Hey guys, I have an idea. How about we start a list of undesirable sites? I know that any site at the Fort is better than most sites anywhere else, but we all want to get the most out of our vacations. The idea is to have a list of undesirable sites, with super-brief explanations of why they are undesirable, that we can have at the ready at check-in so we can quickly scan it and if we get a bad one ask for another right away. Obviously, the more concise the list the better, so please, only post sites with serious problems. To keep the thread easy to manage, please place all the needed info in the first line of the post in the form of:

617 - Privacy, Noise, Small

Then, in the post body you can elaborate on why you found in to be lacking in privacy (i.e. TCD kept stealing dogs off the grill, which is RIGHT by the footpath). A photo to illustrate the complaint, would, as they say, lend a thousand words to support your case.

And, only post site report posts in this thread, not comments about the idea or discussion about other's posts. If you want to refute someone else's report, say for 617, make a post with the title:

617 - Fine

And then defend why it is not all that bad. We'll send Lou or Devores around to adjudicate! Admittedly, the list will be based on highly subjective criteria, but I would suggest that the list of complaints would include:

• Privacy: the site is too close to footpaths, cart paths, streets or other public spaces, and/or is inadequately screened from them.
  • Noise: obvious, but examples might include pool noise, bus stops, HDDR announcements, etc. This should probably be explained in the body of the post since one man's noise is another man's ambiance.
  • Small: a cramped site with others on top of it.
  • Backing: very difficult to back into site, like an inside site on a left bend in the road, or obstacles that make it hard to get in.
  • Buggy: obvious
  • CS Walk: if the nearest comfort station is an absurd distance from the site

Certainly we can add to this list as needed, but again I think keeping things as concise as possible will make the list far more useful.

617 - Privacy, Noise, Small

So I'll kick it off with TCD's favorite site. The awning side of the site is ridiculously close to the footpath. The rear of the site is quite close to the footpath and road, and the bus stop is right across the street.

Noise, noise and more noise.

And no privacy.

And a lot of noise.

And hotdog thieves. Who are noisy.

It's also a good hike to the CS, but I didn't put that in the title because 400' is not an absurd distance, but it ain't nothing, so I mentioned it here in the notes.

110, really short and narrow, no privacy, right on the curve in the loop

barely big enough for a tent, but they have been known to "squeeze" a class "A" on it. Just like 617 no privacy since your awning directly faces the road and there is also a huge utility box to stare at while sitting under your awning.

401... Noisy, close to 2 roads, almost have to share the site entrance with neighbor site

This is the first site in the 400 loop. It's really not even on the loop. Lots of headlight traffic at night, real close to the next site, no privacy, too busy of an area

A lot of that is personal, for me anything in 600 or 700 is a nogo for me. (no comfort station) Most any site in 1900, way too narrow.

But to be on topic My personal pet peeve site:

1506 - 

Tree in weird spot, can't set up my stuff the way I like.

I agree with Carol that a lot of this is personal preference. I don't like site 1001. The reasons are : it's right on the main road, it's right by the bus stop and right by the comfort station. There was absolutely no privacy ! Now, that being said....by daughter in law loved it for all the reasons we hated it. To each their own...

329 - Privacy, Narrow

This site is right on the entrance to the 300 loop dog walk - which can be a plus but also a minus in terms of traffic and privacy, as there's not only guest traffic and a trash can primarily used for picking up after pooches close, but there's also traffic by Disney vehicles going in and out.  It's also pretty much wide open to the canal dog walk - again a plus and a minus as it's also a popular spot for people to hang out and fish.

There's also a tree located in a spot that made it impossible for us to put our awning out all the way when we stayed on this site.

We've never stayed in 913, but we've been across the street and most people had a very hard time backing in. It's right on the left hand side going around the corner. There is a garbage can and recycling bin right in the way and because of the layout of the other sites, there's not much maneuvering room.

That is great information PrincessNana.  Those are the kind of things we look at when picking sites at state parks, things that could interfere with backing in.  Thank you for remembering that.

I have noticed that no sites in the 3000 loop are showing up. Job well done, FWGuy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

We stayed in 1311 this past trip.  While it is on a "corner"  and has some privacy and yard space, the backing in was a nightmare!  90 degree angle on the left inside of the loop.  I can't imagine a big rig trying to maneuver, especially if the site across the way is occupied.

20131104_070938.jpg

• 2 weeks later...