Nighttime Show "Rivers Of Light" Coming to Animal Kingdom 2016

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Disney's Imagineering continues to say that the show has struggled with technical difficulties and new technologies being used. From the PR dept, it sounds really complex if not impossible to explain

Here is the shirt I will be wearing the next time I get to the MK.   

I can't see an after-dark show at AK without Disney having to work hard to change guests' habits.  For 15 years many of us have gotten into the habit of hitting AK early in the day and then bailing by

And to think how much we mocked the hipster blog! 

I think it looks cool. 

I'm not sure how they're going to pull it off though. 

I can't believe those hipsters were right about this.  They even got the name right.

I apologize for mocking them.

I just took a moment to re-read this thread.

It's a good one!

Gave me a couple of good laughs.

It even made me miss Lou.

TCD

You're right.... This thread is a classic. It has monkey butts, Josh, cinnamon rolls... Hard to top.

Think this will really be finished in 2014?

According to the Hipsters, they had already tested it last year.

So, why couldn't it be ready to go this year?

I don't think there's much to it.  It sounds like a lot of projection- I assume they have the hardware ready to go- so they just install it and go.

BTW-I had completely forgotten about the Hipsters and just spent some time looking at some of their recent posts.  Those are two strange dudes.

TCD

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

From WDWMagic...

Construction is set to begin on the seating areas for Rivers of Light - the new nighttime spectacular coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Walls will go up next week around areas of Asia and DinoLand U.S.A. next week to begin the work. Rivers of Light is expected to open in March 2016.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/rivers-of-light/news/28aug2014-construction-to-begin-next-week-on-rivers-of-light-seating-areas-at-disney%27s-animal-kingdom.htm

WDWMagic has posted photos of the construction taking place around the Tree of Life, in the Discovery Island area of Disney's Animal Kingdom...

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/animal-kingdom/news/29aug2014-photos---latest-look-at-discovery-island-construction-at-disney%27s-animal-kingdom.htm

Construction walls surround much of the Tree of Life area, and work is continuing on the new animal exhibit near the Outfitters store. Expect to see a lot more walls up next week as work begins on the seating areas in Asia and DinoLand for the upcoming Rivers of Light show.

WDWMagic has posted photos of the construction taking place around the Tree of Life, in the Discovery Island area of Disney's Animal Kingdom...

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/animal-kingdom/news/29aug2014-photos---latest-look-at-discovery-island-construction-at-disney's-animal-kingdom.htm

WDW Magic got scooped- I already posted photos of these walls:

And, here we are in the AK.

I know that Camp Minnie Mickey is closed and under construction, but I didn't know about these walls they had up around the Tree of Life and the old Tip Board:

81814001_zpsae4a9bb4.jpg

The entrance to It's Tough to Be a Bug was also walled-off:

81814002_zps542a87d7.jpg

Anyone know what's going on here?

TCD

They say this is for the new night time show?

Which isn't opening until 2016?

I thought it's going to be performed over water, with guests seated in seating areas which are to be built. What does the Tree of Life have to do with that?

TCD

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

WDWMagic has posted a photo update on the construction...
http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/rivers-of-light/news/29jul2015-photos---rivers-of-light-construction-at-disneys-animal-kingdom.htm

Rivers of Light will be the first nighttime spectacular to be shown at Disney's Animal Kingdom, and is set for a March 2016 opening.

Expect live performers paired with water and lighting effects. Disney has recruited Cirque du Soleil and WET Design (the leading authority in water effects) to collaborate on the project.

Hope it opens on time.  Fall 2016 will likely be our last trip to WDW for a good while.  Mom will be 90, and we probably won't be able to leave her too long.  We'll need new tires on Dolly that we won't be able to afford.  Many reasons why we'll be only traveling close to home.

Hmmm.  I had this idea that this show would be like a parade on the water, traveling around the Tree of Life.

But, they're clearly building a Big A** Viewing Area (BAVA) all around that little lake between Flame Tree and Expedition Everest.

It's going to be more like World of Color at DCA- only with seating for guests.  I'm sure they'll have FP+ seating, and probably one of those restaurant/preferred seating packages for guests to buy.

One thing I don't like about this is that it will generate a huge mob of guests leaving the park at the same time.  Yuck.

TCD

Tri-Circle-D, on 20 Aug 2014 - 3:37 PM, said:snapback.png

And, here we are in the AK.

I know that Camp Minnie Mickey is closed and under construction, but I didn't know about these walls they had up around the Tree of Life and the old Tip Board:

81814001_zpsae4a9bb4.jpg

The entrance to It's Tough to Be a Bug was also walled-off:

81814002_zps542a87d7.jpg

Anyone know what's going on here?

TCD

If we get a hurricane in the area and the home centers run out of plywood I know where I'm going.  
  • 2 weeks later...

More concept art and info that came out of the D23 Expo today, reported by Orlando Theme Park News...

As part of the largest expansion in the park’s history, Disney’s Animal Kingdom will immerse guests into the world of Pandora, and the entire park will transform after dark with new nighttime entertainment experiences, offering guests longer days than ever before to experience this fantastic, one-of-a-kind theme park.
Some very interesting new details about these new offerings (including Rivers of Light) were released at the D23 Expo during a Parks & Resort presentation.

