But the bus was so crammed that the driver couldn't even pick up anyone at the last two stops. 

I love when that happens, "pac-m-n" like sardines. I will miss doing that.

But it's not that uncommon for that happen on a route with so many stops, depending on time of year and time of the day.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must give credit where it is due.   The TCD twins and I found ourselves in WDW last Saturday.  I was getting new tires for one of the girls' cars, and we decided to patronize the subcontractor who o

MouseSteps posted a video of Disney Springs today, taken from the Characters in Flight balloon...   &#13

I have no problem with multiple stops.  But the bus was so crammed that the driver couldn't even pick up anyone at the last two stops.  We were standing so close I can only conclude that the woman behind me was a TSA agent.  I felt like I should buy her dinner afterwards. 

That happened to TurkeyPants and me going from HS to AK in May.  Technically we were not behind the yellow line, but the driver told us to squish on in. 

He then regaled us with stories of Brazilian guests disrobing on his bus, and how many miles he'd driven in back-to-back shifts that week.

Then we told him we drove 1400 miles for the day and were going home tomorrow.

He stopped talking.

That happened to TurkeyPants and me going from HS to AK in May.  Technically we were not behind the yellow line, but the driver told us to squish on in. 

He then regaled us with stories of Brazilian guests disrobing on his bus, and how many miles he'd driven in back-to-back shifts that week.

Then we told him we drove 1400 miles for the day and were going home tomorrow.

He stopped talking.

As are most bus drivers, that one was full of crap.

If you want to drive to DTD, don't stay away because you may have heard stories about there not being any parking and construction taking place.

The map below shows where you'll find additional parking within a 5 or 10 minute walk to PI and the MP.

You can also park in the O,P,& Q lots located in the West Side and take the boat to Pleasure Island.

DTD134678LARGE_zps467ff670.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And update fro the Disney Parks Blog...

If you’ve visited Downtown Disney at Walt Disney World Resort lately, you’ve most likely noticed the many changes underway as the area transforms into Disney Springs – it’s the largest expansion in Downtown Disney history and, when completed, will double the area’s number of dining and retail options. Through this expansion, guests can continue to enjoy more than 70 themed and immersive shopping, dining and entertainment venues day and night. One of my personal favorites is the new Marketplace Co-Op, which has unique Disney boutique shops and has been featured several times here on the Disney Parks Blog.

NBL545392-613x288.jpg

The surrounding roadways and parking areas at Downtown Disney are growing too and will eventually offer easier access to the area. Today we have two new renderings to share with you that showcase the work that is already underway, which includes widening Lake Buena Vista Drive from seven to 10 lanes and constructing two multilevel garages (the first of which, pictured above, is set to open by late 2014 to offer 4,000 parking spaces). Two pedestrian bridges are also planned that will help lead guests into Disney Springs near the current Marketplace side, while the other will offer access in through the West Side.

NBL6868642-613x288.jpg

As you can see above, the changes will also include a new I-4 interchange that will offer guests direct access to Disney Springs.

All of this work is part of the area’s transformation into Disney Springs, which will be continue into 2016. The first phase of the expansion, an area called The Landing, will open in 2015 to offer lakefront shopping and dining. In the meantime, if you are planning to visit Downtown Disney for activities with set times, such as Cirque du Soleil performances, concerts or movies, early arrival is suggested.

Be sure to stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for future updates.

For more on Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort, click the link below:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/07/new-renderings-offer-a-glimpse-at-the-future-access-to-disney-springs/

• 4 weeks later...

Routes for the new boat dock...

Following the opening of the new Marketplace boat dock at Downtown Disney, the transportation routes have been updated.

Service is available daily between 10:30am and 11:30pm.

• Red Route - Water taxi, serving the West Side dock, Pleasure Island dock and Marketplace dock.
  • Yellow Route - Sassagoula River Cruise, to and from Disney's Port Orleans French Quarter and Riverside.
  • Green Route - West Side to and from Old Key West.
  • Blue Route - West Side to and from Saratoga Springs Resort.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/transportation/downtown-disney-water-taxi/news/15aug2014-update-to-downtown-disney-watercraft-routes.htm

From the Disney Parks Blog...

