Nighttime Show "Rivers Of Light" Coming to Animal Kingdom 2016

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Disney's Imagineering continues to say that the show has struggled with technical difficulties and new technologies being used. From the PR dept, it sounds really complex if not impossible to explain

Here is the shirt I will be wearing the next time I get to the MK.   

I can't see an after-dark show at AK without Disney having to work hard to change guests' habits.  For 15 years many of us have gotten into the habit of hitting AK early in the day and then bailing by

OTPN has a bunch of new photos showing the walls starting to come down in preparation for the Rivers of Light debut...

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2016/04/rivers-of-light-update-walls-are.html

We are less than 20 days away from the official debut of Animal Kingdom's first nighttime show, Rivers of Light. Recent rumors are pointing to a possible delay in the testing process (that would explain why testing of the barges, fountains, and special effects is taking place during the day instead that after park close), but that is currently not expected to impact the April 22 opening date. While we are waiting for soft openings, let's take a look around the Discovery River.

Looks like the debut has been delayed into May.  Bummer.  :(

Update on Nighttime Experiences at Disney’s Animal Kingdom

Thomas Smith

by Thomas Smith, Editorial Content Director, Disney Parks

With the expansion of Disney’s Animal Kingdom, we’re excited to give Guests even more opportunities to celebrate the magic of animals and nature as day turns into night. While we’d hoped to debut these offerings on April 22, unfortunately, they will not open as planned on that date as we give the team more time to bring these innovative experiences to life in a way we know will exceed our guests’ expectations.

We’ll share more information about timing on the Disney Parks Blog by mid- to late May. We checked in recently during rehearsals of two key elements of the nighttime experience at Disney’s Animal Kingdom: the dramatic water and light show Rivers of Light, and the new nighttime magic at the Tree of Life.

This image from a recent rehearsal of Rivers of Light illustrates a bit of the beauty and complexity of this innovative blend of water, light and original music that brings with it so many firsts.

This video of the iconic Tree of Life shows how the centerpiece of Disney’s Animal Kingdom will truly come alive with swirling animated imagery that tells enchanting stories from nature.

We apologize for any inconvenience and look forward to debuting these new offerings. We hope you agree that they look worth the wait!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/04/update-on-nighttime-experiences-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

4 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

At least may. That's when they say there will be an update. 

• 2 weeks later...

From WDW News today...

BREAKING: Rivers of Light Likely To Not Make Summer 2016 Debut

As Walt Disney World rolls out the red carpet for its annual summer media preview this week, something BIG is noticeably missing from any and all press releases… Rivers of Light.

riversoflight-f

While many new attractions we do not have opening dates for as of yet are mentioned (i.e. Soarin’ Around the world, Frozen Ever After), Rivers of Light is not mentioned at all, even though Animal Kingdom does have some announced nighttime offerings:

Disney’s Animal Kingdom

For the first time in its 18-year history, Disney’s Animal Kingdom will debut new day-into-nighttime experiences that celebrate the magic of nature.

• The park’s iconic Tree of Life will awaken each night amid a lively celebration of Discovery Island music and dance. Through stunning visuals, animal spirits appear and enchanted fireflies reveal stories of wonder as the tree morphs to showcase the magic of nature.
  • Kilimanjaro Safaris transitions to a new nighttime adventure in the extended orange glow of a setting sun. For the first time, hyenas and African wild dogs join the safari trail creature feature.
  • Hungry adventurers can have lunch or dinner at the new Tiffins signature restaurant on Discovery Island this summer. Guests seated in the restaurant’s travel-themed dining rooms or on the waterfront patio can sip libations and savor dishes featuring African, Asian and South American flavors
  • Across the park, guests can experience wondrous new nighttime experiences and entertainment celebrating marvels in nature and enjoy long-time favorites such as Expedition Everest, DINOSAUR, Kali River Rapids and more – in a whole new light.

While the park will be open into the late-evening all Summer long, it is now uncertain that Rivers of Light will make its debut anytime soon. Rumors persist that the wireless control system for the nighttime show’s floats is just not working, or even that one of the larger flower barges may have sunk into the Discovery River. Either way, I wouldn’t count on seeing this show anytime soon as Disney is obviously being very cautious in its publicity.

Whatever the case may be, this latest development makes the situation look possibly worse than we originally imagined. If the show does debut this Summer, we expect it to be mid-way or late into the season.

Stay tuned for any and all details on Rivers of Light as they become available.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/04/breaking-rivers-of-light-likely-to-not-make-summer-2016-debut/

3 hours ago, Beckers said:

I wonder if they were honest and said "this such and such isn't working correctly" would people be more receptive to the delay if they knew what was going on?

Even something as simple as "we've encountered some technical difficulties..." might play a little better with the public instead of just dropping it like a hot potato and not talking about it .

42 minutes ago, ependydad...Doug said:

My wife was looking at pictures last night and it sounds like they did a preview of the show recently-- last night, maybe??

Yes it was last night as part of the Awaken Summer media event going on. Not a full run of the show just parts and they still arent giving a date for it to open.

Some photos/video from the preview...

First look at Rivers of Light at Disney's Animal Kingdom

10 hours ago

Rivers of Light rehearsal

It may be delayed until later this year, but Disney has released a preview video of Rivers of Light at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Different from the version shown at today's media preview, this clip shows most of the floats moving, and looks a lot closer to what we expect the final show to be. Check it out below.

