Well.. we've downgraded our search to something lighter. If it ends up wrecking my van I guess we'll deal with that then. I think Mr.41's ULTIMATE plan, and ulterior motif is to end up with a Hummer. ::)

Keep in mind- we don't actually HAVE a camper yet... There's still a chance it will never happen. :(

Don't get angry, but its more than just wrecking your van. There is a safety issue involved, too. I don't want to sound like Larry, but I don't think this is a great tow vehicle. Just because other people have done it and it can be done doesn't mean it should be done. WWLD?
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the most confusing areas for anyone considering a new pop-up is the aspect of "what can I tow, and which hitch should I purchase?".  Before you go any further, get your vehicle owners manual, a

Well, if thinking used:   Purchasing a Used Pop-Up-Camper   Pricing for specific makes and models are different for different areas of the country One good source for pricing information is the NADA G

let me just say, I experienced a few sudden stop situations towing home from disney on sat. I had several drivers cut me off, one try to merge on top of me, cars screeching to a halt for an accident

As others have said, over loading your vehicle is not a fun or safe situation. Having been one who dumped a ton of money trying to make a TV work with my trailer, I can tell you I never saw a penny of that money back in trade in. I lost thousands trying to make it work instead of taking that money and applying it to the TV I ended up buying anyways. That said, there are things that can be done here. You are showing us that the pop up is not your ultimate goal, you want something bigger, may be a hard sided TT or a class c per your posts. (by the way hummers are not good TV either). I would invest in an older used TV and an older used TT or just get an older used class C. Start with this as you discover what it is that works for you. you won't have a large financial hit and you can get more along the lines of what you want. Also, most will trade their trailer, motorhome etc several times before finding the Floorplan and size that really works for their needs and wants.

Public service announcement: we have no intention of over loading our TV. :)

Mr.41 will make sure to get all the info he can, from every source possible before moving ahead with any of this.  Which (fortunately and unfortunately) may end up in us not getting ANYTHING after all.  Not only does he hate spending money- when he DOES spend big money, he's very thorough in his pre-purchase research.

I appreciate all of your help & opinions! 

When I bought my 2009 Cougar 29BHS, the salesman guaranteed that my crew cab F150 with the tow package was a plenty adequate TV. I did my own research, and found out it was within all acceptable limits (including a safety margin). After my 2nd exhausting/nerve wrecking trip, I had had enough. I never had problems or close calls, but I was always exhausted from drive. So I saved my nickels and dimes, then purchased an F250. The difference is night and day. My vacations now start the minute I sit down behind the wheel instead of after a day of rest after arriving.

I'm not recommending any particular TV or Popup or TT. Just sharing my experience. Whatever rig you end up with, welcome to the nomad vacation life! You will have a blast.

When I bought my 2009 Cougar 29BHS, the salesman guaranteed that my crew cab F150 with the tow package was a plenty adequate TV. I did my own research, and found out it was within all acceptable limits (including a safety margin). After my 2nd exhausting/nerve wrecking trip, I had had enough. I never had problems or close calls, but I was always exhausted from drive. So I saved my nickels and dimes, then purchased an F250. The difference is night and day. My vacations now start the minute I sit down behind the wheel instead of after a day of rest after arriving.

I'm not recommending any particular TV or Popup or TT. Just sharing my experience. Whatever rig you end up with, welcome to the nomad vacation life! You will have a blast.

I totally agree. The GMC dealer told me the same thing about the1500 I bought. I saved my pennies,( more like broke my bank) and bought the 2500 diesel. Night and day.

We had similar experiences when shopping for a camper, those sales people are coin operated and will tell you outright lies if they think it will get you to write a check.

When we had our pop-up, we brought my SUV to a guy who works on trailers and commercial trucks and he got me outfitted with what we needed.  (we bought the pop-up off craigslist)  The Toyota dealer didn't seem to know what we needed, and Camping World is a rip-off, their service dept. is completely corrupt, IMO.

