Poly DVC offiicially announced

I posted this in the DVC Section also, but figured more people will see it here.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/other--proposed-resorts/2392-polynesian-dvc-announced

Thanks for the link.

If that's the entire press release- then they haven't really provided any details about what is actually going to be built.

Will it be a new building?  Or are they going to make existing rooms into DVC rooms (which is what one rumor says)?

TCD

My sources tell me that this will be Disney's very first "Virtual Resort", utilizing the latest in 3D Flat Panel technology.  The new "villas" will actually just be trailers installed in the Poly parking lot, but every interior wall space will be a high-tech display showing images taken from the Four Seasons Resort in Bora Bora.  Imagine the virtual portholes on the DCL ships, only instead of one porthole every wall is a huge screen.  You'll think you are staying in a thatch hut built over the lagoon, when in reality you will be sleeping in a converted shipping container in the parking lot.  Because the technology is new and there may be glitches, DVC is only charging $90,000 upfront to buy in. 

Orlando Sentinel posted just this...

By Jason Garcia, Orlando Sentinel
5:43 p.m. EDT, September 17, 2013

One of Walt Disney World's oldest hotels is getting a time-share addition.
Disney Vacation Club, the time-share arm of the Walt Disney Co., announced
Tuesday that it is building new units at Disney's Polynesian Resort, the
42-year-old, tropically themed hotel on the Magic Kingdom monorail line.
Disney did not say how many time-share units it will build at the hotel.
Construction, which began this month, is expected to be completed sometime
in 2015.

The Polynesian will become Disney Vacation Club's 13th property and its
ninth at Disney World. With the completion of this project, the company's
time-share business will have inventory at all three hotels along Disney
World's iconic monorail, including the roughly 300-unit Bay Lake Tower at
Disney's Contemporary Resort, which opened in 2009, and the roughly 150-unit
Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, which is scheduled to open
Oct. 23.

In addition to the time shares, Disney said it would renovate other guest
areas in the Polynesian hotel, though it did not provide further details.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-09-17/business/os-disney-polynesian-vacation-club-20130917_1_walt-disney-world-time-shares-disney-vacation-club

That's great. We haven't stay at the Poly before and we've rented, twice now from a DVC rental company and its cheaper then paying for hotel room at the same property.

I can't wait to stay at the Poly DVC.

How about a name or link for that company?  I've never rented DVC points, but I would consider it.  I wouldn't mind a few nights in Bay Lake Tower.  Can you give a short description of how it works/approximate cost?

TCD

How about a name or link for that company?  I've never rented DVC points, but I would consider it.  I wouldn't mind a few nights in Bay Lake Tower.  Can you give a short description of how it works/approximate cost?

TCD

I believe this is it http://www.dvcrequest.com/ I have used him to rent out our points when we could not use them, in my opinion he was very good to work with and does offer deals at time when the points are running out soon, good luck and I hope this what you were looking for.

I believe this is it http://www.dvcrequest.com/ I have used him to rent out our points when we could not use them, in my opinion he was very good to work with and does offer deals at time when the points are running out soon, good luck and I hope this what you were looking for.

Thanks.

It looks complicated.  Can you give an example of what if might cost to stay in a DVC resort by renting points.  Are there any drawbacks?  I assume you get a KTTW card and all the perks of an on-site guest.

TCD

Thanks.

It looks complicated.  Can you give an example of what if might cost to stay in a DVC resort by renting points.  Are there any drawbacks?  I assume you get a KTTW card and all the perks of an on-site guest.

TCD

I have lots of friends who do it. It's not as complicated as it sounds. A very close friend uses Pam at www.dvcrentalstore.com. You can use their calculator here http://dvcrentalstore.com/points-calculator/ to figure out how many points you need. Then, it's a set dollar amount per point.

We've used dvcrequest.com. I did a lot of research and he has a great reputation and their easy to deal with. Once I put the wrong dates and booked it. I called as soon as I realized MY mistake and they changed it. No questions no extra fees. It's really easy to use. Click on the pints calculator enter the dates you'd like to stay and then it takes you to the page that shows the points required for each resort and room catergories. Put your mouse over the room you want and it shows the price. Or multiply by $14 per point. Then you out down a $98 deposit and they try to find you your request. If its available done. And you pay the balance.

If its not available they will give you alternatives. If you don't like the alternatives they immediately refund your money.

Ex. Bay lake December 22-29, 2013 in a studio.

$2282.00

Same unit January 12-19, 2014.

$1428.00

I was trying to look up prices if booked directly thru disneyworld.com. But for some reason my phone is not allowing me to check. Or it's Disney site.

http://www.dvc-rental.com/

That's who we use. We have rented from him twice, my parents twice and my mom's friend has had Scott rented her points out for her a few times.

I like to do it to try out different resorts but we don't make it the majority of our stay. Partially because I'm cheap and because I like daily maid service because we use a lot of towels/washrags.

I should also probably add I know Scott's wife. We used to work with her, well where I worked did. Our trucking company used to haul stuff for her company, but I quit almost 5 years ago and she switched companies. That said, I trust Scott to do business with him.

