Does anybody do this?

We'll be arriving in 2 weeks (Sunday 6/23), and plan to arrive around 11am.  I know this is a little earlier than the published check in time, would doing the online check-in and noting an 11am arrival time help my chances of a site being ready? 

Or should I just show up and check-in when I arrive?

Thanks,

--Paul

I never bother with on-line check in.

I'm not sure that it would have any effect on your site being ready earlier, and it really doesn't do much to speed up the check in process.  There is not a lane exclusively dedicated to on-line check ins at the check in area, so you may have to wait just as long.

On the other hand, on-line check in won't slow down the check in process, so you can give it a try if you want.

TCD

We've done online check-in the past 2 years.  Both times we got the site we'd requested and our check-in time was a whopping 5 minutes.  That said, we're usually checking in during a pretty quiet time in the fall. 2 years ago we got our site early on a Saturday morning (10-ish) and last year we arrived at about 7pm on a Friday.

I usually do online check-in, but do it about 2 days ahead of time. AFTER, I have faxed in my site request at 5 days out. I do it mainly to get the credit card on file through a computer instead of a real person seeing it.  The fewer folks that handle my card, the better. I then use the room charge, and my CC rarely leaves my wallet.

If you do online check-in, do you have to get in line at the entrance, or is there some way around that?

Last year DW went in the building to check-in while I waited in line.  When I got to the head of the line, I told the CM she was inside, and the CM told me to park by the island just inside the booth area.  Don't know if inside check-in helped or not. I had to wait on her to finish.

We always do on-line check in.  Does it make a difference?  I don't know but we have never been longer than about 10 minutes checking in.

We've generally had pretty good check-in luck, but thinking back I do think it's been a lot quicker since doing Online Check-in.

Just hard to say for sure because the last 2 years when we pulled in there was no one else in front of us so it was definitely not busy.

Oh, I just noticed, you are checking in on a Sunday...... Well, since that is usually a big check-out day and folks tend to dawdle on Sunday check-outs because they know not too many folks check-in on a Sunday, there are a LOT of sites for the site workers to clean and it's a long day for them.  So I'm guessing online check-in won't make a difference as to actually getting your site. Especially if the campground was full over the weekend.

If you do online check-in, do you have to get in line at the entrance, or is there some way around that?

Last year DW went in the building to check-in while I waited in line.  When I got to the head of the line, I told the CM she was inside, and the CM told me to park by the island just inside the booth area.  Don't know if inside check-in helped or not. I had to wait on her to finish.

The check-in packets for those who have checked in on-line for campsites are kept at one of the windows in the little building in the middle of the check-in lanes.

If you go inside the main Reception Outpost building to check in to a campsite, a CM will have to run outside to get your packet.

In the case of on-line check in for a campsite, going inside to check in would not help the process- it would probably slow it down.

TCD

I have done both and On-Line check in is quicker once you get to the actual booth where you check in but only because  they have everything ready when you pull up...but only if you do not make any changes.  

I also fax my site request in 5 days earlier and then do online check in 1 or 2 days before and have gotten my 1 site pick 3 out of 5 times.

The on line check in line is not dedicated as said by TCD so the wait in line may not be any faster. Just the actual check in itself.

I never use on line check in and my site is always ready when I check in. I walk to the settlement, get my keys, and walk back. Whole process takes 15 mins.

But seriously,

Like Carol mentioned, Sunday is a bad day if you're looking for an early arrival. I see it at the end of every weekend. The mass exodus. But, people linger. That 11 checkout becomes 1230, 100. Ive seen people asked to leave at 3 before because the just hang around. This then pushes the site cleaning back, which then pushes your getting into the site back. On line check in may get you your packet quicker, but don't bank on it helping you get into a site quicker. Especially if your booked in a popular loop/category.  

Yep, I've also seen where the site cleaners don't inform the front desk that sites are ready until they are done with a segment of sites. So if the site you are assigned was on the to be cleaned list that day, and even if it's one of the first ones done, the front desk isn't informed until the cleaner gets to the end of some list, and if the list is long, it could be awhile, even though it's been ready for hours.

Seriously?  I thought you made a typo.  I also was wondering about that walk from the 400 loop. The walk to the Settlement is a lot better.

TCD

I figured some would think I made a mistake. There is never a line back there and we can swing by for a GAG after getting our keys. Always have to have a GAG on the first day.  

We've done it both ways but lately I prefer to walk inside for check-in. If we get there early and it's not ready, or we don't like the site they've assigned us, I figure we'll end up in the overflow lot anyway so might as well start there. Plus, it doesn't tie anyone behind us up if we use the restroom before checking in then.

We just tell the guard at the gate we're checking in but want to go to the overflow lot first. Haven't had a problem yet. DH and I had a debate about this method so we made note of the rvs in line outside waiting to check in last July when we got there. Sure enough, I made it thru the process and back outside and there were still two families ahead of where we'd have been if we'd waited in line outside with the kids, me, and dogs whining the whole time for a potty break. It may not be faster every time I suppose but the dogs and I appreciate it a lot more...

Well, we arrived at 11:10 this morning... Site was ready when we checked in, and we were through the check-in gate faster than the other lines... Not sure if online check-in helped that or we were just lucky...

In site 318 for 9 nights!

Btw, the sites app says backin for 318 is "very hard"... Might want to update that to "nearly impossible". Took a few attempts to get our 33' tt in, other cars just off the road didn't make it easier... Almost gave up and headed back for another, but just got in on the last try...

--Paul

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Well, we arrived at 11:10 this morning... Site was ready when we checked in, and we were through the check-in gate faster than the other lines... Not sure if online check-in helped that or we were just lucky... In site 318 for 9 nights!

Have a FIENDISHLY FABULOUS time.