We are so excited for our upcoming trip to WDW in April because, well, #1 its Disney, and #2 because it will be the first time pulling and staying at Fort Wilderness in our own RV.  My DH is a little apprehensive about taking it so far. (We will be traveliing from NJ).  We plan to stop in Santee the first night and then head on to WDW the second day.

Anyway, how long is the longest you guys have traveled with yours?  I want to convince DH that it will eb ok. :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was once asked by a local camping buddy if I was really going to pull my camper ALL OF THE WAY to Orlando from north Alabama. Like that is a really long way. I told him that I keep my camper and tru

By Jove, I think I got it! :jumpforjoy

Northern Kentucky to the Fort: 884 miles each way.

We also pull our camper trailer to South Dakota (1265 miles) and to Durango Colorado (1435 miles). 

Tell DH to just take your time, don't get in a hurry and enjoy the trip, as well as the destination!

Towed from NJ to Disney in 2011 and had no problems. I actually like the ride as soon as I get around Richmond. As long as your equipment is in good shape you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Just make sure your bearings are good and greased and that you are running the proper PSI in the tires. Have fun.

Best Regards,

Norm

One trip was from Cincinnati to Manitoba across Canada to British Columbia with a stop in Calgary, South to Gilroy California back to Salt Lake City, South to Denver and then back to Cincinnati. Of course we took 3 weeks... :)

Left north of Dayton OH at 6PM, backed into our spot at the Fort 11:10 am next morning. 2 fuel stops, 1002 miles. Left lane all the way. :laugh:

We are south of Dayton.  Small world.

The first time we made multiple stops.  First night in South Kentucky to visit family, Saturday night in Eagles Roost with a Sunday morning check in at the Fort.

Second time, still the stop in Kentucky.  Left Saturday morning around 6am and drove straight through to the Fort and got in around 6pm.  In the pouring rain.  LOL  Not the most fun setting up, but we were at Disney and that was all that mattered.

How far have I gone?  I have 5 kids, so you know I've made it past 3rd base. 

Oh, c'mon.  Don't try to tell me I'm the only one who read the title of this thread and had that thought. 

Ya, I did but I have been trying to filter myself. It is a daily battle.  :rofl2:

We do it from northern MD all the time. Once you're past that DC/Richmond congestion, it's a piece of cake until you hit Jacksonville and even then it isn't bad... well, unless you're afraid of bridges like me and take the eastern beltway around the city. I have a mean towing anxiety but the route is smooth and getting familiar enough now that the past two trips have been unbelievably easy.

My one suggestion would be to be flexible about when/where you stop. While it's nice to have a goal, it's hard to predict what the road conditions will be like and how long it'll actually take. For me, having a first night destination adds pressure to make it there. The Thursday night before Memorial day it took me 3+ hours to go just over 20 miles on i95 south between Woodbridge and Fredericksburg VA and that was only in my minivan well after 8pm.

I have no experience with long trips but we are planning our first oneto FW next April. From advice on here, we are going to do about 10 hrs on day one, staying right around the I-75 & I-10 intersection. I am going to try to get a pull through site and not even disconnect the truck. Then on day two that will leave us about 3.5 hrs till we get to the fort. Go to wecamphere.com and you can trace your whole route and see camp sites along the way.

I have no experience with long trips but we are planning our first oneto FW next April. From advice on here, we are going to do about 10 hrs on day one, staying right around the I-75 & I-10 intersection. I am going to try to get a pull through site and not even disconnect the truck. Then on day two that will leave us about 3.5 hrs till we get to the fort. Go to wecamphere.com and you can trace your whole route and see camp sites along the way.

We have stopped at the KOA at Wildwood as a staging point for the Fort, decent place and within yards of the highway.