When we graduated to a TT, we didn't own a vehicle capable of towing it, but luckily, my parents had a truck that could and allowed us to use it when we took it out.  After a few months we bought a bigger truck ourselves.  Might that be an option?  A family member with an SUV or truck that is better equipped to tow a pop-up?

The other thought I had while reading this is that Odysseys really retain a lot of their value and you just might be able to make a deal if you were to trade it and get an SUV as your family vehicle that also happens to have the towing capacity you need.  Since they're so popular, maybe you could find something where you'd break even?

Oy!  I am not sure what happened with that last post……what are those symbols?  Some kind of code?

I got the driver error when I tried to post it, went away for a bit then came back and did the "restore saved content" thing.  And this is what came out!  So sorry!

I was just about to do this...

Thanks!  I just discovered some glorious thing called "expandable".

I had no idea such things existed. haha.. My Odyssey is new ('13) but I have no idea about the specs- gonna get the book out this afternoon.

Thanks!  This is almost as overwhelming as planning a Disney trip.   :)

I don't need a "bathroom" per se- but a toilet would be nice.. I can deal with an outside shower.  

I grew up camping in a '68(?) Gem slide-in with 5 people, so size isn't really an issue. :laugh:

Here she is- in her less than glory days.....  Oh the memories!!!

9846ab20-304d-43b0-b6c0-a5e8ffa37732_zps

Late to this thread,,,, but gotta say any camper w/ a no. 3 on it is a keepa.......

Jennifer we should be at the Fort around the same time you are there.  I think we are scheduled to come in on December 9.  Be sure and look for the Hammetts......the Ft. Fiends sign will be out.  And by the 12th there should be at least 30 large Christmas blow ups on our site......things which Lou hates to see.....I may add more just to keep him coming by trying the pop them.    HA!  (JK Lou..you know I love you).

Good luck with  your PUP shopping.  You will get a lot of use out of it.  Looking forward to seeing you in person.

The other thought I had while reading this is that Odysseys really retain a lot of their value and you just might be able to make a deal if you were to trade it and get an SUV as your family vehicle that also happens to have the towing capacity you need.  Since they're so popular, maybe you could find something where you'd break even?

This actually makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll have to run this through Mr.41 & get his thoughts.

Late to this thread,,,, but gotta say any camper w/ a no. 3 on it is a keepa.......

:laugh: 

Jennifer we should be at the Fort around the same time you are there.  I think we are scheduled to come in on December 9. 

Judy! How long are you staying?

Jennifer we will be there from around the 9th til January 4th.

Nice!! Wish we could stay that long! We only have 5 nights.  I will have a sign by the time we go, I just haven't ordered it yet. :)

I purposely made my husband, get me, my suburban we we trade the beast in. (My fully paid off 1997 ford f250 diesel ext cab 4x4). I was 9 3/4 months pregnant when we trade him for beauty. I have horses so need something that could still tow a little. YES, They had to pry the title out of my hands, pregnancy hormones and such. If it could have handled a car seat I would have never traded it and we would have a travel trailer by now.

So to make a long story longer.

I can pull a nice smaller trailer with sub and she is a great all around vehicle. I will be buying another when she wears out.

So think about trading up.

Edited to correct... Well a lot... I must have been tired.

The other thought I had while reading this is that Odysseys really retain a lot of their value and you just might be able to make a deal if you were to trade it and get an SUV as your family vehicle that also happens to have the towing capacity you need. Since they're so popular, maybe you could find something where you'd break even?

Mr.41 is  now actively considering this option...  Also- his uncle has a Silverado he might sell to us if we show interest...

I'm still holding my breath that any of this is actually going to happen.

This is the floor plan that I really like (though if we stick with the Odyssey- it will be way to heavy, so lets just call this my "you must be dreaming" PUP for now..)

If anyone knows of a model, or floor plan that's similar yet lighter/less expensive- please inform!