How does Walt Disney Imagineering re-imagine an area of Walt Disney World Resort that guests have enjoyed for more than 40 years?

dsodso938777-613x343.jpg

That’s the creative challenge our Imagineering team, including Executive Creative Director Theron Skees, has been tasked with – to transform the area currently known as Downtown Disney into Disney Springs, a destination that’s being expanded to include more than 150 shopping, dining and entertainment experiences. From an Imagineering perspective, this means developing a storyline and creating a sense of time and place that influences everything from the architecture to the costumes.

We were also excited to share that our Imagineers will continue to share updates here in our “All in the Details” series in the coming months as their work progresses. Here’s the first piece, in which Theron introduces the Disney Springs project and Imagineering’s role in it.

http://youtu.be/m7zSXqXPFIg

The first “neighborhood” in Disney Springs – the opening of The Landing – is set for 2015. Construction on Disney Springs will continue into 2016, so be sure to stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more behind-the-scenes looks at the progress happening as Downtown Disney transforms into Disney Springs.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/08/all-in-the-details-imagineers-unveil-the-storyline-of-disney-springs/

It's been a while since I've driven past Downtown Disney.  I was shocked yesterday when I saw the first parking garage under construction.

This is a look toward Downtown Disney from the traffic light near Planet Hollywood:

81814122_zps4bcc3c68.jpg

And now we're turned to the left looking at the garage-which I couldn't fit into the photo:

81814125_zpseec8c32e.jpg

That thing is massive!

I watched the video Mo posted.  So, these little villages built around natural springs have gigantic parking garages? 

OK.

TCD

• 3 weeks later...

From WDWMagic...

'The Hangar' is starting to take shape in 'The Landing' district of the new Disney Springs.

Work is underway on extending the deck out into the lake which will be the site of the bar and restaurant. 'The Hangar' will be located between The Boathouse and Paradiso 37.

Full article and photos here...

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/disney-springs/news/04sep2014-%27the-hangar%27-begins-to-take-shape-in-the-future-disney-springs.htm

• 1 month later...

From Chip and Co., some info on the new "Boathouse" restaurant coming to Disney Springs...

The-Boathouse-Disney-Springs-500x207.jpg

The Boathouse

The Boathouse Restaurant is a new 22,000 sq ft dining experience and is currently set to be one of the very first completed restaurants for the new Disney Springs construction “The Landing” which is a part of Phase 1 of the project set to debut in 2015. This restaurant location is currently much further along in construction than the other 2 upcoming restaurants for Disney Springs so it seems like we may be sampling some of it’s outstanding dishes sooner than we expected.

The BoatHouse is currently an existing restaurant brand operated in Vancouver, BC which offers delicious fresh, local, wild and sustainable seafood items, mouth watering steaks and more. You can checkout their website and menu items here. We estimate that the prices will be a bit more upscale but that families and couples alike will enjoy dining at this new and exciting Disney Springs Restaurant Location.

The Boathouse is located on the river just between Paradso 37 and Raglan Road. With the permit for The Boathouse being signed by Steven Schussler who also brought us other favorites such as, “T-Rex Cafe”, “The Rainforest Cafe” at Downtown Disney, and the “Yak and Yeti” Restaurant located in Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park. This helps us get an idea of what we can expect from this new restaurant location.

http://www.chipandco.com/boathouse-restaurant-coming-disney-springs-2015-200723/

• 3 weeks later...

Being a fan of Morimoto all the way back to the original Japanese version of Iron Chef, I'm really liking this news!

Famous Chef to open a pan-Asian restaurant at Downtown Disney Springs next year

October 27, 2014

Morimoto-Asia-Exterior-620x300.jpg

A new pan-Asian restaurant run by famous Chef Masaharu Morimoto of “Iron Chef” is coming to Downtown Disney next summer as Downtown Disney transforms into Disney Springs.

Chef Masaharu Morimoto is teaming up with Patina Restaurant Group to open Morimoto Asia in The Landing, in the heart of Disney Springs. It’s the Japanese master chef’s first pan-Asian restaurant.

Morimoto Asia’s 36-foot tall, two-story layout will include a vast range of areas to explore including open terraces, grand hall, private rooms, long bar, cocktail lounge, waterside seating and more. The restaurant is being designed by STUDIO V Architecture.

Morimoto-Asia-Interior-620x348.jpg

“We are delighted to work with Morimoto to create this one of a kind restaurant, which will be a spectacular dining destination at the new Disney Springs,” said Nick Valenti, restaurateur and CEO of Patina Restaurant Group.

