Dogs allowed in downtown disney?

I am wondering if you can bring your dog along with the family for a walk around the downtown disney area at night?  He is classified as a giant breed but gentle with good canine citizenship certification and currently in training for therapy dog.  Obviously I am not intending to shop with him nor have a dine-in experience, just think it would be cool to snap a few photos of the big guy there with his human pups.

frank

Alas, no dogs at DTD.

A few years ago, about 2009, they had a special "Dog Day" in December and we took our two shelties.  They had their picture taken with Santa.

MouseFest2008291.jpg

Then they posed with the Lego dogs.

MouseFest2008316.jpg

Then we had lunch at Earl's.

Tagomania09214.jpg

We went back with them a few years later and were politely informed that dogs were not allowed.

We're glad to have had that one chance!

Alas, no dogs at DTD.

A few years ago, about 2009, they had a special "Dog Day" in December and we took our two shelties.  They had their picture taken with Santa.

MouseFest2008291.jpg

Then they posed with the Lego dogs.

MouseFest2008316.jpg

Then we had lunch at Earl's.

Tagomania09214.jpg

We went back with them a few years later and were politely informed that dogs were not allowed.

We're glad to have had that one chance!

Great photos, Gary!

That Santa doesn't look right, though.

TCD

that would of been cool to take the kids to dtd.  but, i don't like pics with santa.  santa is never right.  i prefer to have a tree or decorations in the backdrop.  :)  but, your pics turned out really nice.  at least santa has an expression on his face. :)

That is a GREAT pic!

I'm surprised Disney hasn't come up with more "special" events to separate us pet owners from our sheckles.

That was a very special occasion.

Back when there was a kennel at each park we took the dogs to Animal Kingdom one morning.

Pluto was actually walking away (end of his shift?) when he saw us join the line waiting for PhotoPass pictures.

He turned around, came back, and waved us in for a picture . . . all the other folks waitng in line cheered!

Disney Magic at it's best!

Just to say... Therapy dogs aren't considered official special need/service canines. So you may run into a CM who recognizes the vest for what it is and asks you to leave.

I believe that the only dogs allowed are active service animals as per law.

There are very important distinctions between service and therapy animals.

-------

Therapy Animals are not legally defined by federal law. They provide people with contact to animals, but are not limited to working with people who have disabilities. They are usually the personal pets of their handlers, and work with their handlers to provide services to others, such as visiting patients in hospitals or the elderly in assisted-living care, help children learn to read, etc.

Service Animals are legally defined (Americans With Disabilities Act, 1990) and are trained to meet the disability-related needs of their handlers who have disabilities. Federal laws protect the rights of individuals with disabilities to be accompanied by their service animals in public places. Service animals are specifically trained to help just one person, and are not considered ‘pets’.

-------

Not knocking the therapy dog, just stating official thoughts. Be prepared.