It's official... we're going cruising!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, just to update this post, we're sailing on Royal Caribbean. I'm actually OK with it. Jason got really excited looking at a video made by people on the same cruise we'll do. That's the most excit

Congrats and enjoy the anticipation! Looking forward to a RC TR in 2014-15!!! With lots of pood forn of course. Is Z going too? There will be lots of hot chick pics if so for all you single fiends out

Big difference in our experience.

To be fair, we've only sailed each once, quite a while ago.  We did a 7 day land/sea package on DCL (so 4 days on the ship) and an 11 day on RC that went to Key West, Cozumel, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Aruba and Curacao.

Both of us felt the ship, room, service, food... pretty much everything on DCL was several notches above RC.  We didn't have any bad experiences on RC, and if we'd never been on DCL we probably wouldn't have known the difference.

Are the characters at meals? Around the boat? I've never really been clear on that.

The princesses hold meet and greets in the main atrium.  On our day in Nassau, there was one at 9am I think, and then one in the early afternoon.  The early one was packed as people wanted to see them and then leave the ship.  We did not disembark that day, so we had few crowds for the afternoon greet.  Lots of good princess time....including some hugs from Ms White for me.  :) 

There are also ample opportunities to meet Mickey, Minnie and the rest of the main characters at scheduled greets around the ship.  You don't typically see them just roaming.  But there were plenty of opportunities.  All schedules greets are announced in the daily Navigator, the newsletter that is delivered to your cabin each evening for the next day. 

The characters do not come to meals, unless I am forgetting any. 

I'm not sure we can afford the best. Ha ha

It might mean a 4 night Disney vs a 5-7 night RC. I'm just wondering what the differences are (besides characters).

Best rated customer service in the industry. Free soft drinks 24/7 (other ships you have to buy individual or a mug/sticker). Bring your own liquor (if you drink). Zak will have so much to do he will not be able to do it all (and the CM's wil take care of him while mom and dad enjoy the ship) The list goes on and on.

Our son, DIL and 3 children were on the Oasis of the Seas last year and DCL the year before and they said there was absolutely no comparison.

It might mean a 4 night Disney vs a 5-7 night RC. I'm just wondering what the differences are (besides characters).

Disney cabins have a split bath - shower separate - which can be helpful getting multiple people ready in the morning.  They also tend to be somewhat larger than RC cabins.

Service on DCL was top notch.  In our case I had a bad back at the time and needed a cold pack at night.  There was no freezer in the room fridge but our steward said we could leave the pack in the sink and he'd keep it on ice. Every single time we came back to the room the sink was full of ice - and yet we almost never saw him.  Dining servers were super friendly and if you made even a hint a something you liked, it was there.

RC service was fine, but just not as good.  They'd get you what you wanted, but you had to track someone down to ask. On DCL it seemed like there were just there and waiting to be able to do something for you.

We also ran across more than a few groups of crew on RC (at the bar, in the halls, etc) standing around kvetching. 

Had we never been on DCL we would have thought RC was just fine, but by comparison it was definitely a few notches below.

I've sailed on Royal Caribbean a bunch of times.  Other lines too.

But our last six cruises have all been on DCL.  I wouldn't even think of taking my kids on one of the other lines.

If you're trying to be economical, scratch the verandah.  It's wonderful to have one, but for the cost, it isn't worth it in my opinion.  Especially on a shorter cruise.  Everyone will tell you that you spend little time in your cabin, and it's true.  I've only sprung for the verandah once.  I liked having it, but it cost me $1000 just to have the verandah over what it would have cost for just an oceanview cabin.  Not worth it.

Disney ships allow you to carry on as much alcohol as you like.  And, they have free room service.  None of the other cruise lines I've sailed offered this.

Your family loves Disney.  I promise you, you'll love the Disney Cruise.

TCD

I would also scratch the verandah, but not only for cost.  When we did our DCL cruise, I actually could have gotten verandah cabins cheaper than I paid for oceanview, but decided against it.  Anna is a climber and has NO fear.  The thought of it freaked me out, and I wouldn't have fully relaxed in our cabins.  I don't know if you would have those concerns with Z, but just wanted to give another perspective based on my experience. 

I'm with TCD, skip the verandah, unless Z is going to nap every day and go to bed early and you see you and Jason spending a lot of time

Out there. We haven't done a cruise with Adam yet, but we had a balcony once and have gone with interior rooms ever since. You are never in your room. For us, Adam is normally so tired once he is asleep, we can watch tv and talk and it never bothers him in a normal hotel room.

I'd honestly start with a shorter cruise, I always feel its better to leave vacation wanting more and not wishing it was over. Plus, lord help you if someone gets seasick. I like 7 nighters but Brian is done by 5 nights and wants off.