Holy Smokes!  No backing up with the first setup eh? Your a brave man!  How long were you in the first picture and second?  We have to get through IL (60' combined) and Georgia (60' combined) and we will be 68'.  We get stopped and have to drop trailer we will have to use our golf cart to haul it home.

:clint:

Ever heard of insurance denial for a crash due to speeding, DUI, improper maintenance, texting, etc?

Good points.

I based my comments on a scenario that happened to a guy I know.  He was working as a maintenance man in a mobile home park.  He did something to aggravate one of the angry old man tenants, and the old man got in his car and tried to run the maintenance man over. The maintenance man was able to react, and only got clipped, but suffered a broken arm and torn rotor cuff.  The old man got arrested and charged with a crime for trying to un the guy over.  The guy made a claim against the old man's insurance company.  The insurance company's response was to file a lawsuit against the old man seeking to have a judge declare that they were not responsible since the old man committed an intentional criminal act, and they were only responsible for his negligent acts.  The whole thing ended up getting settled, but the insurance company tried to escape liability for the whole mess.  Knowing how insurance companies are, I could see them trying something like that if there was an injury caused by someone intentionally making an illegal tow.

TCD

It is legal in Louisiana. I do it from time to time. Here is a picture from this past May.

20130505_131056_zpse0c9a2ca.jpg

I have done it twice to the Fort with the golf cart. I was nervous the whole time in Florida as I understand it is not legal in Florida. Due to that I prefer to go to the Fort with this:

32202_131223876888655_100000031307365_34

Option 2 looks much better than option 1.

TCD

d4andtrail_zps31837fac.jpg don't know if any of you saw this Powerhouse Coach on epic RVs but he pulls a large boat behind this. From what I was told by a friend who drives an 18 wheeler there is no limit on interstate highways and as long as you don't abuse it cops will leave you alone. Also the rules are different for RVs.

D

Oddly enough I just saw the episode of Epic RV's with this one featured on today.

They had pictures of the interior and an interview with the owner.

He was also hauling the boat at the time and it does match the RV and Trailer.

I believe that with all 3 together he said it was about 120 feet long.

Holy Smokes!  No backing up with the first setup eh? Your a brave man!  How long were you in the first picture and second?  We have to get through IL (60' combined) and Georgia (60' combined) and we will be 68'.  We get stopped and have to drop trailer we will have to use our golf cart to haul it home.

:clint:

First picture is 72 feet....2 feet over legal in Louisiana. Second picture is 61 feet.

And Option 2 looks a lot more expensive than Option 1!

Actually, Option two is cheaper. Only because the truck was a company truck that had earned its cost many times over and the true cost of it was only having the conversion done on it, which was less than the cost of the Dually in option one.

And option two gets better fuel mileage than option one by almost two miles per gallon.

It is legal in Louisiana. I do it from time to time. Here is a picture from this past May.

I have done it twice to the Fort with the golf cart. I was nervous the whole time in Florida as I understand it is not legal in Florida. Due to that I prefer to go to the Fort with this:

Is that the same rig you had last Christmas at the fort? We were heading to the buses when you were trying to load the golf cart. You probably didn't see us waving as you were busy.

I get so nervous when I see big rigs towing stuff behind them or triple set-ups.  Because I think many of the folks who attempt it aren't qualified or trained to drive such a set-up.  I would say that first photo Gwen posted is probably a professional driver, and I know Spec is a professional, having once had a conversation about placards with him on here.  I am talking about the people who cannot even drive their 4 door sedan safely attempting to tow huge RV's, boats, or both.  I do not mean to offend any of you reading who do this, and I don't assume every elaborate towing setup I see on the highways has a poor driver at the helm.  You can usually tell which ones to watch out for by how they drive.  That's when I tell my husband to get in front of that person or slow way down, or take a bathroom break!

That said, I could use that kind of storage space!  I bring everything with us because when we pull into a campground and set up, I like to stay put.

I get so nervous when I see big rigs towing stuff behind them or triple set-ups. Because I think many of the folks who attempt it aren't qualified or trained to drive such a set-up I am talking about the people who cannot even drive their 4 door sedan safely attempting to tow huge RV's, boats, or both.

I'm with you. I don't understand why a license or endorsement isn't required?

That said, some of the scariest driving I see is in the parking lot of my son's preschool. Mom's driving too fast, on their phones in their big SUVs, pulling into parking spaces like they are in a race, etc. I always arrive early, park in the back and leave after the crowd. It's awful.

Was that truck built as a single or a conversion?

It was originally built with just a single rear axle. It was a standard cab truck with a 48 inch sleeper with a tank mounted on it like a Propane truck. It was converted by Schwalbe Trucks of Muenster, Texas when we retired it from commercial service. http://www.schwalbetrucks.com/

That said, some of the scariest driving I see is in the parking lot of my son's preschool. Mom's driving too fast, on their phones in their big SUVs, pulling into parking spaces like they are in a race, etc. I always arrive early, park in the back and leave after the crowd. It's awful.

Agreed! That is my DD's elementary school.

What Jody fails to mention here is that he was a professional driver in his former life. He's not only extremely safety conscious, he's instinctually careful, something he's always been even before his days behind the wheel.

The first set up also has been considered and at times reconsidered. He might decide not to double tow. The important bits are to consider your route. Plan ahead for your stops and traffic lights. Slow down plenty of space in front and behind. No talking. We don't talk to him, he doesn't talk to us. I might go all day headed to the fort and only speak a handful of words to him while driving. He decides where and when we stop for meals. Some places are just out, no question. And he scouts exits, restaurants etc. Always. We stop at the same places to sleep, to eat, to fuel up, to pee. Our dogs have specific rest areas we go to. All based on safety in leaving the flow of traffic, parking, and entering the flow of traffic.

It's a job. I'm proud of him. :)