The one I used a few years ago came in a brief case size box, but consisted of a power supply, the modem, some cables, and an instruction sheet.  as I recall, the modem was only a few inches roughly square.  Of course I will defer to Lou's extensive experience staying at the Fort.  What's that? Only three times?  Buddy and Gail deserve more Fort time.  :wave1:

Same kit...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/info/internet-access-at-fort-wilderness-r238

Unless you're very close to the Meadows or Settlement, there's still no reliable WiFi in the camping loops.

As Steve said, wired access through the modem works fine, and is at least now free, but don't expect super speedy connectivity.

Also you cannot reserve the modems.  It's first come, first serve.

• 2 weeks later...

We just left the 1800 loop and there was no signal.

Got 2 to 3 bars at the campfire movie.

I thought they had signal at all the loops.

We were in the cabins a year ago and had it there.  Guess I was just spoiled staying in those.

There is no Wi-Fi in the camping loops.  If your campsite is near one of the cabins, or the trading posts, you may be able to pick up a signal.  Otherwise, for the campsites, you have to use one of the cable modems loaned out by the front desk.

TCD

...I thought they had signal at all the loops.

Sadly no.  There have been a lot of excuses as to why that hasn't happened yet, but so far the only thing for sure is that WiFi is still not in all the camping loops.

As TCD said, unless you're near the cabins or TPs, you probably will not pick up a usable signal.

More info on modems, etc. here...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/info/internet-access-at-fort-wilderness-r238

Sadly no. There have been a lot of excuses as to why that hasn't happened yet, but so far the only thing for sure is that WiFi is still not in all the camping loops.

Every tech I have talked to all say the same thing. The trees will not let them get even coverage to all sites without a prolifferation of antennas.

Here's a quote from a "tech" site:

"Its not the trunks that are the problem, it is the leaves. They willkill the signal stone dead. You really do need a clear, as in empty,line of sight, and it is not a tunnel, but rather two cones thatmeet at the middle (the wide bit of the cone where they meet). This isknown as the fresnel zone, and it must be clear. Assume that where thecones meet it must be several meters across."

Where's "Super Geek" when we need him? :)

Every tech I have talked to all say the same thing. The trees will not let them get even coverage to all sites without a prolifferation of antennas.

Here's a quote from a "tech" site:

"Its not the trunks that are the problem, it is the leaves. They willkill the signal stone dead. You really do need a clear, as in empty,line of sight, and it is not a tunnel, but rather two cones thatmeet at the middle (the wide bit of the cone where they meet). This isknown as the fresnel zone, and it must be clear. Assume that where thecones meet it must be several meters across."

Where's "Super Geek" when we need him? :)

So, a Wi-Fi signal can go through walls, but not through leaves?

I need a super geek to explain that one to me.

If they can provide every cabin with Wi-Fi then they can do it on the camping sites too.  If they really wanted to, that is.

TCD

Tri-Circle-D, on 19 Aug 2013 - 3:46 PM, said:

So, a Wi-Fi signal can go through walls, but not through leaves?

I need a super geek to explain that one to me.

If they can provide every cabin with Wi-Fi then they can do it on the camping sites too. If they really wanted to, that is.

TCD

Same thing happens with a Sat signal. That is why you can't get sat while under a tree, you need to find a hole in the canopy.

As to the Cabins each has it's own wireless router connected to the cable TV, just like you connect the modem at you site when you get one from the TP. The routers are under the TV on a little shelf. Don't know how they would do that on each site since you need 110v for each as well. Putting them in the cabin was a piece of cake. If you are on the 100 loop you get great wifi on the sites near the cabins.

Same thing happens with a Sat signal. That is why you can't get sat while under a tree, you need to find a hole in the canopy.

As to the Cabins each has it's own wireless router connected to the cable TV, just like you connect the modem at you site when you get one from the TP. The routers are under the TV on a little shelf. Don't know how they would do that on each site since you need 110v for each as well. Putting them in the cabin was a piece of cake. If you are on the 100 loop you get great wifi on the sites near the cabins.

I'm not sure Wi-Fi is like a satellite signal. A Wi-Fi signal goes through walls, right?  I don't think a satellite signal can.

If they wanted to, they could figure out a way to put a wireless router on each site.  Or at least scatter a few around the loops.  But, they don't want to.  And, I don't want them to.  They would pass the costs off with another price increase.

TCD

I'm not sure Wi-Fi is like a satellite signal. A Wi-Fi signal goes through walls, right?  I don't think a satellite signal can.

TCD

Trees and leaves also affect Digital TV signal all 3 are RF signals, but since all are at different frequencies all are affected differently. Here is something to read between TR updates.   :rofl3:

http://www.jpier.org/PIER/pier105/18.10042605.pdf

Trees and leaves also affect Digital TV signal all 3 are RF signals, but since all are at different frequencies all are affected differently. Here is something to read between TR updates.   :rofl3:

http://www.jpier.org/PIER/pier105/18.10042605.pdf

With all due respect to Mr. Yeng and Mr. Lee of Singapore, there is no way I'm reading that.

I stopped at the author's names.

I'll take your word for it, Dave.

TCD

TCD

I agree with you. Satellite is line of site. You have to aim your dish. Wi-fi, cellular, am/fm work on omnidirectional radio signal. The wavelength dictates what it can permeate.

Well, one simple way would be to put a wireless router at every other camp site where you would plug in the modem co-axle at the electrical post.  Ta-da!! wireless

at the camping loops!!  And you might not even need that many routers.  It would need to be protected from the elements but that wouldn't be too hard.

Well, one simple way would be to put a wireless router at every other camp site where you would plug in the modem co-axle at the electrical post.  Ta-da!! wireless

at the camping loops!!  And you might not even need that many routers.  It would need to be protected from the elements but that wouldn't be too hard.

Exactly what I'm talking about.  At the universities my daughters attend, there is Wi-Fi that is available all over the campus.  And there are lots of trees and buildings all over the place. 

If they really wanted to, there are ways to provide Wi-Fi throughout the campground.

As a matter of fact, the last time I checked, there is a secure wireless network signal that must be used by Disney, and is not accessible to guests.  I've picked that up on several different camping loops.

Clearly, they just don't want to spend the money it would take to provide the Wi-Fi.  Why should they?  The Fort is a cash cow.  Raise prices. Reduce services and amenities. And us suckers keep coming back.

TCD

I hope they never put wifi throughout the Fort.  That remains my last line of defense against my kids bringing their devices with them.  And then they disappear into their bunks instead of sitting under the awning with their old man.  

WiFi = less family time. 

This is my thought. Our January trip will most likely be my last vacation while all five of our kids are living at home and I look forward to spending time with them. I kind of hope that we can all avoid our technology for a couple of days. 

This is my thought. Our January trip will most likely be my last vacation while all five of our kids are living at home and I look forward to spending time with them. I kind of hope that we can all avoid our technology for a couple of days. 

That was our trip this May/June.  Oldest son left for college on August 1st, he plays soccer.  The DW and I are thinking that was the last family vacation with all of the kids. :(

That was our trip this May/June.  Oldest son left for college on August 1st, he plays soccer.  The DW and I are thinking that was the last family vacation with all of the kids. :(

I was hoping we could do a summer trip but he has decided to do a summer semester so January will most likely be it. And then after that the other four will follow behind quickly. :(