To clarify things in case anyone else has questions about how this works- all of the sites at the Fort have the same cable, whether partial, full, preferred or premium.  The OP asked about a full hook-up site, but they are all the same as far as cable TV goes.

They don't "give you a box."  You have to go to the Meadow Trading Post during normal operating hours (8 am to 10 pm) and present your Key to the World Card (resort ID) to check out a box.  You will need one box per TV, or you will need to provide your own cable and splitter to run more than one TV off of one box.  If you do that, all the TV's will have to be on the same station.  You will also need to return the box before you check out, or you will be charged $125 for it.  This could be tricky if you plan on leaving early in the morning, as the Trading Post doesn't open until 8 am.  Obviously, there are a limited number of boxes available to check out, and there could be times when there are none available. 

The boxes are only necessary if your TV is not digital.  If you have a digital TV, you can connect the cable directly, and have your TV scan for channels.

TCD

FYI

If your RV does not have a digital TV in it, you can goto any big box store and buy a digital cable converter for $20.

The box will come in handy anywhere as most OTA stations now broadcast digital. So using your antenna with the box will get you more stations as well.

There was a program a few years ago where you could get a coupon for $20 off the boxes. It was government run program and was instilled to offset the cost of the boxes since the government mandated digital broadcasting. That is how I got mine. I don't use it anymore as all new TVs are digital ready.

Does the same box do internet also?

No.  There is a separate internet kit.  That also is available for pick up at the Meadow Trading Post.  Same deal- if you don't return it $125.  Unless they got more, these are harder to come by than the cable boxes. 

FYI

If your RV does not have a digital TV in it, you can goto any big box store and buy a digital cable converter for $20.

The box will come in handy anywhere as most OTA stations now broadcast digital. So using your antenna with the box will get you more stations as well.

There was a program a few years ago where you could get a coupon for $20 off the boxes. It was government run program and was instilled to offset the cost of the boxes since the government mandated digital broadcasting. That is how I got mine. I don't use it anymore as all new TVs are digital ready.

I would be surprised if there's anyone who still has an older TV that doesn't know this.

There are many stations you can pick up over the air at the Fort with a digital antenna and one of the boxes.  But, if you want to see the Fort's cable, you must have one of their boxes.

TCD

Now I'm thinking.  I had just swapped out my second TV in the MH for a flatscreen when we decided to trade up.  Now the new MH has the old TV's with a converter at the front, and a second one I'm adding at the rear.  To make this work sorta, I'll have to get the Disney converter, select cable on one, and antenna on the other.  I currently have the Antenna and Cable-In lines connected to the video switch and the converters in the TV-out lines.  I guess the Disney converter would replace the government subsidized converter for the front TV.  Then Shawnee can watch his videos in the back...dang...now I have to get another DVD player or play it and change it from the front, with the rear TV selected to DVD.

Or I could move a satellite receiver from the house, reprogram the KingDome to DISH, and put a government subsidized converter in that line...or will the satellite receiver negate the need for the government subsidized converter?

Or, I could go buy two flat screen digital TV's and do a quick change of both.

Dang technology!  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

It only works on over the air. The cable system converter is not available at retail.

Right. I could have been a little clearer. The ones you buy in the stores are for antenna use only. The cable ones are specific to the cable companies, just as the cable modem for the internet is specific to the fort internet.  

• 4 months later...

Just made an 18 night reservation for October.  I can't use my rooftop mounted dish at the fort because of the trees so I depend on the cable, and now I can't even watch cable on my analog TVs without a converter box?  The wiring to neither TV is accessable without a lot of work pulling them out so how do I hook up a digital converter box?

Just made an 18 night reservation for October. I can't use my rooftop mounted dish at the fort because of the trees so I depend on the cable, and now I can't even watch cable on my analog TVs without a converter box? The wiring to neither TV is accessable without a lot of work pulling them out so how do I hook up a digital converter box?

Not sure if you can put the converter box where you connet the cable to your unit or not I have heard it can be done that way, but that means all TV's must watch the same channel. As to you roof top SAT dish, depending on what site you get it may work since you may find a opening in the trees. We've been in different sites in 100, 200 & 400 where our has worked. As a last resort they still have the basic network channels on analog, channels 2-6

Not sure if you can put the converter box where you connet the cable to your unit or not I have heard it can be done that way, but that means all TV's must watch the same channel. As to you roof top SAT dish, depending on what site you get it may work since you may find a opening in the trees. We've been in different sites in 100, 200 & 400 where our has worked. As a last resort they still have the basic network channels on analog, channels 2-6

The cable box is connected to the cable jack at the site, and then you connect your cable to the cable out connection on the box.  So, in this case, I guess the cable box would be outside the rig.

