To all my fellow fiends travelling down the East Coast to get to the Fort, what tips and tricks can you share?  Favorite places to overnight?  Exits for sights?  Restaurants?  Anything.

When we went we did one night at South of the Border.

This time around, I spotted a Hampton Inn in Santee, SC that claims to have hook-ups in their parking lot for RV's.  SO as of now I plan on hitting there for the overnight...

Please feel free to share with those of us not in the know...

I was seriously considering that one.  Is that your first stop coming out of Mass?  Or do you stop somewhere sooner?  I travel for work so we will likely just use hotel points for the Hampton, hit their pool, workout and hit it again in the morning without having to do much to the camper...

Going South We usually stop at exit 53 in South Carolina and stay at the new green acres rv park. Exit at 53 turn to the right and make next right it's about 1/4 mie to the enterance of the campground. The sites are pull thru and long enough that I dont have to unhook the toad.The campground is on par with south of the boarder. it's ok for the night but I wouldn't stay there for a week.

We leave cecilton MD at 8am and pull in there around 6pm. The next day it just 5 1/2 to 6 hours to disney world.

http://www.newgreenacres.com/

Going north we stop at south of the border.

when are you going? We check in at The Fort on the 6/16

Going South We usually stop at exit 53 in South Carolina and stay at the new green acres rv park. Exit at 53 turn to the right and make next right it's about 1/4 mie to the enterance of the campground. The sites are pull thru and long enough that I dont have to unhook the toad.The campground is on par with south of the boarder. it's ok for the night but I wouldn't stay there for a week.

We leave cecilton MD at 8am and pull in there around 6pm. The next day it just 5 1/2 to 6 hours to disney world.

http://www.newgreenacres.com/

Going north we stop at south of the border.

when are you going? We check in at The Fort on the 6/16

I grew up in Earleville....so I know that area all too well...:)

I was seriously considering that one.  Is that your first stop coming out of Mass?  Or do you stop somewhere sooner?  I travel for work so we will likely just use hotel points for the Hampton, hit their pool, workout and hit it again in the morning without having to do much to the camper...

No I wish it was though.  We usually stop in southern NJ the first night.  The second is always New Green Acres though.  

We stopped at a Hampton on our way home last year.  Many because it was a nightmare return trip.  Looking back I wish we had used the pool, but I was to darn tired.

No I wish it was though.  We usually stop in southern NJ the first night.  The second is always New Green Acres though.  

We stopped at a Hampton on our way home last year.  Many because it was a nightmare return trip.  Looking back I wish we had used the pool, but I was to darn tired.

Makes sense.  Mass to SC would be a haul in one shot...

My tip.

Used to be everyone would try to time their fuel stops so they could fill up once they got over the SC line. SC has always been famous for cheaper fuel and the FlyingJ, Wilco, Loves, etc. seemed to be competing for everyone's business with really good diesel prices.

Well no more. We've had to go to Columbia several times this year and its ridiculous how expensive the diesel is in SC. Gas is still pretty cheap but the diesel at the Dunn/Benson NC area has been almost a dime/gallon cheaper than SC. Not sure what's going on there.

The New Green Acres is the place to be. I know others have chimed in on this, but just wanted to give my endorsement for what it's worth.

We have used Green Acres, Bass Lake in Dillon, South of the Border, Lake Harmony Townsend Ga.( I think) and also Carolina Crossroads but I think the last one would be to close for you but sometime we take our time and do 2 stops on the way.

I used to deliver for UPS in Cecil County and was all over where you guys are from it's neat to hear you talk about the area, we live just north in Newark off of Pulaski Hwy, small world getting even smaller. We need to plan a meet sometime.

We have used Green Acres, Bass Lake in Dillon, South of the Border, Lake Harmony Townsend Ga.( I think) and also Carolina Crossroads but I think the last one would be to close for you but sometime we take our time and do 2 stops on the way.

I used to deliver for UPS in Cecil County and was all over where you guys are from it's neat to hear you talk about the area, we live just north in Newark off of Pulaski Hwy, small world getting even smaller. We need to plan a meet sometime.

I agree, a meet would be cool.  We seem to have lots of folks in MD, DE, VA, PA and NJ.  Would be a lot of fun...

If you want to do a little more travelling before stopping, I have used the Savannah South KOA before. Easy on and off 95, clean campground, and puts you within 6 hours of WDW.

We typically make 2 stops headed south from central Pa. DW isn't comfortable pulling the 5er (she can, she'd just rather not) so we "vacation" down and back. No rush. Our first stop is Fayetteville/ Wade KOA off exit 63 in NC. Second stop is Jacksonville North KOA, which is actually off exit 1 of I95 in GA. Both are very clean and easy off/on for I95. We get to both early afternoon. The girls use the pools, I just relax, walk the dog and stretch my legs after driving. Two stops takes a lot of the stress out of our travelling. 2 young daughters and a dog in the back seat can be fine, but it can also give you a headache if someone is having a bad day.

I also like the fact that our last drive is just from Jacksonville to the fort. A short day of driving and I can be sitting at the fort enjoying a cold one.

We are south of the most of you guys and just a mile or two west of you Barney, but when we head to the Fort, we like to break our trip into two days going down and usually dead head it home....  Our place to stop going down is at Exit 29 in Brunswick, GA.  The place is Coastal Georgia RV Resort.  All of their sites are paved, with the majority if them pull throughs.  Its easy off and easy back onto I-95.

Also one of my resources that I check is http://www.i95exitguide.com/index.php. I use it mostly to check for construction and lane closures, but it tells by state and exit number where the restaurants, fuel stops and campgrounds, as well as hotels are...

We are south of the most of you guys and just a mile or two west of you Barney, but when we head to the Fort, we like to break our trip into two days going down and usually dead head it home....  Our place to stop going down is at Exit 29 in Brunswick, GA.  The place is Coastal Georgia RV Resort.  All of their sites are paved, with the majority if them pull throughs.  Its easy off and easy back onto I-95.

Also one of my resources that I check is http://www.i95exitguide.com/index.php. I use it mostly to check for construction and lane closures, but it tells by state and exit number where the restaurants, fuel stops and campgrounds, as well as hotels are...

We do the same thing. Two days down, run it hard all the way home.

I was thinking about the KOA at exit 1 this year. But this place at exit 29 sounds nice.

Thanks for the link!!!

World just got smaller... we live in Bear!  I work in Cecil County.