Getting to the Dog Park

We will not have a golf cart.  So what happens if we are in say the 900 loop which looks to be a ways from the dog bark.  Is there a walk way that dogs are allowed on to get to the bark park?  

and while I am thinking of it, what about running with a dog in the mornings along a path/trail?  I sure do not want to wake anyone with morning running if a puppy catches sight of us from a window.  or if I go by myself.  But I figure if I go by myself I will be out on the main sidewalks away from the campers (?)   

My Fort experience is 1 Hoop de Doo, maybe 3 or 4 visits to Trails End and a Haunted Hayride.  So I am using the Google Earth loop info to try to get a lay of the land for sidewalks and dog bark.  

It's getting close.  We are counting down!!!!  

Any Fort and Pup advise is always welcome.   (Any Fort advise will be gobbled up!)  

Thanks!!!!!

Diane

p.s.  I wrote down those vet names/phone numbers. That was on my list of things to do.  BIG Thanks for those  :)

You have alot of sidewalk across the street heading in both directions when you come out of the 900 loop so either way you go on the sidewalk you will not be cutting through any loops to disturb any other "pups".. I think you best bet for getting to the dog park is go left out of the loop, walk down to the CS that serves the 400/500 loop ( which is on your right along the walk) go right into the 500 loop, when you get into the loop turn left and take it to you hit the entrance to the loop and the dog park is right across the street.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Grumpy and Grandma!  I haven't put in a site/loop request yet but that helps knowing that if we do get over that away we will have no issues walking the leggy one to run of some energy. I think if the little one sees a lizard it will be enough excitement to result in a full afternoon of napping  ;-)

Thanks!!!!

Diane

Since your a newbie, I mapped out the route that Grumpy described in his post:

900todogpark_zpsec958b33.jpg

The Fort management does a terrible job providing information about the pet rules, but there are actually small signs directing guests with pets to use the sidewalk adjacent to the 400/500 loop comfort station to access the dog park.

They don't want pets going from the 600, 700, 800 or 900 loops to go to the dog park via Big Pine Drive- they want to pets to be walked through the 500 loop.  There is signage at the intersection of Big Pine and Ft. Wilderness Trail saying "No Pets Beyond This Point."  Like all the other Fort rules, you will routinely see people walking pets right past those signs.  But the signs are there.

As far as a good place for you to take a run with your dog where you won't disturb anyone- I would suggest the grassy area next to the canal behind the 300 loop.

TCD

As far as a good place for you to take a run with your dog where you won't disturb anyone- I would suggest the grassy area next to the canal behind the 300 loop.

I'll second that recommendation.  Our oldest dog is not a good dog park dog, so I usually take him for a jaunt down the 300 canal dog walk.  We rarely ever encounter another dog out there.  Although we do sometimes get barked at by dogs in the handful of campsites that back up to the canal.  They're not super close, though.

DSC_0452_zps7d52914c.jpg

Yup, those are the signs I'm talking about.

If you pay attention to their placement, and the "No Pets Beyond this Point" signs, you will see that the plan apparently is to keep dogs from going south of the 900 loop entrance.  There is similar signage near the road that leads to the 1600-1900 loops, again trying to keep dogs from going south on Big Pine Dr.

It wouldn't be very much trouble for the Fort Management to print up rules so pet owners would know what they're supposed to do.  But, that's not how the Fort is operated.

TCD

Thanks for the pics, Todd!

It wouldn't be very much trouble for the Fort Management to print up rules so pet owners would know what they're supposed to do.  But, that's not how the Fort is operated.

Aw, come on, TCD... the dog park has only been there for what, 5 or 6 years now?  Clearly these things take time!   8)

• 1 year later...

On the subject of the 1600-1900 loops, about how far of a walk is it from this area to the dog park?  We will be camping at FTW for the first time this June, and I have asked on other boards about how far the park is, but no one has really answered me.  On Google Earth it looks like its 100miles, but everything looks bigger on Google Earth...

Welcome CoreyG!

It's definitely not 100 miles.  LOL

From the entrance to the 1600-1900 loops along the main road to the dog park is roughly 0.5 mile. 

If it's helpful, we've got a bunch more info on the layout of the sites/loops at the Fort - including videos of all camping loops, maps, and links to a Fort Fiends mobile app (specs and photos of all sites), and a Google Earth application on this page...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loop-information/site-classifications-r61

On the subject of the 1600-1900 loops, about how far of a walk is it from this area to the dog park?  We will be camping at FTW for the first time this June, and I have asked on other boards about how far the park is, but no one has really answered me.  On Google Earth it looks like its 100miles, but everything looks bigger on Google Earth...

Other boards?

Why?

THIS is the only board you need.

The dog park is .43 miles from the entrance to the full hook up loops:

dogpark_zpsfc4a1ac5.jpg

What else do you need to know?

TCD

Welcome!!! I can tell by you're avatar that you are an awesome person! Feel free to ask away. 

Go Dawgs! 

• 1 year later...
On January 13, 2015 at 1:51 PM, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Welcome CoreyG!

It's definitely not 100 miles.  LOL

From the entrance to the 1600-1900 loops along the main road to the dog park is roughly 0.5 mile. 

If it's helpful, we've got a bunch more info on the layout of the sites/loops at the Fort - including videos of all camping loops, maps, and links to a Fort Fiends mobile app (specs and photos of all sites), and a Google Earth application on this page...

http://www.fortfiends.net/_/accomodations/loop-information/site-classifications-r61

This link wouldn't work for me. Can you tell me if there's another way to view the info? I'm new to this site. Thanks

On 3/6/2016 at 3:02 AM, Squeaky said:

This link wouldn't work for me. Can you tell me if there's another way to view the info? I'm new to this site. Thanks

Here you go...

We've had a glitch with the recent software update that the powers that be are still working on.

WELCOME!