That means the TV's will get the same channel.  And, to add to the fun, you would have to go outside (or maybe stick the cable box remote out the window) to change the channel.   The cable boxes aren't weather proof, so something would need to be rigged outside to protect it.

TCD

Does the fort allow external sat dishes?  I've been thinking about getting a Vu Qube or something like that for when we have a wooded site. 

This may also be the push I need to replace my old TVs with new digital flat screens. I'll probably be running into this situation more and more.

Does the fort allow external sat dishes?  I've been thinking about getting a Vu Qube or something like that for when we have a wooded site. 

Sure do. I have the one that Winegard makes that looks like a suit case for when the roof mount doesn't work, but we only have Direct TV SD not HD.

Sure do. I have the one that Winegard makes that looks like a suit case for when the roof mount doesn't work, but we only have Direct TV SD not HD.

I have DirecTV SD too.  That's all I need.  I'm not sure what loop I'll get. We're using our DVC points for a premium site and I guess we'll be in a pet loop since I told them we travel with 2 cats. When we were at the fort in October 2012 we were in the 600 loop. 

The first time I used a Disney converter in out previous MH there was trouble in the post, so a techie came over to work on it.  He put the converter in the utility bay and connected so both TV's had to watch the same channel.  The next day with a few sketches, I figured how to separate them with a splitter.  Front TV through the DIsney converter watching cable, the Bedroom TV through the government converter watching OTA.   After that I replaced the rear TV with a flat screen and rewired everything to put both on cable at the Fort (front through a Disney converter, rear directly cabled). We have the same setup in our new-to-us MH, but it is so much simpler if both TV's are flat screen and digital ready.

The first time I used a Disney converter in out previous MH there was trouble in the post, so a techie came over to work on it.  He put the converter in the utility bay and connected so both TV's had to watch the same channel.  

I knew someone said they did that before. The remotes must be radio frequency and not infared.

One thing I forgot to mention is that they don't have enough of those cable boxes on hand to meet guest demand.

Over my New Year's Eve trip this past December/January, I was on the waiting list.  After the first day with no call, I went back to check on my status.  I was still down the list, and it didn't appear I would get a box.  Sorry, the CM told me, this is a holiday and the campground was full to capacity.

I asked to speak to a manager. My intention was to tell him or her that it was unacceptable for them to not have enough boxes.  They created this problem, and they charge almost double the normal rate to rent a site during holidays.  If I'm paying through the nose to stay there, then they need to spend some of that extra money they're raking in providing basic services to guests.

I never got a chance to complain, though, because the manager came out of her office with a cable box for me.  She apologized and said she had several of the kits in her office, but the inventory label on the remotes did not match the box, so she thought they wouldn't work.  She said I was welcome to try this one.  The problem is that even when it's connected, you can't change the channel on your TV- it has to stay on channel 3 or 4, and you had to change the channel on the box.  And get this- these are such cheap crappy boxes that there aren't even buttons on them to change the channel manually.  You can only change channels with their remote.  It didn't make sense to me that the remotes had to be matched with a specific box-after all these are the cheapest crappiest cable boxes there are-and it turned out the remote worked fine.  In the meantime, those other kits sat unused in the manager's office and all the other people on the waiting list above me would continue to wait.

I hate to say it because the lady who helped me at the Meadow Trading post was very nice, but the Fort is managed by a bunch of idiots.

Bottom line- it's time to update your TV's to this century.  If you have a digital ready TV, you don't need their stupid crappy cable box.

TCD

I knew someone said they did that before. The remotes must be radio frequency and not infared.

Are some of the remotes IR and some RF?  Do you get a choice?  I bought a Next Generation Remote Controller Extender off of Amazon that I use with my DirecTV box and it converts the remote from IR to RF. I guess I could use that with the Disney cable box if I had to hook it up in the utility bay.

Are some of the remotes IR and some RF?  Do you get a choice?  I bought a Next Generation Remote Controller Extender off of Amazon that I use with my DirecTV box and it converts the remote from IR to RF. I guess I could use that with the Disney cable box if I had to hook it up in the utility bay.

I've never used a DISNEY converter, but based on what Ken said they must all be RF so you wouldn't need to change yours.

Unless you are really into Disney propaganda TV, I prefer using my antenna.

Crazy question, in the resorts when you turn the tv off it always resets to a Disney channel when you turn it back on, there is no way they can do that in the campground is there?

Nope. Whatever channel your TV is on when it goes off is the channel you have when your turn it on. Just like home.