Disney also announced tonight an interim show that will begin on Memorial Day Weekend, 'The Jungle Book: Alive with Magic.'

Article Posted: Apr 20, 2016 / 11:21pm EDT

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/rivers-of-light/news/20apr2016-video---first-look-at-rivers-of-light-at-disneys-animal-kingdom.htm

• 3 months later...

RUMOR: Rivers of Light at Animal Kingdom May Be Nearing Completion

We may not want to get our hopes up again, but there have been rumblings among sources inside the Disney Company that the Rivers of Light nighttime show at Disney’s Animal Kingdom might be nearing completion.

"Rivers of Light,"the majestic nighttime jewel, coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom creates an illuminating musical experience for guests. Currently in development with a premiere date to be announced soon, "Rivers of Light" will celebrate the magic of animals, humans and the natural world with a blend of performers, floating lanterns and theatrical animal imagery. (David Roark, photographer)

The show, originally slated to debut April 22nd, 2016, was indefinitely delayed due to problems with the automated show barges/floats. Rumors indicate the time down has also been used to rewrite large portions of the show that management may have deemed “too boring”.

The show already has missed most of the Summer 2016 season at Walt Disney World, but Disney did create a filler show to placate guests over the last 2 months. Unfortunately it was the poorly received The Jungle Book: Alive with Magic.

If the rumors are true, a September debut for the show seems likely as that would be the conclusion of the already announced run for Alive with Magic. At the latest, we expect to the show to begin performing in late November/early December, but just as they did before, things can always change.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/07/rumor-rivers-of-light-at-animal-kingdom-may-be-nearing-completion/

I never heard the rumor about the show being re-written.  I have wondered if those Indian dancers and the singers were hired for the original show, and then got put to use in the Jungle Book replacement.  I am bummed that I probably will never get to see the show as it was originally intended.  I think the end product is going to be a dumbed-down version.

TCD

22 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I never heard the rumor about the show being re-written.  I have wondered if those Indian dancers and the singers were hired for the original show, and then got put to use in the Jungle Book replacement.  I am bummed that I probably will never get to see the show as it was originally intended.  I think the end product is going to be a dumbed-down version.

TCD

I'd still love to know what went kablooey that they needed to spend months retooling the whole show.

11 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

I'd still love to know what went kablooey that they needed to spend months retooling the whole show.

Me too - because I would be willing to bet that the "kablooey" was something that cost a mint!!! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2016 at 9:51 PM, lightbikes said:

Me too - because I would be willing to bet that the "kablooey" was something that cost a mint!!! 

Disney's Imagineering continues to say that the show has struggled with technical difficulties and new technologies being used. From the PR dept, it sounds really complex if not impossible to explain in an article. Nevertheless, talk on the street suggests Disney is simply trying to overcome the physics involved with projected light shows (vs pyrotechnics) where it's only impressive from a limited number of perspectives; perfect angle and from a very limited number of seats. IMO, Disney is aware that they must get this, along with the World of Avatar, right the first time due to the public's cooled enthusiasm for the special effects-laden film and anticipated franchise. Of course, much like the Magic Bands, too much is invested to back out of this franchise in the making.

Also, the latest news has AK ending all night-time attractions beginning Sept 5, 2016.

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/08/15/disney-world-gives-animal-kingdom-the-night-off.aspx

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/the-daily-disney/os-animal-kingdom-nighttime-problems-20160816-story.html

I have to say this doesn't surprise me. We didn't see the jungle book show but stood around to watch the tree of life and left wondering why we had wasted our time. Same with the night time safari, went to check it out and we're very disappointed. Left wishing we has not changed our fast passes from HS to AK.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

I have to say this doesn't surprise me. We didn't see the jungle book show but stood around to watch the tree of life and left wondering why we had wasted our time. Same with the night time safari, went to check it out and we're very disappointed. Left wishing we has not changed our fast passes from HS to AK.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hmmm... guess we should change our night FPs for our trip at the end of September.

23 hours ago, Tuke said:

Disney's Imagineering continues to say that the show has struggled with technical difficulties and new technologies being used. From the PR dept, it sounds really complex if not impossible to explain in an article. Nevertheless, talk on the street suggests Disney is simply trying to overcome the physics involved with projected light shows (vs pyrotechnics) where it's only impressive from a limited number of perspectives; perfect angle and from a very limited number of seats. IMO, Disney is aware that they must get this, along with the World of Avatar, right the first time due to the public's cooled enthusiasm for the special effects-laden film and anticipated franchise. Of course, much like the Magic Bands, too much is invested to back out of this franchise in the making.

Also, the latest news has AK ending all night-time attractions beginning Sept 5, 2016.

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/08/15/disney-world-gives-animal-kingdom-the-night-off.aspx

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/the-daily-disney/os-animal-kingdom-nighttime-problems-20160816-story.html

Thanks for sharing that. 

The fact that they're rolling back the AK park hours as fall approaches doesn't bode well.    I know the plan was to start building AK into a full day/nighttime park in preparation for AVATARLAND, and this show was going to be a big part of it, but it sounds like they may have jumped the gun big-time on this.