“Rivers of Light” – Expected to open next spring, “Rivers of Light” will be an innovative experience unlike anything ever seen in a Disney park, combining live music, floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery. “Rivers of Light” will magically come to life on the natural stage of Discovery River, delighting guests and truly capping off a full day of adventures at Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

0PflUlk.jpg

While the show will start with some small special effects (Joe Rhode even joked about this, saying that some Guests may complain at first, thinking they are just looking at "candles"), the experience will continue to build up to reach a truly amazing finale, which will include incredible projections on the Tree of Life, amazing special effects, and much more. Hundreds of "fireflies" will also help light up the Tree of Life.

Kilimanjaro Safaris – This popular attraction will be extended for a new nighttime adventure next spring, where guests will travel through the African savanna amid the magically extended orange glow of the setting sun and discover two species new to the attraction: African wild dogs and hyenas.

Pandora: The World of AVATAR – Disney’s Animal Kingdom guests will journey into the magnificent world of Pandora at this new AVATAR-themed land – a world that includes floating mountains, a bioluminescent forest and the winged creatures known as Banshees, giving guests a transformational experience they will never forget.

MU2lpNQ.jpg

The entire land will come alive at night, thanks to special effects that Guests will be able to experience in every corner of this fantastic world, including some surprises that will be seen around the walkways!

PHOTOS: ©2015 Disney. All Rights Reserved.

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/08/new-details-on-animal-kingdoms-new.html

A new post today from the Disney Parks Blog...

We just shared new details on nighttime entertainment experiences coming soon to Disney’s Animal Kingdom, including the nighttime show “Rivers of Light” and Sunset Kilimanjaro Safaris.

ROL181501.jpg

New details on “Rivers of Light” were just unveiled, telling guests more about the show that will take place on Discovery River at the park, between Discovery Island and Expedition Everest. The entertainment experience will combine live performers with floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery.

“This is going to be a ceremonial event that will happen on our lake,” said Imagineer Joe Rohde. “It takes the idea of the special nature of the animals that are in this park and turns it into a celebration of the beauty of these animals. It starts simply and humbly, continues to unfold and grow as bigger and more elaborate lanterns appear, and then huge curtains of water and light emerge from the water with animals within them. And ultimately it takes off into the sky.”

New details were also shared on Sunset Kilimanjaro Safaris, a new nighttime adventure that will allow guests to travel through the African savanna amid the orange glow of the setting sun.

Guests visiting the attraction after dark will also discover two species on the savanna: African wild dogs and hyenas.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/08/new-details-released-on-rivers-of-light-sunset-kilimanjaro-safaris-at-disneys-animal-kingdom/

• 4 weeks later...

Construction update with lots of photos has been posted by OTPN.

Rivers of Light Update: New Amphitheater Details
Wednesday, September 09, 2015 | Posted by OTPN Administrator

The new Rivers of Light amphitheater continues to take shape at a fast pace.

As you will see in the following photos, plenty of work has been done since our last visit to the park, as new details can now be seen on the benches that make up the majority of this open-air theater and more pipes continues to be installed around the seating area. In addition to that, the rockwork on the new island seems to be almost done, and the show's tech booths are being enclosed.

Full article with photos...

http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2015/09/rivers-of-light-update-new-amphitheater.html

• 3 weeks later...

From Theme Park Tourist...

Although no opening date has been specified, barges containing props and equipment for the show have been spied on the river and construction is easily visible from the newly reopened Flame Tree Barbecue restaurant. In addition, "dress rehearsals" are being held after hours which include full audio effects, suggesting that much of the show portion of Rivers of Light has been completed. Though we haven't heard official confirmation yet, inside sources reveal that this project is actually ahead of schedule and could open as early as 2016, a full year before its original 2017 target opening date.

http://www.themeparktourist.com/news/20151001/30572/25-new-attractions-shops-and-restaurants-coming-walt-disney-world-2021-october?page=3

• 1 month later...

Yet more new details were posted on the Disney Parks Blog today:

When our new nighttime experience “Rivers of Light” opens at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, it’ll be one of the most memorable and emotionally stirring shows in the park’s history. And today we’re sharing a sneak peek at some of the amazing sights the show will offer when it debuts in spring 2016.

RPLR5806802.jpg

The show will take place on Discovery River between Discovery Island and Expedition Everest – take a close look and you can you see the Tree of Life in the background. In “Rivers of Light,” a pair of mystical hosts come to the river bearing gifts of light. During the show, the hosts set out from the shore on elaborate lantern vessels for a dramatic dance of water and light to summon animal spirits. With the storytellers as your guides, the wonders of “Rivers of Light” builds to a stunning crescendo.

ROLR4896893.jpg

In addition to the show, you’ll also notice the park’s iconic Tree of Life will undergo an amazing awakening as the animal spirits of the tree are brought to “light” by magical fireflies, revealing moments of wonder and enchantment.

To create “Rivers of Light,” Imagineers and Creative Entertainment partnered with the talents of master puppet designer Michael Curry, composer Mark Mancina and the filmmakers at Disneynature. According to Imagineer Joe Rohde, the addition of “Rivers of Light” to the park’s offerings will serve as that huge “wow” moment that ends a guest’s visit to the park.

We look forward to sharing even more about the new nighttime experiences at Disney’s Animal Kingdom in the coming months, right here on Disney Parks Blog.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/11/new-details-unveiled-on-disneys-animal-kingdoms-rivers-of-light-nighttime-spectacular/

The more they say about it, the more it sounds just like the World of Color show at Disney's California Adventure, except they will show projections on the Tree of Life instead of Mickey's Wheel of Death.

TCD