We've used dvcrequest.com. I did a lot of research and he has a great reputation and their easy to deal with. Once I put the wrong dates and booked it. I called as soon as I realized MY mistake and they changed it. No questions no extra fees. It's really easy to use. Click on the pints calculator enter the dates you'd like to stay and then it takes you to the page that shows the points required for each resort and room catergories. Put your mouse over the room you want and it shows the price. Or multiply by $14 per point. Then you out down a $98 deposit and they try to find you your request. If its available done. And you pay the balance.

If its not available they will give you alternatives. If you don't like the alternatives they immediately refund your money.

Ex. Bay lake December 22-29, 2013 in a studio.

$2282.00

Same unit January 12-19, 2014.

$1428.00

I was trying to look up prices if booked directly thru disneyworld.com. But for some reason my phone is not allowing me to check. Or it's Disney site.

Thanks, Ray that is what I was looking for.  It's still expensive, but a lot less than a room in the Contemporary tower would be.  I think I'd rather stay in a moderate resort than a studio room, but if I ever want to stay in a monorail resort, I'll remember this.

TCD

The Grand Villas are A LOT more points the other rooms and the Grand Floridian is A LOT higher then the other resorts in points, therefore will be more to rent out.

If you can rent from someone directly, sometimes you can get the points for $10 - $12 a point.  When you are talking about 100 - 300 a reservation, those few dollars make a huge difference.  There are drawbacks renting from a user, rather then someone that does it as a business.  Always make sure to get a confirmation number and a contract with the person.  When getting a 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom, treehouse villa or a grand villa you get a Full refrigerator, Cooktop, Oven and Washer and Dryer.  That is one reason maid service does not come as often.  If I had more points, I would think about renting them out, but would probably just go more.

Thanks, Ray that is what I was looking for. It's still expensive, but a lot less than a room in the Contemporary tower would be. I think I'd rather stay in a moderate resort than a studio room, but if I ever want to stay in a monorail resort, I'll remember this.

TCD

Oh but wait a minute, great wordsmith of the TRs. A studio is better than a moderate room. Mod rooms have two double beds or maybe a king.

Studios have a king or two queens and sleeper sofa, depends on availability. And they have a mini fridge, coffee maker, and microwave.

For our trip in may June. We are getting a studio at AKV for 7 nights.

Cost. $1330.00

Booked thru Disney for a room at AKL

$2937.00

Port Orleans for same week.

$1544.

You see it's actual cheaper to get a bigger room at a "better" resort for less money. The only difference I've noticed is not having daily room service.

And if your like Beckers or my DW, who uses a lot of towels just step into the hall or call down to housekeeping and they'll exchange the towels for you. We've done that several times and have never been charged extra.

Oh but wait a minute, great wordsmith of the TRs. A studio is better than a moderate room. Mod rooms have two double beds or maybe a king.

Studios have a king or two queens and sleeper sofa, depends on availability. And they have a mini fridge, coffee maker, and microwave.

For our trip in may June. We are getting a studio at AKV for 7 nights.

Cost. $1330.00

Booked thru Disney for a room at AKL

$2937.00

Port Orleans for same week.

$1544.

You see it's actual cheaper to get a bigger room at a "better" resort for less money. The only difference I've noticed is not having daily room service.

And if your like Beckers or my DW, who uses a lot of towels just step into the hall or call down to housekeeping and they'll exchange the towels for you. We've done that several times and have never been charged extra.

Wordsmith?  LOL. Hardly.

I have stayed in studio rooms at DVC resorts. We've also stayed in one bedroom DVC units at Vero Beach and Boardwalk. 

The studio units make me feel like I don't belong.  There is usually a connecting door to an adjacent two bedroom unit.  Personally, I prefer a moderate resort room to a DVC studio room. The studio rooms I've stayed in did not have two beds and a sleeper sofa.  They just had one bed and a sleeper sofa.  I know for sure the last one we stayed in at SSR was that way.

There are usually discounts for Florida residents and passholders on moderate rooms, so I think I would be able to beat that $1544 for a week price on a moderate and come in for less than what your DVC studio would cost renting points.  Now, I do have to concede that AKV is a nicer resort than a moderate, and the $190 an night you are paying sounds like a very good deal.

TCD

If we do DVC it's animal kingdom lodge savanah view. I would like to stay at wherever storms long bay is just to use that too. Oh and a BLT for a theme park view.

You have to do beach club. It's my new favorite Stormalongbay is awesome. Sand bottom pool, lazy river, the pool slide. Great bar and food poolside. The poolside service was great. Never waited for a beer or food and there are CM at all the entrances to keep out the common folks. Not like at the meadows pool. Lol. Don't forget beaches n cream and a five minute walk to Epcot and the boardwalk. If I had the guts and the time I'd do a TR about our trip this summer. It was one of our best trips ever.

We like BLT but the lake view is actually better than a theme park view IMO.

If youre a savvy requester you can get a theme park view with your lake view and pay lake view points instead of MK view points. Check out my two BLT TRs and you can see our "lake view" which also included a MK view.

Lake view on the opposite side would get you EWP and Epcot Fireworks view I believe.

We had a savannah view at Kidani Village last Oct. although is was a great view is was a very long walk to the pool and bar but a very nice resort. This New Years it's a Tree House!!!!!!