We are arriving at The Fort on January 2, 2014.  Hopefully something will open up for an earlier arrival, but we need a back up plan.  We will be traveling with my daughter and 2 grandkids while my son in law is deployed.  If The Fort doesn't open up, we were looking at other campgrounds for a few days.  Does anyone know anything (good or bad) about Pecan Park?  I post this in the off site forum and realized that I should have posted it here.

Have not stayed there, but the only review on RV Park reviews was 8 out of 10 stars, they said the park was neat and clean and they were there this Sept. That's all I could find on it.

Pecan Park is at least 2 hours away from the Fort.  If you can't make it to the fort in one day then that will be a perfect stop over as it is just off I95 north of Jacksonville.  If you are going to be in the Orlando area at the end of your travel day then you have many options including Tropical Palms or the Orange county park, I think its called Turkey lake.  There is also a KOA on sr192 in Kissimmee.  Or the best idea is to call the Fort when you arrive and see if they have a vacancy due to a cancelation.

When at Pecan Park, you'll be either on the approach end or departure end of the airport runway.  As long at that doesn't bother you, it's a great stop. We find that stuff entertaining.  When stopped over night at NAS Lemoore, we'd sit out and watch everyone practice their approaches while everyone else was complaining about the noise.  Pecan Park is also a Passport America park, if you have that discount program.  David  

We are arriving at The Fort on January 2, 2014.  Hopefully something will open up for an earlier arrival, but we need a back up plan.  We will be traveling with my daughter and 2 grandkids while my son in law is deployed.  If The Fort doesn't open up, we were looking at other campgrounds for a few days.  Does anyone know anything (good or bad) about Pecan Park?  I post this in the off site forum and realized that I should have posted it here.

Lived in Jacksonville for 22 years and never stayed there, but passed it often.  I have read good and bad reviews about it.  As for the safety concern, I don't think it's too bad and the park is maintained and watched over pretty well from what I've heard.  It is pretty active in the summer months with lots of activities for kids, etc., winter I don't know.  It's close to the Jacksonville Zoo and the Budweiser brewery where you can go on free tours and you may even catch the Clydesdales on tour during that time of year.  

I am also trying to get reservations during the same time window.  I began trying to make them when we checked out on 1/4/13 for the next year and still haven't gotten in.  It is so frustrating because I know most of the people who have bogged down the books with reservations probably won't even end up going.  When I lived there, I had the advantage of waiting for those folks to cancel out and jump on the openings.  Now that I am so far away I need to plan ahead, and like you, are having to book a back up plan which could entail losing money if we do in fact get into the Fort.  Our families are on the Southside of town and St. Augustine so we will stay south of Jacksonville, or park the camper at our friend's business and stay with one of them.

Debbie - I apologize but I was thinking of the wrong campground - I thought it was the one off of 295 but that one is called Flamingo Lake. Disregard what I said about Pecan Park I know zip about that one!

I thought of another one for you to consider, the KOA in St. Mary's GA isn't too bad, had some fun kid stuff, free breakfast not a bad place for a couple of nights. And it's just North of Jacksonville so still an easy drive to the Fort.

• 2 weeks later...

we stayed there on our way to disney in August. It was clean, had a nice pool and sites were reasonable. Nothing fancy but it served the purpose for a safe, clean overnight. There is a flea market next door on Saturdays and vendors will stay in the campground. We never felt unsafe in fact quite the opposite. They offer good Sam discounts also.