• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK lets all take a deep breath.  RVing is not dangerous.  If you go to Yellowstone you are more likely to get frightened by the wildlife.  While I do carry I also like to think that caution is the bet

Smith and Wesson offers superb protection. Paired with my two large dogs, I feel quite secure.

I thought I was being paranoid.

It'll be me, DW, and DD(8)

What happened Kelly?

Should we avoid the rest areas, truck stops, Walmart, etc?

We had some homeless people come up in broad daylight asking for a beer, and they wouldn't leave. I was changing Z's diaper in our trailer. They started circling around Jason until he let them see his gun. They saw it and left.

I never leave home without it and after our little problem a couple of years ago it will always be in the MH.It is always a good idea to know what states honor your permit. Even in states that don't at least I can protect my family until the cops get there and arrest me for having it. Just imagine being dumped into this parking lot on the south side of Atalnta on a Saturday evening with a MH that won't run. Then being told by the tow truck driver see you Monday morning and he leaves.

CIMG1489.jpg

We had a disturbance in the first NC rest area on Route 95 northbound a couple of years ago when some guy was trying to get us to open the door at about 3 am. As far as I am concerned the RV is my residence and we are now packing. We did not have any firearm that time but my husband got up and loudly asked me where the big butcher knife was. Disturbance over. We are going to try to avoid staying in rest areas from now on.

I firmly believe that a valid permit in your home state should be honored nationwide. In 27 years of law enforcement, there was only one time that I arrested anyone with an out-of-state permit for carrying, and that was because he was using a .50 caliber desert eagle to make his way through traffic in a construction backlog! Apparently things were not moving fast enough for him...

The thought process for the guys that worked for me...as long as you didn't commit another firearms related crime, and you had a valid permit from SOMEWHERE, you were OK. Hell...don't do anything stupid, and I'll never know you're driving through PA with a gun. Have a nice day!

My current status as a recently retired LEO allows me to fall under the nationwide carry law, and I take full advantage. I don't carry where it's not permitted (like in the parks), but everywhere else is fair game. My personal opinion is if you have a permit and carry at home, why would you not want to be able to defend yourself in your "travelling home"?

Once again...personal opinion. Do not misinterpret as legal advice.

I'm shocked with the stories too!

When you think about it someone in an RV would look like an easy / good target considered they are more than likely not familiar with their surroundings. Also everything they have of value is in that little box.

That being said we have never had a problem other than some shady looking characters when stopping for fuel late at night.

Oklahoma just passed the open carry law. Since I already have my concealed I can actually carry my weapon in the open. It still surprises me to see someone openly carrying.

You wouldn't like South America.. That was the only place I got nervous, they take "open arms" to a whole different level. No one flinches at the sound of gun fire in Bogota.

OK lets all take a deep breath.  RVing is not dangerous.  If you go to Yellowstone you are more likely to get frightened by the wildlife.  While I do carry I also like to think that caution is the better part of valor.  I do not stay in Walmarts or Truckstops or rest areas.  You can still have a spontanious and unplanned trip if you know what your general direction is by noon and quickly review your camping options over lunch and then call and make a reservation.  Oddly enough, the only time I ever had an incident at a campground was at Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone.  It was a muddy day and someone swiped my door mate while I was gone.  I walked around when I got back, found it in front of an elderly couples TT and Swiped it back.  I've always found the rest areas and the others to be to noisy for my dog and my wife to get a good nights sleep.  I've always found fellow campers (even the drunk ones) to be friendly and they always seem to be looking out for each other.  I like staying in places where I have something in common with my neighbors. To help you out before you make a reservation you should put rvparkreviews.com in your favorite places list so you can look a place up before you make a reservation. This will help you weed out the places that have train traffic at all hours of the night or other conditions you might not like.  Have a great trip.  I loved my trip to Yellowstone so much I stayed in the area a month and would love to go back.  If only it wasn't so fare from South Florida. 

Thanks DinDavie. That's good advice. I'll definitely be bringing the nine and the 380 for my DW. No rest areas, truck stops, etc.

And if I can't find a campground I guess there's nothing wrong with staying a night or two in a hotel room.

Thanks everybody.

If you have to stop at a hotel, make sure it has enough parking for your rig.

I almost messed up once. I was going to Atlanta for work, and had a chance to go on to the Fort for the weekend. I came "this" close to pulling the camper, but changed my mind and took the tent, just in case I couldn't continue onto the Fort, and waste the extra gas by pulling the camper.  It was a good thing too, cause my hotel in Atlanta did not have a parking lot, but a very small parking garage with low ceilings.

I've never had a problem while traveling, but times are changing.  We tend to travel in daylight and stop at well attended gas stations and shopping centers when necessary.  Never stayed overnight at a WalMart, Cracker Barrel, or Flying J, and would not feel safe getting out late at night at either of them...rest areas too.  Any are ok in the day time, but after dark, anythign could happen.  Caution travels with me.

What time frame are you going? We will be heading to Yellowstone sometime this summer. We will be in the truck camper and going without any reservations staying in rest areas and truck stops. The rest areas going west are not like the rest areas in the east. Texas has some very nice rest areas. 

I've never had a problem while traveling, but times are changing.  We tend to travel in daylight and stop at well attended gas stations and shopping centers when necessary.  Never stayed overnight at a WalMart, Cracker Barrel, or Flying J, and would not feel safe getting out late at night at either of them...rest areas too.  Any are ok in the day time, but after dark, anythign could happen.  Caution travels with me.

We are cautious too.  When we had the TT we never stopped overnight except at a hotel.  I could imagine someone stealing the truck and driving away with us following in the TT.

With the moho we feel safer at night.  We tend to leave home around 4am, get to our overnight stop at 2 or 3 pm, have an early dinner, and call it a night quickly.  David does have to take Kassie for a walk in the dark.  But otherwise we're locked up tight in the moho until about 4am the next morning when we pull out again.

On the way to the fort we overnight at the Flying J in St. Augustine, and on the way home we overnight at the Cracker Barrel in Orangeburg, SC.  We've never had a problem at either location and feel very safe.

The key to a good overnight at a Flying J is arriving early and parking in the RV section (which fills up quickly) rather than the truck section.

What time frame are you going? We will be heading to Yellowstone sometime this summer. We will be in the truck camper and going without any reservations staying in rest areas and truck stops. The rest areas going west are not like the rest areas in the east. Texas has some very nice rest areas.

End of July. My buddy is using it the first 2 weeks of july. We are using a it when they get back. I'm buying him 6 new tires in exchange for using his rv. It's a lot cheaper than renting one thru a rental company.