• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

She is not into D&B purses which is lucky for me.  I'm running out of internal organs to sell to afford my Disney trips and races.       And it's one of the reasons I have gotten so into this foru

Further proof of my rationality:   From the Disney Marathon a few years ago:   Yes, that's me running as Tigger.  Case closed.

If you thought the Tigger picture was scary, here's my outfit from the 5K during marathon weekend this past January.  I had people stopping me, taking pictures of my back, and instantly posting online

My youngest DD tried to talk me into the Glass Slipper Challenge (Princess 1/2 Marathon & 10k the next day), but I had to say no! I did agree to do the Enchanted 10k with her. I definitely will not be running the entire thing since I'm really more of a walker. I'm excited about doing it, but very nervous too because the most I've ever done is a 5k.

You'll do great!  The 10K is a very manageable distance and you will have plenty of other people walking throughout the race.

That's awesome you wore a costume!

A lot of people do.  I made mine out of running clothes so I would be comfortable.  Running as Tigger is like being a rock star.  People watching the race go crazy when you come by.  I enjoyed the attention so much that I wore the costume for the next year's marathon as well.

Some of the runners really go all out.  I saw a couple running in matching spandex Incredibles suits.  They got a lot of attention too.  Very different attention than me as you might guess. :laugh:

But as far as the number of people who are touched positively by the event (well more than 20,000 apiece for the half and full marathons)

This is a very good point. I have read a ton of blogs about people who only started to run just for the fact of doing a Disney race. Really that's my motivation too because sweating is not high on my fun list lol. Remind me of this after I have my baby.

What a sense of humor you have.

You haven't met any of us yet, have you?

Have you seen the movie Wall-e? That's us.

lol, this is coming from a guy who's met more of us than most. I'd believe him if I were you.

If you see me running, you'd better run too because something really big & nasty is chasing me... either that, or they just opened the Disney Dooney marathon purse sales! :holysheep:

Besides, think of the huge amount of guilt-free food and drink you can consume after burning off all those calories. :doublebeer:

I suspect you missed the point. Think of those limited edition marathon purses!! :stars-shower-smiley:  

Even just watching and cheering on the runners is quite an experience.  The look of pure joy that comes over the runners' faces when they come from backstage onto Main Street is something to see.

you mean as they pass Uptown Jewelers and see the Disney dooney & bourke purses right?? :smug:

did I mention there are limited edition DD&B purses for three of the marathons? :dogsnicker:

lol, this is coming from a guy who's met more of us than most. I'd believe him if I were you.

If you see me running, you'd better run too because something really big & nasty is chasing me... either that, or they just opened the Disney Dooney marathon purse sales! :holysheep:

I suspect you missed the point. Think of those limited edition marathon purses!! :stars-shower-smiley:

you mean as they pass Uptown Jewelers and see the Disney dooney & bourke purses right?? :smug:

did I mention there are limited edition DD&B purses for three of the marathons? :dogsnicker:

Do I sense a theme here....

Edited due to iPad eating my comment.

For any of you that were planning to be at WDW during Marathon weekend, I'd rethink that.

You will be inconvenienced, delayed, frustrated, and annoyed, more than once by the crazies. And it won't be just during the running events.

This is my fear, we booked our trip before we realized the marathon was going on. It was the only week in January or February that we could find a reservation for the 6 days we planned on being there. Our last day is Friday so I am assuming it's best to just avoid Epcot that day. We are trying to decide if we should check out as early as possible and drive the trailer over to Magic Kingdom but since we have never driven a trailer there we are unsure what to do. 

Also when I saw it was marathon weekend I so wanted to do the 5K with my family but unfortunately it is sold out, oh well. 

So any hints that I should know about to avoid madness on Thursday and Friday would be appreciated. We have an autistic son and if I know what to expect I can prepare him. Thanks. 

So any hints that I should know about to avoid madness on Thursday and Friday would be appreciated. We have an autistic son and if I know what to expect I can prepare him. Thanks. 

If Friday before the marathon is your last day, you should be ok. It's the marathon weekend that you would be concerned about.

It's the 1/2, and full marathon that create the biggest transportation problems.

The other races start and finish in Epcot.

I don't think you need to make special plans.

If Friday before the marathon is your last day, you should be ok. It's the marathon weekend that you would be concerned about.

It's the 1/2, and full marathon that create the biggest transportation problems.

The other races start and finish in Epcot.

I don't think you need to make special plans.

Thanks! That is what I was thinking, one less thing to worry about. :)

You probably do not even have to worry about completely avoiding Epcot on Thursday and Friday.  Both races start early and should be largely cleared away before too far into the morning. 

However, avoid ESPN Wide World of Sports from about Thursday on.  That place is insane with packet pickup and the kids races.

I am planning to do the Dopey challenge in 2015.  We didn't have the funds for the fees or the trip for me to try it 2014 and I figure this gives me plenty of time to train.  I'm getting ready for a 1/2 marathon here in November and I already have a post-it with my Dopey training start date stuck to my computer monitor.  This will be my first running experience at Disney so I'm sooooooo looking forward to it all!

