You all are the best!

We have decided against bringing it. Steve says it is stressing him out. Besides the axle work, we also need to replace the tires. He said he noticed that there appears to be some dry rotting. Never mind that I told him months ago that we needed new tires. Did he listen to me? Of course not.

OK need to let it go.

A couple whacks with a rubber mallet on the silver cap and it should come right off, might have to alternate sides where you are hitting it to help "pry" it back and forth. Once it is off there is likely a grease zirk under there and you could top off the grease that way but make sure not to use an air grease gun. It can have too much pressure and blow grease out the back bearing seal and into the brakes themselves. If that were to happen you would notice a substantial loss of braking power. To pull the bearing to pack by hand you will still need to pop off the silver dust cap, then remove the retaining washer or castle but, and pull the hub off to get to the bearings. Then hand pack like any other bearing. Sounds bad, but it's really not. I did all 4 of mine and adjusted the brakes a few weekends ago in about 3 hours.

Don't skimp on the tires. I'll leave it at that.

I know you aren't taking it at this point, but wanted to throw that out there. Maybe since you wont be in a hurry to get it done he could take his time and do it himself.