What I REALLY like is how the sink/stove isn't right next to the bed and I like the double sink. I also like the slide out dinette because it creates more room- but I'm willing to go without it.

I like the toilet/shower- but I'd be willing to do without that too.  

(So basically what I'm saying is- my favorite part is the placement of the double sink & stove top and if I can find something smaller and/or lighter that still has that, I'd be very content. :)  )

ForestRiverFlagstaffHighWallCampingTrail

Mr.41 is  now actively considering this option...  Also- his uncle has a Silverado he might sell to us if we show interest...

I'm still holding my breath that any of this is actually going to happen.

Cool!  I hope you get it worked out, whatever combination you have to use……as someone who "put the cart before the horse", and bought a camper we didn't have a vehicle to tow it with, I am not the best person to give advice…..but if you're serious and you know this is something you will continue doing, it's worth it!  Also, when we did it we knew that we were going to be getting another vehicle soon, as my husband's former truck was getting older and we were ready anyway.

This is the floor plan that I really like (though if we stick with the Odyssey- it will be way to heavy, so lets just call this my "you must be dreaming" PUP for now..)

If anyone knows of a model, or floor plan that's similar yet lighter/less expensive- please inform!

What I REALLY like is how the sink/stove isn't right next to the bed and I like the double sink. I also like the slide out dinette because it creates more room- but I'm willing to go without it.

I like the toilet/shower- but I'd be willing to do without that too.  

(So basically what I'm saying is- my favorite part is the placement of the double sink & stove top and if I can find something smaller and/or lighter that still has that, I'd be very content. :)  )

ForestRiverFlagstaffHighWallCampingTrail

That is a sweet pop up!  And, I agree with the placement of the kitchen too.  I remember using one of the beds as a prep area some times and always felt odd doing that!  Of course, ours was a '99 model long before they had thought this stuff out a bit more and slide outs were less common.

I am among those who don't think a toilet in a pop up is a necessity.  Even after we graduated to a trailer, our family primarily used the bath houses for bathing and toilet.  Just easier and less (nasty) work for us.  At the same time, it is nice to have a place to go in the middle of the night, or in a downpour, or at a CG with less than desirable facilities!  Can you say shower flip flops?

We have some friends that tow a Jayco 1206 with their Odyssey.

http://www.jayco.com/products/camping-trailers/jay-series/floorplans-specs

It's gross is just a hair under what the Odyssey can tow.  it's not the perfect floor plan like above, placement of the sink/stove and all, but they have not had any issues at all towing it once they started using the Equalizer hitch.  Did a trip for San Antonio to the Fort last year.

We have started looking online at pop ups because we know that is the route we will go maybe next year.  I think I want a new one that hasn't been abused or weathered, but worry about more recent workmanship being not as good (as an earlier poster said plastic instead of metal).  My in-laws had one for 40 years that we would still be using had rodents not gotten into and destroyed. 

BUT I see so many pop ups in RV lots all open all the time.  Does any dealer actually leave some closed?  Isn't it getting sun weathered before it ever gets bought???  Anyone have thoughts on this? 

That is a sweet pop up!    Isn't it??  It's just the "dream PUP" for now... but a girl can dream, right?? :)

Can you say shower flip flops?  LOL!  I'd be willing to do without the toilet/shower- but like you said, it would be nice to have!

We have some friends that tow a Jayco 1206 with their Odyssey.

http://www.jayco.com/products/camping-trailers/jay-series/floorplans-specs

It's gross is just a hair under what the Odyssey can tow.  it's not the perfect floor plan like above, placement of the sink/stove and all, but they have not had any issues at all towing it once they started using the Equalizer hitch.  Did a trip for San Antonio to the Fort last year.

Good to know!  I really need to look more into the hitching options.  I just wish Mr.41 would make up his mind about a TV! Are we gonna use the Odyssey, or get a truck????  It's driving me nuts! I want to go camping NOW! :laugh: