WBI's Fort Wilderness Log Bench

Hey everybody I'm back!

Well I haven't really been gone but I haven't posted in a long time.  A lot has happened since I posted last, the biggest being that we moved back to Louisiana.  We also bought our first house, and I was lucky enough that it came with a very nice shop! 

Which brings me to the title of this post, I have finally tried to build a log bench, you know one of these:

DSC03714.jpg

I took this picture back in 2010 and I've wanted to build one ever since.

Well here's my progress so far:

IMAG1648.jpg

IMAG1654.jpg

IMAG1653.jpg

IMAG1658.jpg

After tons of sanding, and even more sanding, I put a coat of polyurethane on it:

IMAG1662.jpg

IMAG1661.jpg

IMAG1660.jpg

IMAG1659.jpg

IMAG1663.jpg

IMAG1664.jpg

Now I'm waiting for everything to dry so I can set the log down on the base, when I do I'll post another picture.

I learned a lot from this expereince so if you have any questions just let me know.

A few things:

I used pressure treated wood for the base.

The log came from my parents, they had a tree that had gotten bugs or something and fell on the fence so I sawed it up.

I had a hard time sawing it down, I ended up buying an electric planner to get the seat smooth and even.

I made another type of log bench but its at my parents, I'll have to take a picture next time out there, its much more rustic looking.

All in all the biggest lesson I learned was I would probablly go buy a log from a sawmill next time, gettting the log in decent shape was a lot of work that could have been avoided.

Ok that's all for now, glad to be back!

WBI

Thanks everyone!

I'm guessing a big band saw was used for their logs and if I build another I'll get a log from a sawmill that was cut already.

Hey DIT I heard about the search party, I'll try to post more but the new job is strict about the internet so I'm restricted to using my phone for daytime posts.

WBI

Thank you!

It's very heavy, but I think two people could handle it. I moved it around solo in two pieces. The base isn't bad so I can handle it but the log I stood up on a dolly and wheeled it to the base then lowered it into place. I actually haven't attached the log to the base and I probably won't just so I can move it easier.

I should also mention I had the log smash my foot once wasn't horrible but bruised it pretty good, lol.

WBI