Excellent!  You will absolutely LOVE running at Disney.  Congratulations on going for Dopey!   I really wanted to run it this year, but the price nearly made me pass out.  I had to sell a kidney to afford the Goofy Challenge as it was.  (Okay, not really, but it felt like it.)

It looks like I will be there as a spectator.   My daughter and her husband have signed up for the Goofy Challenge and we may be at the finish line for the marathon portion.  FW looks to be pretty full with only premium sites left.  I think the guy who thought this whole running thing up is a genius.  If DW put him on profit sharing he should be a very rich man/woman.  30,000 runners at $400 a head plus added room rentals, and the vendor area at the All Star Sports center.  The property is pulling in this kind of money when the parks are normally closed and you don't have to staff the rides or restaurants.  Pure Genius.  Unless you are a bus driver.  I am amazed at how much money people will spend to torture themselves.  I bet DW could take over Guantanamo and make a profit.

Very true indeed.  I'm convinced Disney could double the price on the marathon or half marathon and still sell out. (I hope runDisney is not reading this!) It would just take a few additional months.  As it is the marathon and half marathon cost the same now.  The marathon is actually priced in the ballpark of the other major marathons like Chicago, New York, Boston, and Marine Corps.  The half is crazy expensive in comparison, but it usually sells out first.  The distance is just more accessible.

They need to start being careful though.  I think they have about squeezed as many people into it as the infrastructure can support. (Barely.)

If you thought the Tigger picture was scary, here's my outfit from the 5K during marathon weekend this past January.  I had people stopping me, taking pictures of my back, and instantly posting online throughout the morning.  Those who got the joke, anyway.  I had a number of people run beside me for awhile asking me to explain what it meant.

Cheeseburger shirt and hat:

IMG_1418a.jpg

This sign was attached to my back:

IMG_1417a.jpg

The best question I got was, "Is that a restaurant from where you live?"    My answer?  "Well, yes...in a way."

We were there during one of the Marathons a couple of years ago and it was horrible.  Trying to get food was an experience.  No matter where you went you were waiting with dozens of runners.  And you hear them ALL discussing their times, etc. and thinking those medals were a reason they should get special attention.    Now I admire anyone who can run those things and am proud to see those that finish and even those who try but they are not any more important to Disney than all of us are.   And let's face it...most of them are there for only a couple of days anyway whereas we are all there for much longer and spend more money.     Just my humble thinking anyway.  :user2552:

We were there during one of the Marathons a couple of years ago and it was horrible.  Trying to get food was an experience.  No matter where you went you were waiting with dozens of runners.  And you hear them ALL discussing their times, etc. and thinking those medals were a reason they should get special attention.    Now I admire anyone who can run those things and am proud to see those that finish and even those who try but they are not any more important to Disney than all of us are.   And let's face it...most of them are there for only a couple of days anyway whereas we are all there for much longer and spend more money.     Just my humble thinking anyway. 

Don't worry, Disney has special techniques to get the runners to spend as much as the year-round guests in only one weekend.  It's amazing, effective, and terrifying.

As a member of both groups -- the marathon runners and those that come all through the year -- I sympathize.  Runners have some obnoxious habits -- and talking ad nauseum about their times is only one of the more minor ones.  You should see (or not) how some runners blow their noses while running. :barf:

The Disney Marathon has a reputation of being annoying to hardcore runners because of the many people in the race who do not understand basic runner etiquette.  For a LOT of these folks, it's their first race.   I can't blame them for wanting to wear their medals and bask in a life-changing experience.

However, there are many chances for you to be entertained at the runners' expense.  Just make yourself comfortable at a bench near the bus stop and watch marathoners try to figure out how to go up or down the bus steps with legs that no longer quite work correctly.  Hours of free entertainment for all.  You can also shout "You dropped your medal" into a crowd, watch a bunch of runners bend over trying to find it, and then see how long it takes for them to stand back up."  Comic gold.

But seriously, my wish for all of the runners (and all other visitors to Disney) is that they respect the people around them.  No accomplishment should ever override basic manners, kindness, and respect.

Don't worry, Disney has special techniques to get the runners to spend as much as the year-round guests in only one weekend.  It's amazing, effective, and terrifying.

As a member of both groups -- the marathon runners and those that come all through the year -- I sympathize.  Runners have some obnoxious habits -- and talking ad nauseum about their times is only one of the more minor ones.  You should see (or not) how some runners blow their noses while running. :barf:

The Disney Marathon has a reputation of being annoying to hardcore runners because of the many people in the race who do not understand basic runner etiquette.  For a LOT of these folks, it's their first race.   I can't blame them for wanting to wear their medals and bask in a life-changing experience.

However, there are many chances for you to be entertained at the runners' expense.  Just make yourself comfortable at a bench near the bus stop and watch marathoners try to figure out how to go up or down the bus steps with legs that no longer quite work correctly.  Hours of free entertainment for all.  You can also shout "You dropped your medal" into a crowd, watch a bunch of runners bend over trying to find it, and then see how long it takes for them to stand back up."  Comic gold.

But seriously, my wish for all of the runners (and all other visitors to Disney) is that they respect the people around them.  No accomplishment should ever override basic manners, kindness, and respect.

Once again, intelligent and rational. Ok, I'm back on your side again.

BTW, don't you feel it's time for an aka for both you and dramamama?