I have yet to be able to fudge the math so DVC makes any economic sense except to Disney.