How are the flys and mosquitoes at the fort?

We just left on Thursday and they were spraying for mosquitoes, but it was still pretty bad.   They were moving people from some areas.  I have never seen so much standing water as I had this trip, and it rained almost every day for an hour or two.  Some days we got 3 or more inches in that time frame.

We just left on Thursday and they were spraying for mosquitoes, but it was still pretty bad. They were moving people from some areas. I have never seen so much standing water as I had this trip, and it rained almost every day for an hour or two. Some days we got 3 or more inches in that time frame.

Wow! That SMB! Yuck!

In addition to it being very hot, June thru Sept is also the rainy season. Anyone coming down during that time, in addition to being out of their mind, should know that by now as it's not your first rodeo. With lots of rain comes bugs.

So stay away from Orlando. I don't need you here, and don't want you here.

There is absolutely no reason, none, to come down in the summer. And I don't want to hear you whine that it's because your brats, and they are all brats, are not in school. Or that it's because the couch potato that you're married to, can only take time off from the high paying Walmart job during the summer. Dump him.

I have found them to be friendly and cordial.

Indeed.  The Fort mosquitos have previously invited me out for dinner as the guest of honor (and main course.)  Apparently I'm wagyu beef to the insect foodie crowd.

Most stays I don't remember having too much trouble with them.  Of course, I rarely visit during the summer.  Sorry to hear about the standing water -- that's killed us here in Middle Georgia this year too.

so... you're saying.... bring lots of bug spray? LOL. We're going tomorrow for our first time for two days. It was a spur of the moment kind of plan... I figure if it's bad, it'll be the worst experience ever and can only get better.

No, it's not that bad. You'll be fine.

In addition to it being very hot, June thru Sept is also the rainy season. Anyone coming down during that time, in addition to being out of their mind, should know that by now as it's not your first rodeo. With lots of rain comes bugs.

So stay away from Orlando. I don't need you here, and don't want you here.

There is absolutely no reason, none, to come down in the summer. And I don't want to hear you whine that it's because your brats, and they are all brats, are not in school. Or that it's because the couch potato that you're married to, can only take time off from the high paying Walmart job during the summer. Dump him.

Kids?  I am suppose to bring my kids?   ??? 

I have been diligently studying these boards since I joined and have learned that Disney is no place for them.  

Thank you Mo for educating me about this.   :heartsmiley: 

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last weekend 8/16 -8/18.  Flies were worse than mosquitos, but easier to kill.  They were slow and you could swat them when they landed on you to dine.

I didn't get any mosquito bites until Saturday evening at the site.

The Tampa newspaper had an article yesterday that they are worse this year because we had 2 fairly dry years previously and a lot of eggs laid dormant.

This year with all of the rain the 2 previous years plus this years batch all hatched.

We had a citronella candle and one of those Off gadgets you hook on your belt going, along with a couple of different types of spray on protection.

What have others found to be effective?

We were there last week and honestly they weren't as bad as they are here in NC. I was surprised at how well behaved they were. Maybe they just preferred the taste of our tent camping neighbors? Or maybe it had something to do with the lovely alligator DH and DBIL saw swimming in the canal between the pool and the 1300 loop. He was the friendly sort and even stopped and turned to say hi to them.

I figure since they sell them at the trading post they're ok.

And, I think that is a very logical assumption.

But, the Fort Rangers do not operate based on logic.

This is a quote from CK2's very excellent trip report from earlier this year:

On a side note, later in the trip we had a neighbor come down to our site who was locked out of their TT.  They had stepped outside and somehow the door locked behind them.  We couldn’t figure out how that could happen, but somehow it did.  They borrowed every tool I could find but still couldn’t get in.  I think about every Fort maintenance worker ended up at their site trying to help them (and totally blocked the loop and parked all up on the grass).  They eventually had to call a locksmith. 

While one of the Fort rangers was there trying to “help”, he couldn’t help himself but to scold them.  They had a little citronella candle, the kind in the bucket, burning on the table. 

He made them put it out because it was an open flame.

Seriously.

Way to kick them while they are down.

The fact that an idiot Ranger required a guest to extinguish a citronella candle does not mean that they aren't allowed.  I have seen those idiots harass the paying customers over many things which are not rule violations, while at the same time ignoring things that are rule violations.  In case you don't know, they're a bunch of idiots.

I think I used the open flame rules handout to start the fire.

LOL!

TCD

And, I think that is a very logical assumption.

But, the Fort Rangers do not operate based on logic.

This is a quote from CK2's very excellent trip report from earlier this year:

The fact that an idiot Ranger required a guest to extinguish a citronella candle does not mean that they aren't allowed.  I have seen those idiots harass the paying customers over many things which are not rule violations, while at the same time ignoring things that are rule violations.  In case you don't know, they're a bunch of idiots.

LOL!

TCD

Don't even mention a Tiki torch. They will say on the site until they are put out and put away.  I had a neighbor that lived across the street from me get thrown out of FW for having Tiki torches burning and refusing to put them out. He had been arm wrestling with mister Budweiser all day.  It was the second day of a 3 week trip.  He was stupid to keep arguing with the FW staff.  He had the site and a golf cart rented  for 3 weeks and they gave all his money back told him to get out and not come back for a year.  I think the discussion got a little personal, he hated the FW manager at the time and that is who happened to be there onsite along with a couple sheriff cars. I was amazed he got all his money back but that was his story.  

Don't even mention a Tiki torch. They will say on the site until they are put out and put away.  I had a neighbor that lived across the street from me get thrown out of FW for having Tiki torches burning and refusing to put them out. He had been arm wrestling with mister Budweiser all day.  It was the second day of a 3 week trip.  He was stupid to keep arguing with the FW staff.  He had the site and a golf cart rented  for 3 weeks and they gave all his money back told him to get out and not come back for a year.  I think the discussion got a little personal, he hated the FW manager at the time and that is who happened to be there onsite along with a couple sheriff cars. I was amazed he got all his money back but that was his story.  

Tiki torches have been on the banned list for a while.  They've been really inconsistent with enforcing that rule too.  But, it is printed in the guide that they give you at check-in, so your neighbor picked the wrong battle.  He must have been quite the jerk to management to wind up getting the boot.  I've never had a problem with bugs at the Fort, so I have no intention of buying or using one of those citronella candles that they sell in the Trading Post, but I would be interested to see what happens if a guest tells a Ranger to stuff it when asked to extinguish a candle purchased at the Trading Post.

TCD