Grand Floridian Silver Anniversary

On July 1st, the Grand Floridian will be celebrating its 25th anniversary which reminds me of my time there. I was a Front Office CM when it celebrated its 10th anniversary. I started out as a Bell Captain, then after a few months was offered a Concierge position.

Below are a couple of the mementos from the 10 year celebration.

What appears to be a CM nametag is actually a door name plate, it's quite large. The other item is the 10 year anniversary pin.

gf2_zps6e7e5aea.jpg

gf1_zps47015867.jpg

Some of the CMs that worked at the GF when I did are still there. Here are two of them.

Below is Richard, one of the current door greeters. He was a greeter 15 years ago. You'll notice that he's wearing a Legacy name tag, which is awarded to special CMs. If you could make out where he's from on his tag, it would read NH, my, and MOs home state.

Other than being CMs at the GF, Richard and I have a connection of sorts. I've told this story before, so if you've heard it, nothing to read here.

Back in the day, the Cadillac out front was used to chauffeur newlyweds to their reception and Richard was the chauffeur.

On this particular day, they couldn't find him to drive the Caddy. The managers were panicking, what are we going to do. We need to find a replacement, but the replacement had to fit into the special greeters costume, which was made to fit Richard, and only Richard.

They searched the resort high and low for someone that was Richards size, and guess who that was, yup, me.

In a frantic mood, as the newlywed couple was going to be out front in 15 minutes, the manager asked me, will you take the Caddy and bring the newlyweds to the Boardwalk convention center for their reception? I said sure, and rushed up to change costumes, including into the straw hat. I came down and was given a quick 5 minute driving lesson around the GF grounds. I pull up to the GF's Porte Cochere and whisk the happy couple away. They had no clue what it took to be able to give them that ride.

The Cadillac was very scary to drive. I white knuckled all the way over and back.

It's a great memory and my co-workers had a great time laughing and  seeing me in the greeters costume. Unfortunately, no photos

gf4_zps023b87ca.jpg

Caddy_zpsc9ad47e9.jpg

Another CM that is still there is Ollie. He's the portly gentleman in the greeters costume and straw hat. He's a door greeter now, but was a Bell Cap, like me, when I was there. He is one of the nicest people I have ever met. He was very helpful when I started at the GF. I try to stop by to say hi.

gf3_zps38e0daeb.jpg

I realize that to most of you the GF has the reputation for being the resort where snobby rich people stay, but as a place to work, it was a lot of fun and I made lots of CM friends.

But just like the times before, it did come to an end, as once again after a 9 month hiatus, I returned to the real world.

However, I might just make a return performance as a GF CM if I decide that I need a change.

So, did anyone ever figure out where Richard was that day?

It was so long ago that I can't remember if we ever found out where old Richard was.

My money is on Lou tied him up and shoved him in a closet because he wanted to wear the straw hat......

I'm more of a baseball cap kinda guy and would have prefered not to wear the straw hat, but as it was part of the costume, I had no choice.

My money is on Lou tied him up and shoved him in a closet because he wanted to wear the straw hat......

:rofl2:

I actually stayed at the GF with my parents and brother the year it opened.

It was a crazy trip... limo company got lost and we missed our flight... got strep throat and missed 2 park days holed up in the room... bought an "invisible dog" at MK, named it "Spotless" and took it everywhere just to embarrass the bejinkies out of my little brother (he was 13 at the time)... and it was 28 degrees the day we left to come home.

Still the GF was gorgeous and we really enjoyed it. 

Great stuff Lou - thanks for sharing!

When Jen and I were married in 1992, we took my dad's advice.  He said that the honeymoon would be the last time in our lives that no one would bother us or expect anything from us, and that we should take the longest honeymoon we could afford to take.  We went for 28 days and drove from Pennsylvania to Florida with 7 days of it at Disney.   I booked the Disney Inn, now Shades of Green as it was the one of two resorts I had never stayed at before. ( I also had a golf addiction at that time)   We arrived to find the lobby deserted and the employees apologizing that they had made a mistake and overbooked.  Yup we had $25.00 knocked off the nightly price and were sent to the Grand Floridian.  We had a castle view with champagne and a basket from the manager.  It was an incredible week.   And yes the Grand Floridian was the other hotel where I never stayed.