“I’m very excited to bring this new concept to Disney, something I’ve always dreamed of,” said Chef Morimoto. “It’s a wonderful chance to share some of my favorite foods from across the Asian continent.”

Morimoto Asia’s culinary elements will provide flavors from across Asia, while exhibition kitchens will showcase the continent’s traditions. Included among them are street-food stalls, Peking duck carving and dim sum.

“We’re thrilled to bring Chef Morimoto’s renowned culinary style to Disney Springs as we expand the range of dining experiences for our resort guests as well as local Florida residents,” said George A. Kalogridis, president, Walt Disney World Resort.

The Patina Restaurant Group also runs Tutto Italia Ristorante and Via Napoli at Epcot, among other restaurants in New York and California.

For dining reservations and more information about Morimoto Asia, guests will be able to visit Disneyworld.com in the future.

http://attractionsmagazine.com/famous-chef-open-pan-asian-restaurant-downtown-disney-next-year/

More info on The Boathouse restaurant from WDWMagic.  Follow the link to the full article for a bunch of concept art.

Schussler Creative has today announced that it will be bringing a new restaurant concept to 'The Landing' district of Disney Springs in the Spring of 2015.

The BOATHOUSE will be an upscale, waterfront dining experience featuring spectacular floating artwork: dream boats from the 30’s, 40’s & 50’s.

The restaurant will feature three separate bars, The Captain’s Raw Bar, The Admiral’s Club Bar and The Dock Bar. Also part of the restaurant's nautically-themed rooms will be The Runabout, Twin Transoms, and The Lake House. There will also be two private dining rooms for special events, conventions and presentations: The Regatta and The Trophy Room.

The gourmet menu will be served daily until 2am, including menu items such as steaks, chops, seafood and a raw bar. The BOATHOUSE restaurant will be managed by internationally renowned and award-winning Gibsons Restaurant Group  (recently named Best Steak House in Chicago).

The experience will also include live music, and water cruises - ranging from the upscale guided tour aboard the 40ft wooden Italian Water Taxi, The Venezia, to the 20 minute guided tours onboard the Amphicars. The Harbor Master will orchestrate daily flag ceremonies, accompanied by a lively musical performance of beloved bugle songs, performed aboard a classic 1800’s antique steam boat.

“Combining dining with interactive entertainment, The BOATHOUSE helps bring to life our vision of Disney Springs as a welcoming place for guests of all ages to enjoy with their friends and family amid the charm of a waterfront town center,” said George A. Kalogridis, president, Walt Disney World Resort.

“We are very excited that The BOATHOUSE is joining the Walt Disney World family at Disney Springs,” said creator Steven Schussler. “We are proud to bring the culinary expertise and impeccable service of Gibsons Restaurant Group to The BOATHOUSE. The outstanding cuisine, the excitement of Amphicars, the Italian Water Taxi, and live music will make The BOATHOUSE a must-see destination for Walt Disney World guests from all around the world. Walt Disney Imagineering has created a wonderful, interactive, culinary and entertainment experience at Disney Springs. We are proud to be part of this magical experience.”

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/the-boathouse/news/27oct2014-the-boathouse-restaurant-confirmed-for-disney-springs-in-2015.htm

According to an article published yesterday by the Orlando Sentinel, the new Disney Springs parking garage is scheduled to open November 20...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-parking-garage-opening-20141029-story.html

Visitors to Downtown Disney can start using the complex's first new parking garage Nov. 20.

The garage will open for a trial run for employees only on Sunday, and then additional levels will open for the general public two and a half weeks after that, Disney said.

The opening of the garage should help alleviate congestion in the area. Getting around and parking has been particularly difficult during Downtown Disney's expansion. The complex is doubling its number of dining, shopping and entertainment options as it transforms into an area called Disney Springs.

The project includes two parking garages with 6,000 spaces. It also includes two pedestrian bridges, widening of Buena Vista Drive with dedicated bus lanes, and an extension off an Interstate 4 exit ramp that will lead directly into the garage.

The garage has five levels with about 4,000 parking spaces. On Nov. 20, the first through fourth levels will be partly open with about 1,700 spaces available. In December, nearly 3,000 spaces will be available.

Features such as entrance ramps and escalators also still need to be added.

• 1 month later...

More restaurant news for Disney Springs...

STK Orlando upscale steakhouse announced for Disney Springs, to open at Walt Disney World in 2015

Walt Disney World and The ONE Group Hospitality have announced STK Orlando steakhouse to open in The Landing at Disney Springs in 2015.

STK combines the modern steakhouse concept with a lounge, including a DJ, emphasizing a social, fun environment. It will be around 14,000 square feet, one of the largest STK locations, featuring two dining floors, including a main level and the only rooftop dining venue in Disney Springs.

STK-DT-7-788x557-550x388.jpg

STK_MT_Web1-788x557-550x388.jpg

STK-DT-9-788x557-550x388.jpg

“We are thrilled to join the Disney Springs family with the launch of STK Orlando,” said Jonathan Segal, CEO of The ONE Group. “The combination of an innovative menu and high-energy atmosphere has driven the success of STK, and we believe it will be an ideal addition to Disney Springs, and will help further cement its status as a place for friends and family to gather for fine dining and entertainment.”

STK Orlando joins Morimoto Asia and The Boathouse as announced restaurants for Disney Springs, with many more to come.

It will be the ninth STK location, following existing restaurants in New York, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, London, and Washington DC. The photos seen here are from these other locations, indicative of the future look of STK Orlando.

STK-LV-1-814x575-550x388.jpg

STK-LA-2-814x575-550x388.jpg

“STK Orlando is a welcome new addition to Disney Springs. With its innovative, high-energy atmosphere, STK is the perfect complement to our growing array of dining, entertainment and shopping offerings,” said George A. Kalogridis, president, Walt Disney World Resort.

STK menus include steak (naturally) in small, medium and large cuts of meat, as well as other signature items such as Parmesan Truffle Fries, Shrimp Rice Krispies, Sweet Corn Pudding, and Jump Lump Crab Salad.

The full completion of Disney Springs is expected in 2016.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/headlines/stk-orlando-upscale-steakhouse-announced-for-disney-springs-to-open-at-walt-disney-world-in-2015/

I hope that rooftop dining has a cover to it, because if not, they will only be able to take Dining Reservations for their inside capacity. It would be a complete disaster if they couldn't seat some of the reservations they have when the rain comes.

Wow, I guess I won't ever have to go to Disney Spring. I doubt I will be able to afford anything.  

No kidding.  I tried to find a menu from this new steakhouse online, and the ones on their website do not include prices.  You know what that means.  On Yelp, the price range listed per entrée is $30-60.  I'll have to pass.

I hope that rooftop dining has a cover to it, because if not, they will only be able to take Dining Reservations for their inside capacity. It would be a complete disaster if they couldn't seat some of the reservations they have when the rain comes.

You'd think they'd be smart enough to think of that.  But you never know.

I have lost count of how many big new restaurants they are cramming in to Disney Springs.

But I think it's too many.  Are there that many guests looking to spend big dollars on a sit down meal?

TCD

No kidding.  I tried to find a menu from this new steakhouse online, and the ones on their website do not include prices.  You know what that means.  On Yelp, the price range listed per entrée is $30-60.  I'll have to pass.

You'd think they'd be smart enough to think of that.  But you never know.

I have lost count of how many big new restaurants they are cramming in to Disney Springs.

But I think it's too many.  Are there that many guests looking to spend big dollars on a sit down meal?

TCD

We'll find out when they announce if they'll be on the DDP or not.  8)

Speaking of...

Did you know that if you are on the regular DDP and want to eat at Monsieur Paul in Epcot (upstairs in France) it will cost you 2 table service credits AND $30 per adult?  :wacko:

We'll find out when they announce if they'll be on the DDP or not.  B)

Speaking of...

Did you know that if you are on the regular DDP and want to eat at Monsieur Paul in Epcot (upstairs in France) it will cost you 2 table service credits AND $30 per adult?  :wacko:

No.

I didn't know that.

But now that I do, I promise you that you'll never see me up there.

Wow.

TCD

The funny thing is that, unless you went crazy with wine pairings, it would actually be LESS expensive if you just paid out of pocket.

The menu isn't really all that much more expensive than many Signature Dining locations these days.  They have entrées in the $40 range - so does Narcoosees, Yachtsman, California Grill, Flying Fish...

I think they're just trying to keep "the masses" out but for whatever reason, can't or won't justify just not accepting DDP there.