I have been looking around the net and different types of haulers that supposedly do not count as typical trailer. Any one hauling theirs on the back of a 5th wheel? I see there are states that don't allow towing two things at once. I have a slide out platform on the back of my 5er already but only rated for 200lbs. I haul bikes, grills, etc. Wondering if that platform could be reinforced and add the swivel wheels.

Thanks,

Shawn

I have wasted hours and hours researching rv.net, bought a swivelwheel I never installed and still never resolved it. No matter what anybody says it's illiegal. I just talked to an FHP officer a few weeks ago. The money to properly install a hitch to pull a trailer and a camera to see the cart you will be better off renting. If you don't get caught by LEO but you were to wreck your insurance would possibly ne off the hook if it's your fault. Even if you install a swivel wheel it adds a ton of swing length behind the axle and you might put it in another lane and get hit. All I can say is they make toy haulers for a reason.

I saw the biggest mess parked in overflow yesterday…..big rig towing a Dodge heavy duty pickup with a 6 seater GC dangling off the back of the pickup.  All I could think was that I was glad we weren't behind them on the road!  The GC didn't fit in the bed of the pickup and was at an angle.  It didn't look very safe at all.

If I have to head north anytime around spring break time, I purposely avoid I75 from Tampa north.  You would not believe the variety of things I see people towing.  Anything from minvans towing travel trailers to double tows.  And most of the drivers look so old that it's a wonder they got whatever it is they are towing hitched up without having a heart attack.  If they set up an inspection station and stopped people from towing unsafe loads, I would bet more than 50% of the drivers would be stopped.

TCD

I can't believe the number of people who pull anything they can manage to hook up, regardless of safety. I try to stay out of the way.

If I have to head north anytime around spring break time, I purposely avoid I75 from Tampa north.  You would not believe the variety of things I see people towing.  Anything from minvans towing travel trailers to double tows.  And most of the drivers look so old that it's a wonder they got whatever it is they are towing hitched up without having a heart attack.  If they set up an inspection station and stopped people from towing unsafe loads, I would bet more than 50% of the drivers would be stopped.

TCD

When I worked at the RV dealership we had an older gentleman drop off a huge 5th wheel for service. It took him almost an hour to disconnect from it in the parking lot and drive away. He was moving so slow I can't imagine how he could handle an emergency/panic maneuver in heavy traffic.

When I worked at the RV dealership we had an older gentleman drop off a huge 5th wheel for service. It took him almost an hour to disconnect from it in the parking lot and drive away. He was moving so slow I can't imagine how he could handle an emergency/panic maneuver in heavy traffic.

That's why I take 2 days to hook up my trailer.

Hope that includes packing and not just dropping it on the ball :-)

Hell, it takes me a day and a half just to get the ball lined up with the hitch right.

I have been looking around the net and different types of haulers that supposedly do not count as typical trailer. Any one hauling theirs on the back of a 5th wheel? I see there are states that don't allow towing two things at once. I have a slide out platform on the back of my 5er already but only rated for 200lbs. I haul bikes, grills, etc. Wondering if that platform could be reinforced and add the swivel wheels.

Thanks,

Shawn

I bought a swivel wheel. We welded 4x3 rectangle iron between the frame on the back of our 5er. Cut holes in the 4x3 and welded dual receivers in it. Then installed the swivel wheel dual hitch and hooked up the swivel wheel. Loaded up the golf cart and then the real problem started. Our 5er did not have enough pin weight to hold all the extra weight on the back of the 5er. So it made the camper sway. We added 500lbs of weight to the front of the camper hoping it would work. We made one trip with it to the Fort 2000 mile round

trip. When we got back we sold the 5er and bought a toy hauler. Later Stacktester bought my swivel wheel from me and he already told you what he thinks. If I was ever to try this again I would go with the Idaho Tote but they are not cheap. Best of luck with what ever you do. I did get pulled over by a cop with it once. He wanted to know where I bought it because he had the same problem. Other then that every state trooper from Texas to Florida passed me and there was never a problem. This all took place at the end of 07.

When I bought a golf cart I had planned to triple tow. In Texas it's legal and it would not put near as much weight on the back of my old 5er as the swivel wheel did. Then I found out about Florida's no triple tow law that's when I bought the swivel wheel. The funny thing is I can't tell you how many times I have seen triple tow's pull into the Fort.