I have been camping at Fort Wilderness since the 1970s but have never requested a specific loop.  I have rather enjoyed driving in and enjoying the surprise!

However, on my last visit I fell completely in love with the 1500 loop.  For those of you who request specific loops, what method have you found most effective?  I have had great success when I stayed at the resort hotels by faxing a request letter to the front desk a few days before arrival. 

What works for you?  Cottontail Curl or bust!

I have found the best thing to do is request that loop, then IF they have it available, they will give it to you.  You may have to wait a while if you get there early or if a group comes in, that may lessen your chances.  The 1500 loop is more often requested of the 2 partial loops and there are only 20 sites in that loop as opposed to the 2000 loop, which has 69 sites.  They kind of hold back the low numbered sites because some people do not like being near the bus stop, so tell them you would even accept one of those.  In most cases, they try to honor it.  I would estimate success at better than 50/50 in my experience.  I've dealt with it a few times....lol.

We have always just put the request on the resi. We are locals so we do a lot of weekend and long weekend trips. I always ask for 1500 for a partial or 1700 for a full hook up and we only get our request maybe 10% of the time. However on our 7 day or longer trips we almost always get our request. I have read on here that a lot of people fax in request about 4 days before their arrival date.  What has worked best for us is to check in early so if we really don't like the site there are other left to choose from and just asked to be moved.  But on a one or 2 day trip we really don't care especially if we get a golf cart.   

we requested the 1300 loop for last week. We booked through AAA. They put the request on the reservation. I called a month out and the day before to confirm the request. Both times it was confirmed. Arrived the morning of and they tried to put me in 700 loop where there was a ready site. I looked the site up on my handy dandy fort fiends site app and didn't want the site. I told them no and I wanted my request. they did give me a 1300 site after some argument but I did have go wait a few hours for it.

Thanks, everyone!  It looks like what I have done with the hotels should work about the same with the Fort.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to arrive early this time.  To squeeze in an extra day, we have to leave after school on our first day.  Luckily, we have had great times in the 2000 loop too, so if we don't get our beloved Cottontail Curl we will be just fine!

Thanks again for the tips!

Not sure if people already know this, but you can add some loop/site request information to your reservation by doing Online Check-in. You can't provide really specific information, but you are given these options...

OnlineCheckin-Request-1.jpg

This is the Room Ready Request info in the "i" popup...

If you would like a room before standard check-in time (1:00 PM), we will make every attempt to provide one, but please note it may be difficult to meet any special requests due to room occupancy the previous evening. If having your room ready prior to standard check-in time is more important than other special requests, check the box and we will put a priority on locating one of the first available clean rooms for your arrival.

OK I found it. Just never noticed it before. Has it always been there. I guess I thought it would be too late to be making request at check in time. I don't normally do  on line check in until the day before we leave. Same info is on my resi hope this helps us get our request.  

OK I found it. Just never noticed it before. Has it always been there. I guess I thought it would be too late to be making request at check in time. I don't normally do  on line check in until the day before we leave. Same info is on my resi hope this helps us get our request.  

The ability to request a loop like that is definitely new.  I wonder how well it works?

TCD

I'm not sure how long it's been there.  It wasn't there when I did online check-in for our trip last November.

I did online check-in for our October trip today and noticed it.

I guess we'll see if it helps or not - although we'll still be sending our usual fax in a few days before.

Oh and...

59 days until we're at the Fort!!!!  :stars-shower-smiley:

I'm not sure how long it's been there.  It wasn't there when I did online check-in for our trip last November.

I did online check-in for our October trip today and noticed it.

I guess we'll see if it helps or not - although we'll still be sending our usual fax in a few days before.

Oh and...

59 days until we're at the Fort!!!!  :stars-shower-smiley:

If you click on pet loop, it doesn't look like it eliminates the non-pet loops.

And it says you can only make two requests, but it looks like it let you make three?

TCD

The "accommodates fold-out awning" option was actually in there already from when I made the original reservation, so it let me pick 2 more on top of that.

And you're right - clicking "pet loop" didn't seem to preclude you picking any loop you wanted, although I didn't test it out as I knew I wanted 300.

• 2 months later...

I just faxed over my site request for December, using the fax letter Fort Fiends provides. Thank you for so many helpful tips and hints. We requested Loop 1600, in particular site 1619. However, in looking at the Google Earth stuff provided by Fort Fiends, it appears that site backs-up to a major road. On the Fort Fiends app, all I see are trees behind this site. What am I missing? And should I be worried with a 2-year-old?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jaime

I just faxed over my site request for December, using the fax letter Fort Fiends provides. Thank you for so many helpful tips and hints. We requested Loop 1600, in particular site 1619. However, in looking at the Google Earth stuff provided by Fort Fiends, it appears that site backs-up to a major road. On the Fort Fiends app, all I see are trees behind this site. What am I missing? And should I be worried with a 2-year-old?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jaime

Major road?

No.

1619 is mid-way around the loop.  There's trees and then a canal behind the site.  Not even a non-major road.

TCD

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm that putting your requests and/or the faxing of your requests works.  Not only did I get the loop I wanted, I got my top pick of sites.

Did you call ahead of time to make sure or just saw when you got there? If you called ahead of time, what number did you use? We called the Fort number today (our trip is 5 days away) and it went to a call center. 

We faxed our request about a month ago, along with the online check-in.

Ah, ok. Welp, I can try again on Monday. My husband told the person at the call center the spot/loop we wanted. No clue if that will help, either. 

general consensus is that you should fax about 4-5 days prior to check in - much sooner than that and it's unlikely the fax will hang around long enough to get to the person that assigns sites