but not so great to walk out of there with our bank account $1000 lighter - and that was with only a couple of needed vaccines!

For 3 larger dogs, that's not bad.

Vet bills are a killer with our two, and they are healthy.

Silver lining.

Dental cleanings run me about $120 dollars

That's a great price.

We pay at least 3 times, but Buddy had major surgery early in his life, and as result, has required extra visits to the Vet to monitor his status, and of course additional food supplements and special food for the rest of his long life.

This book was written by our veterinarian. Lots of anecdotes, some advice. An easy read since it is snippets of stories so you can read a few pages, put it down and come back later.

http://www.amazon.com/True-Confessions-Veterinarian-Unconditional-Story/dp/0944435548

We are lucky right now. We have a fantastic vet. We also don't schedule all their appointments at the same time. Another plus his we have a 3 year rabies vaccine and 3 year license program here. That means not all of them fall into the same vaccination period. and I never have more than two scheduled in the same year.

Dental cleanings run me about $120 dollars so that gets done as needed not yearly. I take good care of their teeth at home so so far I have been pretty lucky in that area. 

Doodle, your chihuahuas are adorable!  I'm surprised, though.  None of them looks like the one I grew up with.  Wish I had a pic of him.

We made the mistake last year of scheduling the annual exams for all 3 dogs at the same time - right before vacation.  :bugeyes:

Sure it was great to get it all out of the way in one day, but not so great to walk out of there with our bank account $1000 lighter - and that was with only a couple of needed vaccines!

That's a lot of money.  Our annual exams are around $150 with all needed vaccines.

Squirrel hunting around the lake in downtown Celebration.

Sq_zpsaf0ba81b.jpg

I see the terrier in Buddy!  I could provide you with thousands of shots of Kassie in the same pose.

The vet bills for the last 2 years of our Daisy's life were something else, but I hope that the extra care made her last months with us more comfortable.  Now that we just have our little Foofy, who's only 4 years old, we are back to manageable expenses.  She doesn't eat much, and thankfully she has only needed her preventive care to this point.  And she's stinkin cute.  This is Foofy on the right....and Daisy on the left. 

P1020792.JPG

I'm not sure the discount is worth taking 2 cats that don't care for each other at the same time.

Not really a pet, but speaking of cats going to the Vet, I would be remiss if I didn't post a photo of my "Little Mama" from another thread.

She's a feral cat that I captured and took to the Vet to be spayed, but had to release. She's been showing up every morning like clockwork for about four years.

Look at that face, how could you not take care of her?

She has a very good life. She has fresh food and water all day long and into the night. She can hang out at the front door of a nice house. Add that whenever I see her, which was while I was typing this, she gets kitty treats, and a little play time, if she's in the mood.

19-1_zps7fb81e32.jpg

Well since this is the pet "bragging" thread after all...

Here is Brady 3 years ago at his very first agility trial, at the ripe old age of 8.  We did the trial just for fun, and mostly to see if my formerly-over-the-top-lived-under-the-coffee-table-for-2-years reactive dog could put all the training we did to get him past all that stuff into use. 

He had one ok run where he lost his marbles a couple of times but came back to me every time, and one spectacular run where he had a fantastic start line stay, ran perfectly clean and within time (earned himself a Q ribbon for that), and actually took 2nd place in his class.

But the very best part of all is the happy I-am-having-fun-and-am-not-stressed look on his face.  The ribbons were just gravy. 

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? :heartsmiley:

3876014022_1bb422c7a2_z.jpg?zz=1

3876014616_fa23702931_z.jpg?zz=1

3876014954_506ec0175e_z.jpg?zz=1

Our (while I was still living with my parents) past 5 cats were all strays. First little kitty big foot showed up.

LittleKitty.jpg

Poor think was a tiny kitten (maybe 6 months old?) and had these huge feet (5 toes on each front paw and 6 on each back) and had frostbite on her ears. I worked a very, very long time getting her to trust us. Finally she did and we got her to the vet and taken care of and fixed. She still wasn't thrilled about coming inside so dad made her a outside cat house an insulated it and the whole 9 yards. She's awesome and loves Adam.

Next showed up Momma Kitty. She came around for about a week by herself. Then one day she showed up with her 3 kittens.... So it was momma, patches, shyanne and scaredy kitty. Sadly we found Scaredy Kitty dead in the yard (my dad thinks the hawk got him). But off went Momma, Patches and Shyanne to the vet. Everyone is fixed. Well, little did we know we weren't quick enough getting momma to trust us and she was going nuts in the house as we tried to let her recoup from surgery. We let her outside and about 45 mins later guess what? Momma showed up with another dang kitten, but this was from a different litter. So now there is Baby kitty, and as quick as we thought we were getting Baby kitty to the vet she was already pregnant :(

Currently all that is left is Little Kitty Big Foot (about 13), Momma Kitty (11ish) and Baby Kitty (10ish). Thankfully no more cats have shown up because my wallet can't handle any more animal population control surgeries!

Well since this is the pet "bragging" thread after all...

Here is Brady 3 years ago at his very first agility trial, at the ripe old age of 8.  We did the trial just for fun, and mostly to see if my formerly-over-the-top-lived-under-the-coffee-table-for-2-years reactive dog could put all the training we did to get him past all that stuff into use. 

He had one ok run where he lost his marbles a couple of times but came back to me every time, and one spectacular run where he had a fantastic start line stay, ran perfectly clean and within time (earned himself a Q ribbon for that), and actually took 2nd place in his class.

But the very best part of all is the happy I-am-having-fun-and-am-not-stressed look on his face.  The ribbons were just gravy. 

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? :heartsmiley:

3876014022_1bb422c7a2_z.jpg?zz=1

3876014616_fa23702931_z.jpg?zz=1

3876014954_506ec0175e_z.jpg?zz=1

I looooves me some Brady!!  Go Boy GO!!!

This is my daughter's cat, Cleo. 

79d29b87-05a4-48e6-a8d2-8e60cafb11fc.jpg

This is Cleo playing dead kitty. It is the funniest thing ever. She will only do it for my daughter. She picks her and says dead kitty and there she goes.

6e0bf213-369c-451c-9813-338afec8080b.jpg

Cleo also thinks she is a chihuahua but that is a story for another day. :rofl2:

This is Cleo playing dead kitty. It is the funniest thing ever. She will only do it for my daughter. She picks her and says dead kitty and there she goes.

6e0bf213-369c-451c-9813-338afec8080b.jpg

Cleo also thinks she is a chihuahua but that is a story for another day. :rofl2:

that is the funniest cat thing i think i have seen...