It's official the new Avatar land is coming!

I caught most of the movie on tv the other day for the first time. I still don't get how it was as big a hit as it was. I did some reading online and there are a lot of theories but most seemed to be about how the effects and 3d were the main reasons for all the attention, that and they said there wasn't much movie theater competition at the time. Based on that how does Disney think it's a good idea for a park? Avatar is not Star Wars or Harry Potter.

I am glad to hear that Animal Kingdom is getting some attention though, especially nighttime additions. We've been there after hours for the Expedition Everest Challenge and it was really fun at night.

WBI

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually there was a vote and it passed by one vote. Where were you when we needed you? It's all your fault.

#Pandora at night Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Don't forget these....  

Looks cool. But I still haven't seen the movie so it doesn't wow me at all. I would be more excited for National Treasure Land. (which could have been worked into the America pavilion at Epcot)

That is a great idea. I also, haven't seen avatar. However, I've seen National Treasure many times

I'm slightly more interested now that before. Mainly at the night time stuff, still don't get a hoot about Avatarland and have no plans on ever watching the movie.

Agreed about looking forward to nighttime stuff at AK.

I did finally see the movie on TV a few weeks ago. 

It was nice to look at.  Didn't knock my socks off.

If I ever go, I will just pretend it is Endor.  At least then I'll be slightly interested, although a bit confused as to why the Ewoks are blue. 

:rofl2:

This is a big loser. It's Disney's Obamacare. A big mistake when the rights were purchased by some moron who should have been fired, and now they are trying desperately to get some money out of it somehow and recoup some of the loss. Spinning it to be a big deal. Trying to compete with Harry Potterville at Universal. Sorry, Disney, but you blew it when you didn't get that franchise. The movie was no Star Wars and sure doesn't warrant it's own land. Can't wait for the release of merchandise 2 years before it opens. I would rather see Disney invest money in repairing current attractions. Fix the Yeti, repair Space Mountain (it is fallling apart), repair COP or tear it down so I won't get stuck on it again, put some deodorizer in the monorails, boot Starbuck's ass out and brew your own damn coffee (it's not that hard), get rid of the crane at the castle, finish an area before you start another one, bring back the swamp trail, stop selling your property off to put up ugly hotels and private homes you won't even let me drive by, close down that stinky, noisy race track in the parking lot, bring back PI and the Adventurers Club, tell the CM's to shave those freaking beards off, bring back some classics on the Disney Channel so it's worth watching again and maybe kids will know who the hell Alice is, and while you're at it release song of the South. I mean, how stupid is it to have a whole attraction devoted to a movie most of the guests have never seen? Oh, wait, that is exactly what you are going to do with Avatarville. Again. Crap. Give me a job there.

This is a big loser. It's Disney's Obamacare. A big mistake when the rights were purchased by some moron who should have been fired, and now they are trying desperately to get some money out of it somehow and recoup some of the loss. Spinning it to be a big deal. Trying to compete with Harry Potterville at Universal. Sorry, Disney, but you blew it when you didn't get that franchise. The movie was no Star Wars and sure doesn't warrant it's own land. Can't wait for the release of merchandise 2 years before it opens. I would rather see Disney invest money in repairing current attractions. Fix the Yeti, repair Space Mountain (it is fallling apart), repair COP or tear it down so I won't get stuck on it again, put some deodorizer in the monorails, boot Starbuck's ass out and brew your own damn coffee (it's not that hard), get rid of the crane at the castle, finish an area before you start another one, bring back the swamp trail, stop selling your property off to put up ugly hotels and private homes you won't even let me drive by, close down that stinky, noisy race track in the parking lot, bring back PI and the Adventurers Club, tell the CM's to shave those freaking beards off, bring back some classics on the Disney Channel so it's worth watching again and maybe kids will know who the hell Alice is, and while you're at it release song of the South. I mean, how stupid is it to have a whole attraction devoted to a movie most of the guests have never seen? Oh, wait, that is exactly what you are going to do with Avatarville. Again. Crap. Give me a job there.

Epic post

What a great post!

Did anyone catch the response made to one of the comments that was posted on the blog asking the big question: When?

The response says early 2017.

Here we go again.

This will be just like New Fantasyland.

How long have they been building it, and it's still not done?

This is the new M.O. at Disney- make a big announcement.  Show some flashy artwork, and then drag it all out for as long as possible, so you can point to it and distract guests' attention from the fact that nothing else new is being added to the parks.

Why should it take them 3+ years to get this done? 

Because they want it to take 3+ years, that's why.

TCD

From the Disney Parks Blog...

Over the weekend, Tom Staggs wowed the crowd at the first-ever D23 Expo in Japan with an early glimpse of what’s planned for AVATAR at Disney’s Animal Kingdom park. He shared some breathtaking concept renderings of floating mountains, bioluminescent plants and other awe-inspiring experiences guests will encounter in the mythical world of Pandora.

Also at the D23 Expo Japan, Tom shared video of filmmaker James Cameron and Walt Disney Imagineer Joe Rohde highlighting the creative work already underway on the project. Joe said when the AVATAR-inspired land is completed, it’ll be a transformational experience that you’ll remember for the rest of your life. Today, we wanted to share the entire video with Disney Parks Blog readers.

http://youtu.be/j3fkuaQNGHI

DAA003925-100x100.jpg
DAA003926-100x100.jpg
DAA003927-100x100.jpg
DAA003928-100x100.jpg
DAA003924-100x100.jpg

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/

What a great post!

Did anyone catch the response made to one of the comments that was posted on the blog asking the big question: When?

The response says early 2017.

Here we go again.

This will be just like New Fantasyland.

How long have they been building it, and it's still not done?

This is the new M.O. at Disney- make a big announcement.  Show some flashy artwork, and then drag it all out for as long as possible, so you can point to it and distract guests' attention from the fact that nothing else new is being added to the parks.

Why should it take them 3+ years to get this done? 

Because they want it to take 3+ years, that's why.

TCD

Avatar 2 has a projected release date of December 2016.  It makes sense they want to coordinate them.  But it also makes sense, as you pointed out, that they want to build buzz now to drag out the anticipation.  It worked marvelously for them with the New Adventures of Old Fantasyland.

The night stuff DOES sound cool. I'll give them that.

we love nighttime at the parks the best, so adding anything along those lines sounds good to me

I really don't want to spend a lot of time reading about something they plan to open three years from now, but is the nighttime stuff consistent with what the Disney Hipsters posted which was discussed in this thread? :  http://www.fortfiends.net/forum/topic/10610-nighttime-show-rivers-of-light-coming-to-animal-kingdom-2014/

If so, then I must apologize to the hipsters for doubting them.

TCD